PDA

View Full Version : Eldar 1850 for Competitive League

Aspire to Glory
11-11-2013, 12:21 AM
Hi, fellas. Going to take another crack at my Eldar to break my slump!

Sorry if the list is too similar to other stuff you see. But don't hold back. List building is my weakest skill with the hobby, at the moment, so it's what I need to work on the moment.

I'm going for viability within a casual league with a lot of competitive play.

Eldar 1850

Farseer: Jetbike, spear, runes of witnessing (135)

10 Dire Avengers (130)
10 Dire Avengers (130)
10 Guardians (90)
Wave Serpent: TL scatter laser, shuriken cannon, holo fields (145)
3 Jetbikes (51)
3 Jetbikes (51)
5 Rangers (60)

6 Fire Dragons (132)
Wave Serpent: TL scatter laser, shuriken cannon, holo fields, star engines (160)

8 Warp Spiders (152)

3 War Walkers: 3 scatter laser/bright lances (210)
Wraithknight (240)
Wraithlord: Glaive, 2 bright lances, 2 flamers (165)

teplicuss
11-11-2013, 12:35 PM
first off, thank you for not asking me to rate this…. that drives me nuts.

OK down to competitiveness!
Eldar 1850

Farseer: Jetbike, spear, runes of witnessing (135)

GOOD start, and he can go with another bike squad i see.

10 Dire Avengers (130)
10 Dire Avengers (130)
10 Guardians (90)

you need wave serpents for these guys, i recommend dropping them down to 5 man squads( for dire avengers) and sqeezing in another wave serpent if you can.

3 Jetbikes (51)
3 Jetbikes (51)

5 Rangers (60)
Im not a fan of them, however it would work in your list.

6 Fire Dragons (132)
Wave Serpent: TL scatter laser, shuriken cannon, holo fields, star engines (160)

OK, you don't need star engine for these guys, save the points. But a small unit of them would do well.

8 Warp Spiders (152)

theses guys are very good, more is better if you can

3 War Walkers: 3 scatter laser/bright lances (210),
take away bright lances and just use scatter lasers…8 shouts is awesome

Wraithknight (240)

Wraithlord: Glaive, 2 bright lances, 2 flamers (165)
i don't like these guys at all, id use more spiders or another serpent.

good luck

Aspire to Glory
11-11-2013, 01:41 PM
Thanks for the feedback! Yeah I'm getting annoyed by the rating guy too.

Deadlift
11-11-2013, 01:47 PM
Personally I like Wraithknights, I use mine with the Suncannon, shield and 1 laser. 300 pts but it's brilliant.

Aspire to Glory
11-11-2013, 01:47 PM
Yeah I love Wraithknights too. Worth every point if you're smart with them.

Garradh
11-11-2013, 02:00 PM
Good list! I agree with Teplicuss for the most part - I would drop an entire DA squad and have a stronger, 8-ish man squad for the second group of DAs. Rely on them to be problem-solvers, not game winners. Another Wave Serpent never hurt anyone.

I also think that the SL/BL combo on WWs is a bad idea. It means they are either doing anti-infantry or antitank duty, being mediocre at both instead of good at one or the other.

Aspire to Glory
11-11-2013, 02:15 PM
Yeah I'll squeeze in another serpent, which won't be too hard. Thanks for the very constructive feedback, guys!

Aspire to Glory
11-11-2013, 02:43 PM
Thanks for the great suggestions!

I revised my list to account for the new ideas.

Highlights
Dropped a squad of DAs
Dropped the Rangers
Additional Serpent
More Spiders

Concerns
Anti-armor: I'm concerned with my ability to drop serious armor if my Fire Dragons can't make it and the Wraithknight is busy.

Eldar 1850

Farseer: Jetbike, spear (120)

10 Guardians (90)
10 Guardians (90)
10 Dire Avengers (130)
3 Jetbikes (51)
3 Jetbikes (51)

6 Fire Dragons (132)
Wave Serpent: TL scatter laser, holo fields (135)

8 Warp Spiders (152)
8 Warp Spiders (152)

3 War Walkers: SL/SL (210)
Wraithknight (240)

Garradh
11-11-2013, 05:13 PM
Warp Spiders at S7, lots of S7 shields and S6 scatter lasers to deal with light and medium armor. Fire Dragons and Wraithknight to deal with the heavies like Leman Russ, Monolith, and Land Raiders. You have some good antitank, but I do see where you're concerned that it might not be enough. I liked the 2-BL Wraithlord for that, but I still think this list has a lot of balance. Then again I come from the "if you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball" antitank community of "there's no such thing as too much S8+ AP2".

Aspire to Glory
11-11-2013, 11:26 PM
Warp Spiders at S7, lots of S7 shields and S6 scatter lasers to deal with light and medium armor. Fire Dragons and Wraithknight to deal with the heavies like Leman Russ, Monolith, and Land Raiders. You have some good antitank, but I do see where you're concerned that it might not be enough. I liked the 2-BL Wraithlord for that, but I still think this list has a lot of balance. Then again I come from the "if you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball" antitank community of "there's no such thing as too much S8+ AP2".

Yeah, I'll probably be ok.

I'll just have to play with the list, trying the Wraithlord, too.

Lost Vyper
11-12-2013, 05:23 AM
You could swap another WS´s Scatter for a tlBL with no cost...there you would have another tank popper...

SON OF ROMULOUS
11-12-2013, 08:07 PM
my only worry is why leave the avengers on foot? why not give then the transport and have one of the guardian squads on foot in reserve? other wise you open the avengers up to a lot of unnecessary fire and i don't see a reason for that.

Aspire to Glory
11-13-2013, 05:30 AM
I'm probably going to drop the avengers honestly. I'll use the points for more stuff

SON OF ROMULOUS
11-13-2013, 03:33 PM
My whole thing with them is do you reserve them? if so they can only really take your home objective. if you put them out on the field then they would be very vulnerable to massed fire. t3 and a 4+ wont really keep them alive for long out in the open. if you were to drop them what would you put in their place?

40kGamer
11-13-2013, 03:56 PM
I'm probably going to drop the avengers honestly. I'll use the points for more stuff

I'm a sucker for Swooping hawks myself but they are quite delicate!

40kGamer
11-13-2013, 03:58 PM
You could swap another WS´s Scatter for a tlBL with no cost...there you would have another tank popper...

I'm more of a fan of the SL/BL War Walkers vs the TL BL Serpents. You sacrifice volume of shots for a solid tank popping unit.

Aspire to Glory
11-13-2013, 07:54 PM
My whole thing with them is do you reserve them? if so they can only really take your home objective. if you put them out on the field then they would be very vulnerable to massed fire. t3 and a 4+ wont really keep them alive for long out in the open. if you were to drop them what would you put in their place?

Extra fire dragons and warp spiders.

SON OF ROMULOUS
11-13-2013, 08:28 PM
that wouldn't be to bad i know some people worry about having fewer troops but honestly if your careful with them and you figure in i have to destroy your wave serpents first to harm them if the rest of your army is killing me from turn 1 those troops have abetter chance of survival based on all the scary units you take.

Aspire to Glory
11-13-2013, 08:53 PM
that wouldn't be to bad i know some people worry about having fewer troops but honestly if your careful with them and you figure in i have to destroy your wave serpents first to harm them if the rest of your army is killing me from turn 1 those troops have abetter chance of survival based on all the scary units you take.

That's the idea. I'll figure it'll take some determined effort to bring the serpents down, possibly to my opponents woe if they don't afford my other threats enough attention. Everything will be reasonably fast, too, so fluid reaction to the unexpected can be reasonably expected.

Lost Vyper
11-14-2013, 05:15 AM
I'm more of a fan of the SL/BL War Walkers vs the TL BL Serpents. As a War Walker fanatic i hear you LOUD AND CLEAR!...but, i was referring to the weapons i usually use IF rolling with WS...

Garradh
11-14-2013, 01:35 PM
I have a BL/SL Wraithlord just because I can't remodel him. "Seemed like a good idea at the time" really is my opinion of this combo, especially on a dedicated scoot-n-shoot unit like War Walkers. Sacrificing 3 BLs for rerolls, or sacrificing 12 shots for "just in case I need to shoot tanks". There's always infantry on the board for twin scatter lasers to shoot at, and if you take 6 Bright Lances there's always something worth shooting with those.

Don't split the tactical difference. If you want TL BLs, play a Farseer.

Lost Vyper
11-15-2013, 01:28 AM
Dual Scatterlaser workded like a charm against Orks, but as i normally face some kind of human scum, i still prefer SL/BL or BL/BL...against GK i usually take SL/Star Cannon or SC/SC for thos Termies...

Akaiyou
11-15-2013, 10:16 AM
Why not get a defense line? You could get an icarus lascannon for 85 pts, the dire avengers out in the open with no transport are a liability.

An icarus lascannon defense line can give protection and offer anti-air/tank power since you seem to be concerned about the fire dragons not making it there.

If you toss in an exarch on the rangers you could even have them be the ones operating this, for guaranteed protection for them.

Garradh
11-15-2013, 05:43 PM
Why not get a defense line?

For the reason they're going out of vogue everywhere - there are a lot more units that ignore cover now than there were when 6th started.

I will agree that the more this list morphs, the less I like the idea of DAs foot-slogging and Guardians in Wave Serpents. Considering the Guardians aren't taking heavy weapons, we have two units with the same role but seem to be focusing on using the less capable of the two in the more aggressive way.

Eldar have five troops choices - Wraiths, Dire Avengers, Rangers, Guardians, and Bikes (with some variants). Each is good at what it does, and should be used to fulfill the role it was built for. Dire Avengers aren't an open-order battle unit. Guardians can be by virtue of their cheapness. Either can get stuck in a Wave Serpent and both will perform well in a dump-n-shoot play style. DAs will survive longer afterward, so if you're trying to capture objectives with them, go DAs. If you want to camp an objective with a unit, use Rangers. If you just want an objective-grabber, take some Bikes.