PDA

View Full Version : Ogre Kingdoms V Tomb Kings - A Christmas Conundrum!

Metacarpi
11-15-2013, 03:11 AM
Hi guys!

I've got a little bit of a conundrum, and I was hoping to get some feedback.

And by get some feedback, I mean talk out loud and see what people chip in with!

So Christmas is rolling around, and family are asking what me and my partner want. For the past few years we've asked for joint stuff for the house - furniture usually. This year I've put my foot down and said we should both ask for whatever we want!

So, having browsed the GW webstore for inspiration, I've decided that it would be dandy if Santa would bring me a Battalion set for a new army! I already have Skaven, Daemon, and WoC armies, and the ones I'm looking at for Christmas are Ogre Kingdoms and Tomb Kings - I imagine that's come as a bit of a surprise to you all, considering the thread title! Maybe I should have spoiler alerted the title! :p

Now, I'm by no means a "power gamer" or anything like that, I like to think that I much prefer to follow the "rule of cool" when it comes to my armies. That's what's giving me the trouble deciding!

Now, when it comes to Ogre Kingdoms, I'm thinking that I might make each unit look like it's been touched by the hand of one of the Chaos Gods - my warbands going to have spent a few years wandering the northern wastes, and it's only natural that they've attracted the attention of the gods. I think this could make for an interesting looking army, which helps negate the somewhat uniform look of the Ogres. Basically I think it's an army ripe for conversion!

Tomb Kings on the other hand.... who doesn't love a bit of Ancient Egyptian themed warfare? These guys also have quite a few nice looking models like the Necropolis Knights, their Chariots, and their Constructs. Less scope for conversion (well, by that I mean I have very few ideas beyond kitbashing), but on the other hand - spray them white, give 'em a wash and pick out the details and you're done.

EDIT: I should also note that I've read Mr. Mysterys "Getting to Grips with the Tomb Kings" as well, great read, very informative and well written! Can't wait for his OK one!

So, Bell of Lost Souls - talk to me about these armies! Tell me your experiences building, painting, and converting! Sell me on them with your tales!

Phew, quite the wall of text there!

Cheers guys,

Metacarpi

ElectricPaladin
11-15-2013, 08:25 AM
It sounds to me like you are more excited by the prospect of Ogres. I'd go with them.

That said, I personally think that Tomb Kings are more mechanically exciting. They have lots of weird rules, stuff coming back from the dead, stuff being added to units, and a cool and idiosyncratic set of Lores to chose from. And also, they have a cooler backstory and fluff in my mind, being weirdly pitiful cursed anti-heroes.

But I play Lizardmen and Vampire Counts, which gives you an idea of the play aesthetic I like.

Honestly, I'd say to follow your bliss. It sounds like you really want to do a Chaosy Ogre Kingdoms army. This is entirely to the good, and you will have fun with it. I say go for it.

Metacarpi
11-15-2013, 09:19 AM
I think that's the crux of it - modelling V gameplay.

First world problems of the highest order! :p

ElectricPaladin
11-15-2013, 10:27 AM
So, I think playstyle is - if anything - more important than aesthetic. You can do whatever you want to a model to make it match your personal aesthetic, if you have the skill and the interest, but you can't do much with GW's rules.

MAVV
11-15-2013, 03:43 PM
I've recently started an OK army with a Chaos-theme too (hello minotaurs) and so far I love it. "Pretending" to be my Slaughtermaster Bonemasher is great fun during games, especially against elves who taste funky. Definitely go with which army you feel is more you and go crazy! You can always start the other army next year :)

Chronowraith
11-15-2013, 04:19 PM
In general I agree with what EP said.

As someone who plays Tomb Kings and who actively plays against Ogres on a regular basis... Ogres are far more competitive but they have their own pitfalls. Your whole army will likely be less than 40 figures at the normal points level(i.e. 2500 points). You'll feel every lose pretty significantly while with Tomb Kings if you lose a few skeletons here and there (or even chariots, Ushabti, etc) they are replaceable. In terms of gameplay the two armies couldn't be further apart. Ogres play like a sledgehammer. You hit your opponent as hard and fast as you can and hope you break them. Tomb Kings function more like a screwdriver (or a shiv).

damage
11-18-2013, 11:47 PM
Not sure if I completely get on board with Chronowraith's shiv simile, but otherwise yeah. Completely different army comp and play style. If you want to invest in each mini, go for ogres. If you want a greater buffer, go for TKs. If you have an awesome concept, go for it.

Wildeybeast
11-19-2013, 11:05 AM
I say go with dwarves. Especially as the are likely to get an update soon after Christmas

Mr Mystery
11-19-2013, 11:08 AM
I'd agree with the above. Apart from Dwarves. Who are evil.

I'm a massive Ogre fan, as they are a great army to play. However, Tomb Kings offer a more strategically satisfying game for their player.

ElectricPaladin
11-19-2013, 11:18 AM
I wonder how many armies we can make apt weapon comparisons to:

• Lizardmen: Quarterstaff - blunt, powerful, and subtler than it first appears; not the fastest weapon, but with surprisingly effective defensive techniques.
• Vampire Counts: Stiletto - a single decisive blow hidden among a cloud of feints.
• Dwarves: Blunderbuss - powerful at range, but not much more than a durable hunk of metal in close combat.
• Ogre Kingdoms: Sledgehammer - fast and powerful, but not a lot of subtlety, and had to recover once you're committed.
• Tomb Kings: Shiv - ???

Mr Mystery
11-19-2013, 11:21 AM
Oge Kingdoms - Supercharged Steamroller. Turns enemy into splutchy pancakes when hitting with their front. But, get them in the flank and it's curtains!

Wildeybeast
11-19-2013, 11:24 AM
Empire- adjustable spanner. Good for any job.

Also, dwarves are awesome. He should definitely get dwarves.

Mr Mystery
11-19-2013, 11:27 AM
No, Dwarves are evil.

Anyways. Main downside to Ogre armies? You need momentum. More so than any other army, it needs to be your boys calling the shots and getting the charge. We're so vulnerable in the flanks it's not funny, and due to expense, very rare we'll be the ones benefitting from Steadfast, so a botched combat turns ugly very, very quickly!

But, get that initial momentum, and you'll roll your opponent no trouble.

Unless it's Witch Elves with Okkam's Mindrazor. Don't run into that. It hurts. But only briefly.

ElectricPaladin
11-19-2013, 11:30 AM
Empire- adjustable spanner. Good for any job.

And not actually a weapon. Is that a metaphor for something about the Empire? :p

Wildeybeast
11-19-2013, 11:38 AM
And not actually a weapon. Is that a metaphor for something about the Empire? :p

You've clearly never hit anyone round the head with one.

ElectricPaladin
11-19-2013, 11:43 AM
You've clearly never hit anyone round the head with one.

Touché.

Mr Mystery
11-19-2013, 11:50 AM
It's more of a dull 'clang' sound in my experience.