PDA

View Full Version : Best Scout Heavy Weapon Option?

Overcaffeinated
11-11-2013, 02:01 PM
BOLS community, I'm looking for your (coherent) thoughts on what you think is the best heavy weapon option for a squad of sniper-equipped scouts.

A) Heavy Bolter

B) Heavy Bolter w/ Hellfire Shell

C) Missile Launcher

D) Missile Launcher w/ Flak Missile

I'd love to get your ideas and strategies.

Haighus
11-11-2013, 03:40 PM
Depending on whether you have the points, I would say heavy bolter with hellfire shell- the wounding on a 2+ matches the wounding of a 4+ of the snipers when it comes to wounding high toughness monstrous creatures and the like, and it gives the scout squad the ability to actually put some damage into infantry units with the blast. The same kinda applies to missile launchers though, so I'm not sure how to choose between the two- I guess it comes down to more versatility, or better hits vs high toughness units like wraithguard.
The flakk missile is fairly expensive for one skyfire shot that isn't that effective however, so I wouldn't take it personally. A normal heavy bolter doesn't add much to the snipers role, but it is the cheapest option.
That would be my summary anyway. People with more experience playing scouts may give better advice.

Wolfshade
11-11-2013, 03:54 PM
I think Missile Launcher is the most versatile, frag and krak options are very useful

Heavy bolter is fine the extra shots are useful mind

I am unconvinced about flak missiles on their own, I can see the point in devastator squads but otherwise they seem a little redundant, there are even other ways to take out air support.

This Dave
11-11-2013, 05:55 PM
With sniper Scouts the Heavy Bolter with Hellfire Shells is probably the best option. Its range is the same and preferred targets are the same as the Sniper Rifles and it's not terribly expensive points wise. Also, if you do have to have the Scouts move it can do okay with three snap shots.

While a Missile Launcher gives the Scouts some ranged anti vehicle firepower if you use it that way you waste all the guys with Sniper Rifles. And a single Flak Missile is way too expensive for what little use it usually ends up being.

labmouse42
11-12-2013, 05:48 AM
If your going to take a heavy weapon, grab the heavy bolter. Its priced fairly for a model with a BS of 3.

The ML is the same price as for a regular marine -- which is just to much IMHO. While scattering is less of an issue for BS 3 than BS4, the krak missiles are less effective in the hands of a scout.

Anggul
11-12-2013, 09:09 AM
I don't think any of them are worth it, BS3 just doesn't lend itself towards a single heavy weapon. Frag Missiles might be handy, but all of the other options just aren't likely to accomplish much.