PDA

View Full Version : Can I give my Tactical Sgt two pistols?

Paulo187
10-29-2013, 05:33 PM
I was playing around yesterday magnetizing different weapon arms on my Space Marine Tactical Sergeant when (quite by accident) I slapped on one Plasma Pistol arm and one Bolt Pistol arm. I think he looks badass in this gunslinger pose (I might even model a cowboy hat for him) and would love to be able to field him this way rather than the usual Bolt Pistol and Chainsword.

The question is can this be a legal weapon configuration according to the newest Codex? And if so, can he fire both pistols in the same turn? Army Builder won't let me give him two pistols and the Codex seems a little unclear about this as well. What do you guys think?

chicop76
10-29-2013, 06:14 PM
Gunslinger is a rule which should allow him to do so. I have to re look to see if it has to be the same or not since I usually see two of the same pistol. The rule allows you to shoot with both and gives you an extra attack.

StarWarsDoug
10-29-2013, 07:08 PM
Yes. You can trade the bolt gun for a chainsword and the chainsword for a Grav or plasma pistol. Giving you a bolt pistol and one other pistol from those two.

Nabterayl
10-29-2013, 07:11 PM
I think it's perfectly clear that you can do that in the new codex. The tactical squad entry allows him to replace "his boltgun and/or bolt pistol with a chainsword," and the Ranged Weapons list (from which he is allowed to take items) allows a model to "replace his bolt pistol and/or Melee weapon" with either a grav pistol or plasma pistol (among other things, of course). So you can drop the boltgun in favor of a chainsword, which is a Melee weapon, and then replace the chainsword with a grav pistol or plasma pistol. I really don't see any ambiguity in the codex itself. If Army Builder won't allow it, I'd chalk that up to the program.

And chicop is quite right that Gunslinger will allow him to fire both pistols, at least in his own Shooting phase.

StarWarsDoug
10-29-2013, 08:05 PM
You can go full moritat an do dual plasma pistols or grav pistols or a combo of those, but only one bolt pistol.

Paulo187
10-30-2013, 09:48 AM
It's funny. After reading these responses I went to www.ab40k.org to ask them to make some changes to Army Builder so that I can do the two pistol thing. Do you know what they said? They said that they are aware of the problem but their staff just doesn't agree that you can swap the boltgun for a chainsword and then swap it again for a pistol. There are a bunch of users there arguing for two pistols but the people in charge don't believe us. Weird.

Nabterayl
10-30-2013, 10:23 AM
... do they believe you can give a sergeant a bolt pistol and power sword? That's the exact same procedure - swap boltgun for chainsword, swap chainsword for item on the Ranged Weapons or Melee Weapons list.

chicop76
10-30-2013, 10:50 AM
I am not surprised. That is why I tell people you can't always rely on army builder to be accurate.

gungagreg
11-11-2013, 08:24 PM
IT's true - the Army Builder guys (and we're probably just talking the one guy and the main mod - so two dudes) don't see that you can swap the bolter for chainsword in order to unlock the Melee/Ranged weapons. They think it's INTENDED for the Sgt who wants a combi-weapon to walk around with a Bolter and the Combi....or less sarcastically, they want GW to FAQ it first...not realizing that given how they FAQ the Bikers that they don't see the problem that these two AB guys see.

Any users of AB should go there and post a bug and write a note anyway, make them feel the weight of users...that or switch to Battle Scribe or something...which would make me sad as I like AB.

daboarder
11-11-2013, 09:34 PM
stuff AB grab battlescribe, so much better

Mr Mystery
11-12-2013, 04:30 AM
I just stick to a pen and paper meself. No programmer errors there thankyouverymuch!