PDA

View Full Version : Vampire Counts - Battalion-Based, 800 Points

ElectricPaladin
11-05-2013, 12:05 PM
Am I doing this right?

Lords
• Necromancer (Level 3, Lore of the Vampires)

Heroes
• Vampire (Level 1, Lore of Death) w/Beguile Power, Hand Weapon, Heavy Armor, Shield

Core
• 20 Skeletons w/Spears, Full Command
• 20 Crypt Ghouls
• 10 Dire Wolves

Special
• Corpse Cart, Corpsemaster w/Spear

Exemplar Of The Host
12-17-2013, 05:14 PM
Seems a pretty solid list but I would consider looking at the ghouls and the cart. Ghouls are tough the amount of times I've played against them they are horrible to deal with. However, I would say run 15 to free up some points for the corpse cart to take balefire or loadstone. I personally would choose balefire as its gunna help you a bit and stop your opponent getting his wizards and magic users too close so you can use it to try and put people off moving into range thus they will waste more dice trying to cast big spells and then more chance to miscast for them.

As for everything else just keep your necromancer way out of trouble. I know you can now pass on the crumble test so you only go through it one round if you have someone else to take over but just think about that cause as nice as a level 3 necro is challenges can force him to the back on the unit and limit his power. Keep him near the corpse cart and try and get van Helse dance macabre off every turn so your always striking first and re-rolling failed to hits. Boom

Donga
04-01-2014, 12:56 AM
I would actually disagree with Exemplar. Sorry, nothing personal.

Vampire REALLY suffer at low points, the core is so weak and on the whole can't kill anything. If you wanted an effective force just use the minimum of core, one character (either a lvl combat vamp or a master necro). Skellies are there to tarpit, the spears aren't going to do anything. Sword/shield for the 6++ is the best option.

I've never had or seen the corpse cart be of any use, lodestone or not. Drop it, shame as it's an amazing model.

I would keep 20 ghouls, they stand a chance of killing things. Field the direwolves in 2x5, they're there as redirectors not a combat unit.

Then fill out the rest with special choices, a varghulf at 800 points is a beast! But VC special choices are on the whole very good.

But it's all your call and what works for you ;-)