PDA

View Full Version : Bomb Weapons question

Denzark
11-03-2013, 12:45 PM
When a bomb weapon is used, and it does not have the type 'barrage' in the description, do you:

a.) Treat the final position of the dropping vehicle as the direction of firer for the purposes of cover save?

b.) Treat the starting position of the dropping vehicle as the direction of firer for the purposes of cover save?

c.) There is no cover save you eejit it drops out of the sky so straight down?

d.) something clever not covered?

As always a reference is appreciated. This came up after a game in which Necron Night shroud bomber was dropping into a heavily congested Space Wolf Dropzone. I have added a little diagram so you can see the placement:

http://i797.photobucket.com/albums/yy257/denzark/bomb_zps8ab363a9.jpg (http://s797.photobucket.com/user/denzark/media/bomb_zps8ab363a9.jpg.html)

To be clear, I stated the GH should get cover for the direction of firer of the blast coming through another unit. What do you think?

Houghten
11-03-2013, 03:31 PM
Eh. Treat it as if it were Barrage, even though it's Bomb.

Denzark
11-03-2013, 03:38 PM
OK. Why?

PS Come on in Nabterayl you're good for the rules queries...

Tyrendian
11-03-2013, 04:50 PM
yeah I treat bombs like they were barrage, although I don't believe that's covered anywhere in the rule book... just seems to make the most sense, and makes my beloved Night Shroud much more deadly :D

Sly
11-03-2013, 04:58 PM
There is no rule that states whether you use the final position of the Flyer, or the bomb's drop point, HOWEVER, a Flyer can do a Bombing Run and go off the table in the same move. So you would run into a huge problem if you use the Flyer's position to determine cover from the bomb's blast. Using the Barrage rules for cover seems both reasonable and also doesn't cause issues if you do a Bombing Run and go off the table.

Denzark
11-03-2013, 05:30 PM
A very good point Sly, with regards to going off the table.

But what is reasonable changes when you are getting 1 large blast at S10 AP1 per turn which, I am told, only scatters 1d6. And is adjusted by BS so only ever misses by 2". And is on a 12 12 12 flyer with 4HP.

So rather than reasonable I am actually after pure RAW if anyone can from what is out there - I am sort of stuck on the fact that if it ain't barrage it follows the blast template rules regarding cover saves.

Nabterayl
11-03-2013, 08:21 PM
I certainly feel like it should be the center of the blast marker. But I think that the best RAW is final position of the flyer. The marker is placed "after the Flyer has finished moving," so it surely can't be the beginning position of the flyer. And we're only told to "us[e] the bomb's profile," so it seems to work just like any other blast weapon - for rules purposes, a bomb is described as an unusually accurate rearward-facing cannon.

Now, I think that's silly. I certainly wouldn't play it that way in any game where I got to decide how we were treating bombs. But that seems to be what's written.

Houghten
11-04-2013, 12:26 AM
OK. Why?

Firstly, because it's death from above.

Secondly, because of the way the rules for boom bommz are written (you stop 1" away, then resolve the attack) and when it comes to shooting, if an Ork can do it, a blind human with one hand behind his back can.

Unless "it" is "hold a really big weapon."

Tyrendian
11-04-2013, 12:50 AM
A very good point Sly, with regards to going off the table.

But what is reasonable changes when you are getting 1 large blast at S10 AP1 per turn which, I am told, only scatters 1d6. And is adjusted by BS so only ever misses by 2". And is on a 12 12 12 flyer with 4HP.

So rather than reasonable I am actually after pure RAW if anyone can from what is out there - I am sort of stuck on the fact that if it ain't barrage it follows the blast template rules regarding cover saves.

I don't think bombs are affected by BS when scattering... at least it doesn't say that anywhere, does it? I always read that as being an entirely different procedure from firing a "regular" blast, and BS isn't mentioned in the rules for bombing... also, it's good enough as it is, using BS as well would make bombs stupid good (at least where the bombs themselves are actually more than a firecracker...)