PDA

View Full Version : Inquisition in Ultramar

Cryl
11-27-2009, 04:49 AM
I've got an extensive Ultramarines collection and am working on a guard army to represent one of the Ultramar PDF forces (think grey base colour with dark blue panels and the occasional U symbol in white).

I read somewhere that there's an inquisition fortress inside the Empire of Ultramar and I was intending to use this idea to put allied inquisitors with my PDF and Ultramarines. This is mostly for apocalypse but might be in smaller fluffy games. I'm thinking DH rules to represent Ordo Xenos inquisition teams.

What I'm after is some more information or people's opinions on how this would work in the current (Utopia of Ultramar) background. Is there any real stuff published that talks about how the inquisition based there would interact with the Ultras? I like the idea that they operate on very friendly (for the inquisition anyway!) terms with Lord Macragge and his chapter but would like other peoples ideas?

Melissia
11-27-2009, 08:28 AM
Hah, Ultramar as a Utopia. They're just as bad as the rest of the Imperium when it comes to oppressing the common folk.

Cryl
11-27-2009, 09:55 AM
Absolutely. They're probably worse, the fact that they can portray themselves as a Utopia is the first indication that they're most likley not

Gotthammer
11-27-2009, 11:26 AM
Given utopia is a compound word from greek meaning nowhere (and More was obviously using it in an satirical sense with his portrayal of a perfect country) Ultramar sucking is a given.

As for the Inquisition they still have to collect psykers, mutants and malcontents even if waging wars of faith and obliterating full scale daemonic incursions are not common.
I'd see that they'd have the black ships coming as normal, and they'd be a sort of secret police against anti-Imperial (anti-Ultra) sentiment.

Just_Me
11-27-2009, 11:36 AM
You are thinking of the Inquisition Fortress of Talasa Prime. Ultramar (utopia or not) is the most orderly, productive, and controlled corner of the Imperium. What's more, as befits Space Marines, they go above and beyond the call of duty to serve the Imperium, paying tithes even though as an Astartes dominion they are exempt. So the Inquisition probably gets along fairly well with the Lord Macragge, and after the Tryannic Wars the Ordos Xenos particularly so. Another factor is, as discussed in a previous thread, the Inquisition's authority over the Space Marines is predicated on the Space Marine's willingness to cooperate with them, so the Inquisition would be rather more polite than usual in its dealings with the Ultramarines. Do recall though, respectful as they might be of each other, both groups would have their own agendas, so they would not be exactly harmonious.

One final detail, in my opinion the Ordos Hereticus is a better stand in for the Ordos Xenos than the Ordos Malleus. The Malleus is very much purpose built to fight daemons and it shows in their army lists, the Hereticus is a bit more generalized. However, that is only my opinion, I used the OH to represent my OX forces, but you are free to use whatever you wish.

Cryl
11-27-2009, 11:42 AM
@ Just Me. Yes that rings a bell, thanks for that. You're probably right with the OH being better for a full on OX list but I'd probably only take an inquisitor with retinue then use a sternguard squad as a deathwatch team so it almost doesn't matter which list I used. Except that OM (in game terms) get anti deepstrike guys :p

Given utopia is a compound word from greek meaning nowhere (and More was obviously using it in an satirical sense with his portrayal of a perfect country) Ultramar sucking is a given.
Didn't know that, every day is a school day, thanks :)

Just_Me
11-27-2009, 12:07 PM
You're probably right with the OH being better for a full on OX list but I'd probably only take an inquisitor with retinue then use a sternguard squad as a deathwatch team so it almost doesn't matter which list I used.

Yeah, that's true, if all you use is the Inquisitor Lord and Retinue then it really doesn't matter which list you use. You could always use the old GW published Deathwatch rules too. You don't get Hellfire Bolts but you get their version of Inferno Bolts (which re-roll wounds) as a stand-in and get Heavy Bolters with Suspensors (can fire as 18" assault 3) and Hellfire shells (just like SM scouts get), as well as some other funky ammo types and special CC weapons. Plus you can get a Captain or a Librarian built into the squad (although their rules are a little outdated, the Librarian has "Storm of the Emperor's Wrath" for example).

Melissia
11-27-2009, 02:17 PM
Even the label of "most orderly" is questionable, because I would actually say that applies to Mechanicus domains, as their iron fist is far more literal. The Mechanicus law enforcement keeps order at the barrel of a Vanaheim, the most effective standard-issue lawbringer in the Imperium. It is stifling and oppressive, but orderly, as is the nature of the Machine God.

The Inquisition has a presence on every major planet, and many minor ones. They have strongholds on all sector capitals and many other major words in other sectors.

Calgar 2.0
12-21-2009, 02:08 PM
Well, there is a Inquisition fortress in Ultramar, the name is Talasa Prime.

(Source: Space Marine Codex 5th Edition.)

rbryce
12-21-2009, 04:40 PM
Also in nighbringer, the one from the ultrmarines omnibus, there is an inquisitor(forgot his name) who seemed to get on with ol' marnie. they have a scene early in the book as i remember, and it seemed rather friendly. Also, didnt uriel ventris join the deathwatch? and arent most deathwath members drawn from the ultramarines and their close successors?