PDA

View Full Version : Thor 2 - The Dark World

knas ser
11-06-2013, 01:46 AM
I saw Thor 2 last night, and just have to post at how well they portrayed the Eldar. They got the feel of the technology and how the Eldar wage war spot on, imo. Of course, being Hollywood they messed with the costumes a little, we only got one Aspect and their look was a little different, but they managed to keep the Avatar in (though their SFX budget seemed to run out as he stopped having the encased-fire look later on) and they went back to earlier editions in giving some of the Eldar vortex grenades which was cool.

So a few mistakes, but all in all, I think it was one of the best representations of Eldar I have seen on screen.

RGilbert26
11-06-2013, 01:59 AM
Those are Marvel Dark Elves and not 40k Eldar. Plus it's Marvel Universe not 40k Universe.

Other than that I thought the film was great.

knas ser
11-06-2013, 02:13 AM
Those are Marvel Dark Elves and not 40k Eldar. Plus it's Marvel Universe not 40k Universe.

Other than that I thought the film was great.

I know that. :) It was a humorous conceit - that I pretended it was an attempt to portray Eldar. :) But really for Eldar they were nearly spot-on. Watching their attack, it really felt like I imagine an Eldar attack would feel like - stealthy and rapid blitzkrieg out of nowhere, devastating and alien-feeling weapons technology, screaming fast ships and merciless foot-soldiers. And their look had the same sort of alien theatricality about them with those serene puppet-like masks. When the Kursed did his transformation thing with all the magma-heat gleaming through the cracks in his armour, I was already primed to just go "Avatar". Even the look of their ships had a strong whiff of Eldar about them - all those blade-like shapes.

I personally thought the film was all over the place - humour in the wrong places, bizarrely detached sub-plots, but the Eldar (alright - Dark Elves if you really, really want), were really well done. And very Eldar-ish.

Morgrim
11-06-2013, 02:55 AM
Oddly enough the Dökkálfar (I have no idea if the movie kept them as the right name) are supposed to be the influence for Drow and through them Druichi and then Dark Eldar; so if they're resembling Craftworlders instead (who follow the equally convoluted sort of path from Álfheimar) someone got something backwards somewhere along the line. I'm not sure why that thought amuses me.

(And yes, I know that things have been messed up all over the place and that all kinds of Eldar take more from the celtic Sidhe than the nordic but I'm still amused at the thought of how outraged certain Craftworlders would be at getting called Dark Elves.)

Wolfshade
11-06-2013, 03:20 AM
This is not 40k General, there are other options, like The Oubliette, come on down to the merky depths and you will find people discussing a lot of different things.

Where you will find people discussing it there:
http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?35679-Thor-2&highlight=thor

knas ser
11-06-2013, 03:29 AM
Oddly enough the Dökkálfar (I have no idea if the movie kept them as the right name) are supposed to be the influence for Drow and through them Druichi and then Dark Eldar; so if they're resembling Craftworlders instead (who follow the equally convoluted sort of path from Álfheimar) someone got something backwards somewhere along the line. I'm not sure why that thought amuses me.

(And yes, I know that things have been messed up all over the place and that all kinds of Eldar take more from the celtic Sidhe than the nordic but I'm still amused at the thought of how outraged certain Craftworlders would be at getting called Dark Elves.)

Hard to say whether they are more Dark Eldar or just Eldar. They are unreservedly 'bad guys' in the film so the tendency is to class them as Dark Eldar, but other than that they are orderly, aesthetically clean and slightly dispassionate so craftworld Eldar seem the closer fit.

The geneaology you post is interesting. I don't recall the name Dökkálfar being used, but most of their scenes are subtitled so might have been used and I missed it.

Mr Mystery
11-06-2013, 03:30 AM
Thanks for the spoiler warnings.....

knas ser
11-06-2013, 03:31 AM
This is not 40k General, there are other options, like The Oubliette, come on down to the merky depths and you will find people discussing a lot of different things.

Where you will find people discussing it there:
http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?35679-Thor-2&highlight=thor

I appreciate that. I wasn't trying to discuss the film generally, I was just humorously highlighting the strong parallels to Eldar. Hence put it under general 40K.

Wolfshade
11-06-2013, 03:42 AM
Yes I may have been a little hasty, but I get annoyed at 40k General being a dumping ground for all sorts of things and as the first response suggests this will probably spawn into a generic discussion of the virtues of the film.

There is of course going to be a mirroring of 40k here with the eldar as the eldar are space elves (elfs? elks? IDK). The idea of the elf is of course firmly wedged into our mythology from all over the shop including the germanic/nordic representations of them.

Psychosplodge
11-06-2013, 03:51 AM

This^
Also *spoiler*try doing this*spoiler*

knas ser
11-06-2013, 04:16 AM

I'm really sorry if anything I wrote is a spoiler for you. I'm pretty careful around that. I don't think there's anything in my post that you wouldn't get from the trailer. It shows the ships, the dark elves. I'm not sure if it actually says elves in the trailer but that was in the brief promo stuff on the cinema film information. You even see their attack in the trailer.

Again, sorry if there's anything spoilerish in my post. I purposely stayed away from any plot points or quotes. If you've seen the trailer you know about as much as I've written. I suppose I me tioned the Avatar parallel, but again, I avoided anything about who or what that is and it's shown in the first few minutes of the film anyway.

knas ser
11-06-2013, 04:18 AM
Yes I may have been a little hasty, but I get annoyed at 40k General being a dumping ground for all sorts of things and as the first response suggests this will probably spawn into a generic discussion of the virtues of the film.

There is of course going to be a mirroring of 40k here with the eldar as the eldar are space elves (elfs? elks? IDK). The idea of the elf is of course firmly wedged into our mythology from all over the shop including the germanic/nordic representations of them.

No problem. I appreciate where you're coming from. I did think about it before I chose here. If it turns into a general discussion thread maybe it can be moved later.

bfmusashi
11-06-2013, 09:29 AM
I didn't know there were spoilers in your post. It's a movie about Thor and Loki teaming up to fight Dark Elves (one of which is Dr.Destro). They're kind of required to attack earth and it's going to be neat looking. You're also required to put a big monster for fighting in the movie. You didn't talk about the mid-credit scene, which I have to say, is the only thing I've found surprising in the write-ups.

knas ser
11-06-2013, 12:11 PM
I didn't know there were spoilers in your post. It's a movie about Thor and Loki teaming up to fight Dark Elves (one of which is Dr.Destro). They're kind of required to attack earth and it's going to be neat looking. You're also required to put a big monster for fighting in the movie. You didn't talk about the mid-credit scene, which I have to say, is the only thing I've found surprising in the write-ups.

That's a relief. I really didn't want to spoil anything for anyone. And ironically enough, I forgot to stay for the after credits scene and apparently there were two!

eldargal
01-09-2014, 01:45 AM
Bah wrong topic.><

Deadlift
01-09-2014, 02:06 AM

He's not given anything of the plot away, and nothing that was not featured in any preview of the movie really.

As for the movie itself, massive disappointment and the connection with 40k is extremely weak. This belongs in the Oubliette.

Psychosplodge
01-09-2014, 02:47 AM
DL! you've returned to the good bit of the forum!
nope my bad, this is in the bad bit :D

Demonus
01-09-2014, 09:52 AM
Can you really "spoil" a movie that came out 2 months ago? =P

Psychosplodge
01-09-2014, 10:05 AM
Yes, some of us are waiting for the DVD...

Bigred
01-09-2014, 11:09 AM
Off to the Oubliette we go.

Ladies and gentlemen fasten your seatbelts.

Veteran Sergeant
01-09-2014, 05:18 PM
Yes, some of us are waiting for the DVD...
Don't, lol.

This was the image I used to accompany my review:

https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1385862_10152070040851159_1367050621_n.jpg

Wolfshade
01-09-2014, 06:21 PM
Since we are now off topic as I feared, let us just place things here: http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?35679-Thor-2