PDA

View Full Version : A Question for Space Marine Players

Sizzly
11-13-2013, 08:55 AM
Greetings, my miniature addicted friends.

I have a query for all you Space Marine Players. Some back ground: I'm working on a website that allows one to chronicle the glories of their little toy soldiers. It tracks battle results, manages leagues, provides galleries and photo space, awards achievements for accomplishing certain things, etc. I'm VERY proud of it. My local gaming crowd is playing the role of my guinea pigs and they've embraced it (as has a local store for league management and that makes me EXTREMELY happy). The best bit? It's system agnostic. It'll handle 40K, WM/H, WFB, X-wing and any others I make active. It's live but in Beta.

The question: So I got a quick glance at the Space Marine Codex whilst playing against DeathFang last weekend. In particular the Chapter Traits/Doctrines. It strikes me that folks will be selecting a doctrine 100% of the time. With that in mind, what are your thoughts on adding the specified chapters as distinct options as an army on iToysoldiers? So for example, rather than selecting "Space Marines" one would choose "Ultramarines", "Raven Guard", "White Scars", etc. I'm not a space marine player so I'm not sure if it'd be handy.

Any insight you can provide would be grand.

Thanks!

Charistoph
11-13-2013, 09:29 AM
I would approve of it, but then I'm a Templars player and a little miffed about our situation with the codex.

Popsical
11-13-2013, 09:36 AM
As all of the chapters are successors of a legion (supposedly) they will pretty much all have one of the traits/tactics.
I think its a great idea. Fw have supplied us with a plethora of other options too, so its win win.
BT players seem to prefer their old shooty dex. Cant win em all.

Sizzly
11-13-2013, 09:46 AM
Forge World has Chapter traits? Where can I find a list of 'em?

Wolfshade
11-13-2013, 10:00 AM
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Downloads/Product/PDF/F/FWchaptertactics.pdf

Sizzly
11-13-2013, 10:16 AM
Thank you, sir!

Wolfshade
11-13-2013, 10:17 AM
No probs :)

Sizzly
11-13-2013, 10:28 AM
Any thoughts on the question, Wolfshade?

Wolfshade
11-13-2013, 10:32 AM
It is hard to comment without seeing the layout.
But, my initial thought is that it would be useful so that you know what chapter tactics are used throughout, however, there will be people who would dislike picking Ultramarines if they are running Son's of Aurora or whatever.
But certainly all Codex:Space Marines will have some chapter tactic if even if it is the default options.
Playing mostly BA it is not a problem ;)

Sizzly
11-13-2013, 10:49 AM
Well... I see your point. BA has it's own codex so it's already got an entry. Woo hoo!

Here's what I'm doing to address the "vanilla space marine" issue:

1. I'm gonna add the FW chapters that have specific rules.
2. I'm gonna add a "Army Profile" feature that lets folks define unique configs that they can track stats on.
3. Any chapter/army/faction that gets a supplement will get a specific entry in the system.

Right now I'm in the process of revamping the theme and a whole lot of other functions on the site. Once that's done I'll be more happy to share the site. It's at http://itoysoldiers.com if you want to take a look at what's in place right now. There's lots of stuff in progress.

SotonShades
11-14-2013, 05:30 AM
Seems an interesting site, might sign up and have a proper look in a while. will be interesting to see how well it copes with more players getting involved

Site looks reasonably mobile friendly, but is there a version specifically for mobile devices?

Sizzly
11-14-2013, 07:21 AM
Cool. Can't wait to see your battles on there, SotonShades.

To be honest, it isn't really mobile friendly right now. I discovered that when trying to enter a league game a couple o' weeks ago. I am working on that right now, actually. I should have a mobile friendly theme in a week or two.

SotonShades
11-15-2013, 07:35 AM
Hmmm. Don't seem to be getting the registration email through. Shame, because I have a doozy of a battle to open up with :)

Sizzly
11-15-2013, 07:39 AM
Huh. I know that some providers treat my email as spam. Let me see if I can find you and get it sorted.

MurkyOne
11-18-2013, 10:01 AM
This sounds very interesting. I will definitely check it out.

Sizzly
12-11-2013, 08:40 AM
Alrighty. I tried it by adding it to the list of available armies. OMFG. It made the list way too long. So instead I implemented an additional field to capture Chapter Traits when a player records a game using Space Marines. Way more elegant. Just need to figure out how I want to implement the statistical analysis of the data. But yay! Problem solved and solution in place. Many thanks for the feed back, my friends.

deinol
12-11-2013, 02:05 PM
Alrighty. I tried it by adding it to the list of available armies. OMFG. It made the list way too long. So instead I implemented an additional field to capture Chapter Traits when a player records a game using Space Marines. Way more elegant. Just need to figure out how I want to implement the statistical analysis of the data. But yay! Problem solved and solution in place. Many thanks for the feed back, my friends.

You might make all of the supplements a sub selection of the core army. So Eldar and Iyanden both show up under Eldar, but add another level of filtering. Just because besides chapter tactics, the supplements will slowly add a lot of categories to the game.

Sizzly
12-11-2013, 03:29 PM
Yeah. Eventually I'll need to do something about the supplemental lists but right now I just have em as a selectable army. I'm working on how to display the statistics when dealing with child armies (like Iyanden, Black Legion, etc). Once that's sorted I'll revisit how that's all dealt with. Good news/bad news is that, of the games itoysoldiers currently supports 40k is the only one with this problem. Warmachine, Wfb, xwing, and BFG are all pretty straight forward.