PDA

View Full Version : Codex Inquisition!

Mr Mystery
10-29-2013, 12:12 PM
Just announced on the BL Facebook feed.

Promises to open up Inquisitorial goodness for all Imperial armies. Digital exclusive, ala Adepta Sororitas.

And seeing as I'm not aware of this being previously rumoured....

NO ONE EXPECTS CODEX INQUISITION!!!

http://www.blacklibrary.com/Blog/Angels-Daemons-and-Mysterious-Individuals.html

DarkLink
10-29-2013, 12:25 PM
If anyone claims they're going to roll GkS and sisters into this book...

ElectricPaladin
10-29-2013, 12:25 PM
Damnit, Mystery. I was literally just about to post about this.

Also: damnit, Black Library, I was trying to not buy another army.

Do you think I'll be able to use my Sisters of Battle models in this army?

Mr Mystery
10-29-2013, 12:28 PM
Dunno. But you can probably use an Inquisitor with your Sisters again.

Intrigued by this one, as going on the (extremely) limited info provided, it appears this may be the first 'ally only' type codex.

Which if indeed that's what it is, begs the question, what else might we expect? Codex Kroot Mercenaries would be nice....

ElectricPaladin
10-29-2013, 12:28 PM
Something I saw on the Black Library announcement page:

You’ll soon be able to field an Inquisitor and their retinue in any Imperial army in games of Warhammer 40,000.

I have a theory:

This is not going to be a full codex. It will not include its own Troops choices. It will be composed solely of HQs and Elites (maybe Fast Attack and Heavy. Ok, maybe some elite Troops, but the FOC will not require you to field them). And it will have special rules that allow it to Ally in to other Imperial armies. The goal will not to be to produce a new and independent army, but rather, to create a hybridized army list that can be used to represent an Inquisitor rolling up to any other Imperial force - some Astares, some Sororitas, some Imperial Guard regiment - and saying "my retinue and I need your support in this matter." And then boom - your army.

What do you think?

Mr Mystery
10-29-2013, 12:30 PM
I think I just Ninja'd you twice in succession, in the same thread :p

ElectricPaladin
10-29-2013, 12:31 PM
I think I just Ninja'd you twice in succession, in the same thread :p

Damnit, Mystery!

Mr Mystery
10-29-2013, 12:32 PM
AH HOOPLA!!!

So yeah, colour me intrigued by this development.

Patrick Boyle
10-29-2013, 12:34 PM
I guess that explains this cryptic response from Forge World (http://natfka.blogspot.com/2013/10/revealing-future-of-40k-inquisition.html) regarding the Red Hunters chapter tactics being 'future proof'. Maybe anyway...if it's some sort of pseudo-codex supplement book or something. Interested in what's coming next week. It sounds like it might be time to get off my *** and get my Inquisitor Adrastia(Dawn of War II) conversion off the ground...

lattd
10-29-2013, 12:38 PM
Could this be the cause of the inquisition rules?

ElectricPaladin
10-29-2013, 12:43 PM
I'm also really glad I can now use that awesome Emperor battle priest to power armored Inquisitor conversion I made.

magickbk
10-29-2013, 01:20 PM
I generally try to avoid GW bashing and stay calm and assume everything will be okay in time.

But, I hate digital exclusives and/or releases months in advance of print. I understand the complaints of people who wanted digital as an option and weren't getting anything from GW to support them. For players with iPads or tablets who preferred that, printed books are technically an alternative, they aren't excluded outright. I play as much Inquisition as the rules allow me to over time, from the Codex Army Lists pamphlet from 2nd Edition to Codex: Grey Knights. But releasing Sisters and Inquisitors as digital with no physical print timeline excludes players without those devices. It's ridiculous.

Badtucker
10-29-2013, 01:28 PM
Does explain forge worlds The Red Hunters chapter rules they put out recently.

This will not be an allies codex in the true sense, it will likely allow you to put inquisitors and such in your primary force org without using the allies chart ( but you may also use them in the alies chart too.

heres the FW quote from the The Red Hunters chapter tactics;

"By this Seal: When using the Allies Matrix, all models in the Red Hunters detachment count units from Codex: Grey Knights and Sisters of Battle as Battle Brothers so long as an Inquisitor is also present in the allied detachment"

Now sisters of battle cant get inquisitors. so this new codex and this theory makes sense. Also FW stated on their facebook last week all would make sense soon on this conundrum. and here it is in the form of Codex: inquisition.

MisterCyto
10-29-2013, 01:29 PM
How nice would it be to see some mention of or even rules for Deathwatch kill teams.

Onno
10-29-2013, 01:39 PM
I'm really happy with this, i've been waiting for ahes to field a real inquisitorial army.

Mr Mystery
10-29-2013, 01:46 PM
I'm interested to see the affect this digital venture has on GW's bottom line. It seems comparatively cheap to produce these things.

Patrick Boyle
10-29-2013, 02:01 PM
I generally try to avoid GW bashing and stay calm and assume everything will be okay in time.

But, I hate digital exclusives and/or releases months in advance of print. I understand the complaints of people who wanted digital as an option and weren't getting anything from GW to support them. For players with iPads or tablets who preferred that, printed books are technically an alternative, they aren't excluded outright. I play as much Inquisition as the rules allow me to over time, from the Codex Army Lists pamphlet from 2nd Edition to Codex: Grey Knights. But releasing Sisters and Inquisitors as digital with no physical print timeline excludes players without those devices. It's ridiculous.

There are free ebook reader programs available for computers. It's a simple matter from there to print out the rules sections(if not necessarily cheap in ink, granted). They don't have full releases ready, but want to put books out. It may not be ideal but you're hardly being excluded.

Kirsten
10-29-2013, 02:03 PM
There are free ebook reader programs available for computers. It's a simple matter from there to print out the rules sections(if not necessarily cheap in ink, granted). They don't have full releases ready, but want to put books out. It may not be ideal but you're hardly being excluded.

exactly, it is not ridiculous or restrictive, is it releasing books digitally so that people can play them before they are back from the printers. that is doing the gaming community a favour, not remotely ridiculous.

magickbk
10-29-2013, 02:17 PM

This assumes that players own a computer. I realize that it is 2013 here, but not everywhere and everyone has equal access to a computer. There are still many people, higher percentages from certain generations, who aren't computer literate, own one, or have internet access. Besides the fact that some people like the fact that their hobby is not computerized.

Dlatrex
10-29-2013, 03:36 PM
Games Workshop: Digital Editions Codex: Grey Knights isn't being replaced, but this book means you don't need to use Grey knights to add inquisitors into any Imperial army.

- Eddie

From the facebook page

Skullchewer
10-29-2013, 03:36 PM
If people are living that far in the past they won't notice the difference while Battling for the Farm.

Asymmetrical Xeno
10-29-2013, 03:51 PM
That's a fair point magickbk, one of the reasons I enjoy this hobby is because it is one of the few things that can get me away from a computer for a while :)

I am intrigued about this Inquisition codex though. I assume it will have no new models, so I guess it will (like the sisters one) use stuff already in the range. What inquisition models already exist? is there enough for all 5 force org slots? I don't really know that much about that particular range of models.

SON OF ROMULOUS
10-29-2013, 03:52 PM
Why is it your living in the stone age if you dont want to buy a crappy ipad version? me i have a laptop a nice shiny galaxy smart phone and i still wont buy the iphone version of a digital print version i want a hard back book i want a physical item for my money. I am excited by a inquisition book but annoyed that it is once again in digital before its in print. its annoying

GrauGeist
10-29-2013, 05:07 PM
I think that it will be a micro-Codex to technically fill out an Allies Chart:
HQ - Senior Inquisitor w/ flexible Retinue
Elite - Imperial Assassin / DCAs
Troops - basic Retinue
Fast - deepstriking Arco-Flagellants / Combat Servitors
Heavy - Veterans / Gun-Servitors

I'm not sure I see Jump Packs or Bikes, but a handful of Inquistors leading a half-dozen Retinues packed with dudes? Yeah, definitely.

MisterCyto
10-29-2013, 05:23 PM
Deathwatch kill teams could fill up spaces in FOC. And yeah, I wish it was book first digital later, really annoying me these new eVersions. That's being said from someone who has all the eReader and regular access to computer.Book just feels better.

GrauGeist
10-29-2013, 06:18 PM
The problem is that Deathwatch is completely covered by Codex: Space Marines via Librarian & Sternguard, so no Codex required.

Gleipnir
10-29-2013, 06:50 PM
I think its more likely you will see Inquisitors be a HQ option with a retinue similar to existing command squads with the option to select troops from Space Marines(Deathwatch), Grey Knights, or Adepta Soritas depending or the Ordos selected, possibly 1+ unit of storm troopers counts as troops as a default option as well. Then is able to ally with any other imperium army. Assassins remaining as an Elite option etc...

daboarder
10-29-2013, 06:55 PM
well, its not going to have anything in it thats not already got a model. so its going to be very limited in scope.

Fortunato
10-29-2013, 07:12 PM
Earlier this summer, I read a rumor of someone describing a plastic sprue spied at GW that contained an inquisitor and henchmen. The sprues were attributed to the Inquisitor skirmish game. Does anyone else remember reading this? With the announcement of the Inquisition codex, I was looking for this rumor again.

deinol
10-29-2013, 07:39 PM
Why is it your living in the stone age if you dont want to buy a crappy ipad version? me i have a laptop a nice shiny galaxy smart phone and i still wont buy the iphone version of a digital print version i want a hard back book i want a physical item for my money. I am excited by a inquisition book but annoyed that it is once again in digital before its in print. its annoying

There will be an ePub version that works just fine on Android. And those that really want can print it themselves from PC or a local print shop.

KINGS
10-29-2013, 07:48 PM
I find it most interesting that this will be the first supplemental codex that includes unit entries and possibly even a force org chart.

Just_Me
10-29-2013, 07:57 PM
As a self confessed Inquisition (specifically Ordos Xenos) fanboy, I have to say that, in my own personal and long considered opinion on this matter...

OMFG!!!!!!!!! ITSABOUTTIMEICANTWAITFORTHISIVEBEENWWANTINGTHISFOR EVER!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

Ahem, that is all.

Tuatara
10-29-2013, 08:02 PM
As a self confessed Inquisition (specifically Ordos Xenos) fanboy, I have to say that, in my own personal and long considered opinion on this matter...

OMFG!!!!!!!!! ITSABOUTTIMEICANTWAITFORTHISIVEBEENWWANTINGTHISFOR EVER!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

Ahem, that is all.

Your restraint is very much admired :)

I feel the same way.

Magus
10-29-2013, 08:53 PM
Your restraint is very much admired :)

I feel the same way.

Emperor's mercy, Is this real life?

Just_Me Three Times Over

Patrick Boyle
10-29-2013, 10:52 PM
Possibly, though proably not, related, it looks like a bunch of metal Grey Knights Inquisition minis, the ones I noticed being the female inquisitors, are gone from the GK HQ listing. More likely than not they were just retired or they finally ran out...

ElectricPaladin
10-29-2013, 10:56 PM
Possibly, though proably not, related, it looks like a bunch of metal Grey Knights Inquisition minis, the ones I noticed being the female inquisitors, are gone from the GK HQ listing. More likely than not they were just retired or they finally ran out...

Or maybe this eCodex is going to be accompanied by some real life model releases?

daboarder
10-29-2013, 11:14 PM
Or maybe this eCodex is going to be accompanied by some real life model releases?

huh, wouldn't that be a kick in the teeth for sisters, totally buy it

ElectricPaladin
10-29-2013, 11:19 PM
huh, wouldn't that be a kick in the teeth for sisters, totally buy it

It would be less of a kick if this really is an ally codex. Sad as it might be, I think that the Sisters will see a lot more play if their main strength (huge blocks of bolter-wielding infantry that you can selectively buff with acts of faith) were backed up with some tastier HQ and Elites choices. Imagine if your three Troops choices were ten-woman squads of Sisters tooling around in rhinos, and you had some dominions with meltas for Fast Attack, and a command squad with condemnor boltguns as your main HQ. And now imagine that they are backed up by an Ordo Malleus Inquisitor who is a psyker, who has brought with him a retinue of Grey Knights? It'll be like the old days!

daboarder
10-29-2013, 11:31 PM
honestly, i'd go sisters if I had some plastics, even just the basic box....

silashand
10-29-2013, 11:31 PM
*ninja'd :)

GrauGeist
10-29-2013, 11:34 PM
IMO, most of the wishlisting has it backwards.

C:Inq will almost certainly *NOT* have Deathwatch, Grey Knights, Guard or or Sisters, because that defeats the entire point of separating Sisters from Inquisition from Grey Knights from the rest.

C:Inq will have Inquisitors, Assassins, Retinues and Stormtroopers (forgot about those earlier) - those things not directly represented by SM, GK, IG, or Sisters. Likely, it's a very narrow Codex, like Sororitas Ecclesiarchy, but that narrowness allows for deeper character.

The blended forces are handled via Allies. This allows Retinues to stand for Arbites / Gangers / PDF, whatever.

And likely future C:GK will drop the Inq elements.

But the idea of an Imperial mishmash of Inquisitor, GK, Deathwatch, Sisters, Arbites, PDF, Hive Gangers and Guardsmen no longer holds. Those who bought piecemeal will be forced to expand to full armies with full Allies.

The only question in my mind is whether Inquistition will be allowed to Ally with itself as different Ordos.

ElectricPaladin
10-29-2013, 11:36 PM
IMO, most of the wishlisting has it backwards.

C:Inq will almost certainly *NOT* have Deathwatch, Grey Knights, Guard or or Sisters, because that defeats the entire point of separating Sisters from Inquisition from Grey Knights from the rest.

C:Inq will have Inquisitors, Assassins, Retinues and Stormtroopers (forgot about those earlier) - those things not directly represented by SM, GK, IG, or Sisters. Likely, it's a very narrow Codex, like Sororitas Ecclesiarchy, but that narrowness allows for deeper character.

Yes... that makes sense.

I still think it could be used to bring a lot of character to a Sisters of Battle army through powerful "hammer" units, which is what the Sisters seem to be missing.

White Tiger88
10-29-2013, 11:42 PM
As a daemon player all i have to say is "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

Mr Mystery
10-30-2013, 03:22 AM
I find it most interesting that this will be the first supplemental codex that includes unit entries and possibly even a force org chart.

I'm not sure this is a supplemental codex (given up referring to them as Appendex's, on account it refused to catch on. You wait, some goon on Dakka will pinch it and it'll suddenly be hip and cool...) you know.

Seems to be closer to the Adepta Sororita than say, Iyanden.

The Madman
10-30-2013, 03:57 AM
Haven't seen this posted up here yet so here it is; straight from the Games Workshop: Digital Editions Facebook page

Wildeybeast
10-30-2013, 04:35 AM
So do we think codex inquisition is where all the rumours of a mystery box inquisitor skirmish game came from?

energongoodie
10-30-2013, 04:38 AM
So do we think codex inquisition is where all the rumours of a mystery box inquisitor skirmish game came from?

I was thinking the same thing. I hope not though.

Wildeybeast
10-30-2013, 04:45 AM
Sadly I think the Mystery box is dead in the water (if it were is ever alive). Still, I'm interested to see what codex inquisition holds.

Mr Mystery
10-30-2013, 05:26 AM
Sadly I think the Mystery box is dead in the water (if it were is ever alive). Still, I'm interested to see what codex inquisition holds.

Wondered what happened to Boxy. Now I know...and the perp shall pay! But enough about my nipsy!

I suspect that this Codex, combined with the stuff John Blanche has been doing in White Dwarf may have lead to confusion, and suspicion of an Inquisitorial skirmish game on the horizon.

Or it's a massive triple bluff, and the Codex is out now to bait us for a Chrimbo super-secret-Squirrel-splash release of a ltd ed game box.

miteyheroes
10-30-2013, 06:07 AM
I'm hoping that the mystery box happens, and contains Inquisitors and retinues, and this Codex lets any Imperial force include those models. Which would be convenient, and boost mystery box sales?

But whatever, I'm dead excited. This will be my first digital codex!

The Sovereign
10-30-2013, 06:45 AM
It would be nice if the codex included an option for radical or fallen inquisitors (with liberal application of daemonhosts!) who could ally with Chaos or xenos factions, but it doesn't sound like that's the case. Either way, extremely pumped about this release. I've been collecting choice bits and OOP minis in anticipation of some sort of inquisitorial retinue option without Coteaz!

Mr Mystery
10-30-2013, 06:57 AM
Ooooh.

Here's a thought.....

We're about to see Techguard from Forgeworld for the Heresy range yes? And there's already Adept models from the same source.

Purchase suitable equipment, and boof, you've got yourself a Mechanicus cohort for your army.

ElectricPaladin
10-30-2013, 08:18 AM

Likely, but not 100%. As miteyheroes noted, they could be planning to do both, with an Inquisition skirmish game mystery box which is the primary source of the bits you'd need to field your Inquisitor and retinue alongside your regular Imperial army. That would be very clever. I'm not sure GW has it in them, but I'm willing to be surprised...

Rev. Tiberius Jackhammer
10-30-2013, 10:09 AM
Likely, but not 100%. As miteyheroes noted, they could be planning to do both, with an Inquisition skirmish game mystery box which is the primary source of the bits you'd need to field your Inquisitor and retinue alongside your regular Imperial army. That would be very clever. I'm not sure GW has it in them, but I'm willing to be surprised...Mmm, I'm hoping for that resolution. It sounds kinda plausible to me; first, they release Space Hulk, which has great models that are cross-compatible with 40k, for a relatively good deal. The stock flying off the shelves breaks the sound barrier. Dreadfleet's released afterwards; great models, but no compatibility annnd it sells alright, but not nearly as well.

If they want to replicate Space Hulk's success, putting out the option for half the playable armies in the game to use the Inquisition's minis sounds like a good plan.

Mr Mystery
10-30-2013, 10:31 AM
Mmm, I'm hoping for that resolution. It sounds kinda plausible to me; first, they release Space Hulk, which has great models that are cross-compatible with 40k, for a relatively good deal. The stock flying off the shelves breaks the sound barrier. Dreadfleet's released afterwards; great models, but no compatibility annnd it sells alright, but not nearly as well.

If they want to replicate Space Hulk's success, putting out the option for half the playable armies in the game to use the Inquisition's minis sounds like a good plan.

Just adding to the pot....if memory serves, the two Codecies out after Space Hulk were Nids (very shortly after, record breaking weekend in my store, so I remember that for sure!) and Blood Angels....

GravesDisease
10-30-2013, 11:01 AM
Just adding to the pot....if memory serves, the two Codecies out after Space Hulk were Nids (very shortly after, record breaking weekend in my store, so I remember that for sure!) and Blood Angels....

That sounds like a multi-part plastic cultists confirmation to me!

Arkhan Land
10-30-2013, 11:20 AM
an inquisitorial codex could be really cool. i actually just finished an inquisitorial army (non gk units in gk codex) and its not a totally unviable army except that it could benefit from a little more exspansion some more tougher units (power armoured acolytes are kind of exspensive) so adding some sort of normal sm ally would be great but also some strength 4 variety would be cool aside from daemonhosts already. I hope theres a little stat adjustment in store for some units but im not holding my breathe. with rumore of multipart gaurdsmen/carapaced armoured boxes in the far future it could be far cheaper for me to expand my forces!

Mr Mystery
10-30-2013, 11:20 AM
Erm whaaaaaaa??? Source! Citation!

GravesDisease
10-30-2013, 11:24 AM
Erm whaaaaaaa??? Source! Citation!

joke :(

Mr Mystery
10-30-2013, 11:26 AM
Dirty boy! In your bed, on your rug!

Wildeybeast
10-30-2013, 11:38 AM
Likely, but not 100%. As miteyheroes noted, they could be planning to do both, with an Inquisition skirmish game mystery box which is the primary source of the bits you'd need to field your Inquisitor and retinue alongside your regular Imperial army. That would be very clever. I'm not sure GW has it in them, but I'm willing to be surprised...

Well anything is possible. The question is when does it turn up. It won't be December as that is Hobbit. January looks prime for a 40k spot so it could be then, but in just don't see it myself. Especially if this is just a digital codex, it would be very odd to have physical models alongside that. I guess all will become clear in time.

Looted Emporer
10-30-2013, 11:46 AM
I'm super stoked to see what this Inquisition codex is like. I am already planning on making an Inquisition army made up of Grey Knights with some Sisters of Battle allies, and this just makes more more excited to build it. I'm hoping this codex does something similar to the forgeworld rule where if an inquisitor is your warlord than imperial allies are Battle Brothers. Would be so much fun to be running Paladins with Ecclesiarchy Priests giving them battle hymns!

ElectricPaladin
10-30-2013, 11:46 AM
Especially if this is just a digital codex, it would be very odd to have physical models alongside that. I guess all will become clear in time.

What's most exciting about this is that Games Workshop is clearly trying something new with these digital codices. I would not be surprised at all to find real models associated with a digital codex - I also wouldn't be surprised if GW leaves us in the cold, or writes the codex to rely solely on existing models. The only thing we can be sure of right now is that we don't know what we don't know.

Dietofliquor
10-30-2013, 03:20 PM
What's most exciting about this is that Games Workshop is clearly trying something new with these digital codices. I would not be surprised at all to find real models associated with a digital codex - I also wouldn't be surprised if GW leaves us in the cold, or writes the codex to rely solely on existing models. The only thing we can be sure of right now is that we don't know what we don't know.

Very true. I am excited to see it and what it brings though. Although I must say with the continuous release of models' they have had, I would like to wish for a small model release to come with this. But at this point it's just being optimistic. Hopefully we'll see soon enough.

Tuatara
10-30-2013, 03:26 PM
What's most exciting about this is that Games Workshop is clearly trying something new with these digital codices.

Totally agree. This is a very cool time to be in the hobby.

Nefarius Drapesh
10-30-2013, 05:09 PM
Okay...Inquisition supplement for all imperial armies... and when will all non-imperial armies get some kind of mercenary supplement? Guess there would definitely be some people buying that.

MajorWesJanson
10-30-2013, 07:35 PM
Okay...Inquisition supplement for all imperial armies... and when will all non-imperial armies get some kind of mercenary supplement? Guess there would definitely be some people buying that.

Do Xenos have a bunch of already existing models that they can easily produce rules for? I'd be thrilled to see Krootox, Shapers, and hounds in plastic even without a kroot merc dex.

DarkLink
10-30-2013, 08:06 PM
Not really. Only Vespids and Kroot. Talk of a mercenary codex is wishlisting.

Arkhan Land
10-31-2013, 08:02 AM
Maybe you could hold out hope for a CSM codex for Renegade chapters as supposed to Traitors. might find more pillaging and plundering for loot

bfmusashi
10-31-2013, 11:55 AM
maybe when Codex: Freebooters hits? I'm still holding out for Codex: Rogue Trader.

GravesDisease
11-01-2013, 06:22 AM
Well one thing is for sure with these digital codices - they seem to be less leaky than paper rulebooks. We have/had no idea about sororitas or inquisition rules until released.

deinol
11-01-2013, 09:57 AM
Well one thing is for sure with these digital codices - they seem to be less leaky than paper rulebooks. We have/had no idea about sororitas or inquisition rules until released.
That's because physical books are sent to the printer months in advance, exposing them to non-GW employees.

Arkhan Land
11-01-2013, 10:12 PM

but at the same time there seem to be fewer big suprises with the digital releases. Doesnt mean Im still not hoping to get some cool stuff out of this one though.

Vangrail
11-02-2013, 01:19 AM
So can i do a full army out of this? Or is it ally only?

Mr Mystery
11-02-2013, 02:50 AM
No one knows 100% yet.

From what Black Library have said, it appears to be a series of bolt-on units for Imperial Forces rather than a primary detachment in itself.

To what extent remains unknown. Could be that it actually works as the parent Codex, with it's troops selections being selected from another Imperial Codex. We just don't know!

eldargal
11-02-2013, 07:30 AM
Has this been posted yet:
http://www.warseer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=180920&d=1383398677

Blackcloud6
11-02-2013, 07:47 AM
Any release date yet?

Patrick Boyle
11-02-2013, 07:32 PM
Any release date yet?

November 9th, so next Saturday.

The Sovereign
11-02-2013, 08:13 PM
November 9th, so next Saturday.

I believe that's the preorder date, and the 16th is the release date, right?

davel
11-03-2013, 01:30 AM
Hang on it says ordo xenon traits at the top

Does this mean that the other ordos will get their own trait tables

Dave l

eldargal
11-03-2013, 03:23 AM
That is the implication yes.

Cap'nSmurfs
11-03-2013, 06:12 AM
It's been confirmed that each Ordo has their own Warlord Traits. The reveal was a reward for Facebook Likes; they asked which one of the three people wanted to see.

eldargal
11-03-2013, 06:25 AM
Yay, explicated implication ftw.

Lord-Boofhead
11-03-2013, 10:08 AM
Which if indeed that's what it is, begs the question, what else might we expect? Codex Kroot Mercenaries would be nice....

That would Rock.

Genestealer Cult
Arbites
Ad Mech?
Eldar Exodites?

Lord-Boofhead
11-03-2013, 10:12 AM
So can i do a full army out of this? Or is it ally only?

My bet is that it will be like the old Arbites list in the Journal or the Kislev list in WFB the did in 7th ed. Sure you can use it as your main army BUT it works much better as an Ally as it won't have anywhere near the amount of options as a normal codex...

That's just my guess...

Mr Mystery
11-03-2013, 10:20 AM
That would Rock.

Genestealer Cult
Arbites
Ad Mech?
Eldar Exodites?

Reckon we can mostly expect ones for existing models, which is currently fairly limited.

But, moving forwards, seems most armies would only need a couple of sets of models each. Genestealer Cult for instance would need Hybrids, and perhaps a Black Templar like expansion kit to knock up Brood Brothers out of Cadian Shock Troops.

As for what we might get from Codex Inquisition? Warlord Traits would seem to confirm it can form your Primary Detachment, barring unique rules beyond introduced to allow Warlord Traits for specific allied detachments, to perhaps better represent their role in the galaxy.

Dlatrex
11-05-2013, 12:19 PM
Forgive me if this has been covered elsewhere:

The rules in this book allow you to add the agents of the Inquisition into any Imperial force (as well as fielding them, begrudgingly, alongside the armies some of the less belligerent alien races), or field them as an army in their own right.

The main focus is very definitely on the individual Inquisitors themselves, with every Inquisitor now having access to a bewildering array of options, wargear and armour, making them one of the most customisable characters in the galaxy (as it should be).

There are also plenty of ways to represent your Inquisitor’s alignment to a particular Ordo, from weapons, unique Inquisitorial relics and three Warlord Traits tables for Xenos, Hereticus and Malleus Inquisitors.

Speaking of Warlords, this codex allows you to have an Inquisitor leading your Imperial forces, even when he isn’t part of your Primary Detachment (would you argue with an Inquisitor about who’s in charge?).

Of course, Inquisitors rarely travel alone. Instead they bring with them experienced warriors and specialists, not to mention their pick of the best transports from across the Imperium.

There is also some cool pieces of art, including a character shot of a Priest which I have not seen before!

From http://www.blacklibrary.com/Blog/Nobody-expected-Codex-Inquisition.html

! : ?
11-06-2013, 04:25 PM
the priest is a drill-abbot from the blood of martyrs supplement for dark heresy.. alot of the specific character templates from the FFG line of products could make very interesting henchmen.. a badass mortiurge miniature would be very much appreciated :)

Mr Mystery
11-09-2013, 05:54 PM
Hmm.

From the GW Website, it's not just Imperial armies that will be able to field Inquisitors. There's mention of Xenos as well.

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/wnt/blog.jsp?pid=11700068

daboarder
11-09-2013, 06:30 PM
Really looking forward to having a radical inquisitor in ny chaos army

Arkhan Land
11-09-2013, 06:37 PM
oh good i can add my zoanthropes to my arbite squads

daboarder
11-10-2013, 02:11 AM
Well guess radicals were too cool an idea for GW to do.... because **** chaos.

Myu
11-10-2013, 02:13 AM
They should have radicals. I mean so many of the stories had rads and/or inquisitors that become rads that it's makes no sense not to have them

Mr Mystery
11-10-2013, 03:20 AM
Well guess radicals were too cool an idea for GW to do.... because **** chaos.

Settle down Beavis. The website hasn't said they can't be taken by Chaos. That is not the same as saying Chaos can't take them.

daboarder
11-10-2013, 04:25 AM
Settle down Beavis. The website hasn't said they can't be taken by Chaos. That is not the same as saying Chaos can't take them.

eh if I'm wrong then I'll apologise but the wording is basically saying no.

Rev. Tiberius Jackhammer
11-10-2013, 04:53 AM
Well guess radicals were too cool an idea for GW to do.... because **** chaos.How often (if ever) do we see Radicals actually bro-ing it up with Chaos Marines or a Daemonic Incursion? They seem to mostly be about daemonic artifacts and bound daemons, which they already have (and likely will continue to have). I don't think we've ever seen a radical Inquisitor ride a Heldrake while fistbumping Fateweaver.

Mr Mystery
11-10-2013, 05:00 AM
It does happen. Radical turns to Rogue.

daboarder
11-10-2013, 05:02 AM
hell even eisenhorn is chillin with a legionaire these days.

Rev. Tiberius Jackhammer
11-10-2013, 05:10 AM
But are any of these cases appropriate for allying with Chaos Space Marines or a Chaos Daemons? Eisenhorn's contact is a single Alpha Legion dude, and was it ever established if Eisenhorn even knows the significance of the name "Alpharius"? Even Quixos, who went full-chaos, simply had lots of psyker covens, daemonhosts and daemon weapons.

daboarder
11-10-2013, 05:43 AM
high I'm inquisitor death, and in order to try an prevent the a chaos army I have decided to encourage the commander of another chaos warband that he would be more appropriate to lead instead, as such I must now work with this fool too achieve my goals.

Which brings to mind the time I had to act as a servant of the dark gods in order to obtain information on how to bind daemons to my will in order to destroy my rivals.

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Radical#.Un9yWvmmhnA

Mr Mystery
11-10-2013, 06:15 AM
It's also a cunning, if risky way to infiltrate and destabilise cult activity. Perhaps trigger their insurrection before they're a credible threat.

All that involves siding with them to gain control.

Arkhan Land
11-10-2013, 08:57 AM
I think an Inquisitor could most certainly pay off "Renegades" as mercenaries but would never think of trying to hire "Traitors"
how that would work out would possibly be the ability to ally with Chaos Detachments that bear no marks of any chaos gods. Basically just your average group of evil marines whos stasis tanks were spilled one too many times

daboarder
11-10-2013, 09:05 AM
I think an Inquisitor could most certainly pay off "Renegades" as mercenaries but would never think of trying to hire "Traitors"
how that would work out would possibly be the ability to ally with Chaos Detachments that bear no marks of any chaos gods. Basically just your average group of evil marines whos stasis tanks were spilled one too many times

Then you need to read more background because traitorous and chaos fallen inquisitors are one of the most used serbianjewdoublebluffs written in the fiction.

as I said, Even Eisenhorn has him chilling with an alpha legionaire.

Rev. Tiberius Jackhammer
11-10-2013, 11:44 AM
Then you need to read more background because traitorous and chaos fallen inquisitors are one of the most used serbianjewdoublebluffs written in the fiction.

as I said, Even Eisenhorn has him chilling with an alpha legionaire.But can you name any incidents of renegade Inquisitors working with Daemonic or Chaos Marine armies besides Eisenhorn's single Legionnaire (who he might or might not know the allegiance of)?

Mr Mystery
11-10-2013, 11:46 AM
But can you name any incidents of renegade Inquisitors working with Daemonic or Chaos Marine armies besides Eisenhorn's single Legionnaire (who he might or might not know the allegiance of)?

Big Galaxy is big.....

Rev. Tiberius Jackhammer
11-10-2013, 12:04 PM
Big Galaxy is big.....Same reasoning can be used to argue that Sisters of Battle should be able to ally with Chaos Daemons (then again, there's fluff where that actually happens, unlike these hypothetical Heldrake-riding, Fateweaver-brofisting Inquisitors).

That said, I think the game would be better off if anyone could Desperate Ally with anyone. But in a ruleset which forbids certain allegiances as unfluffy, the Inquisition should probably be forbidden from forming allegiances with Chaos Daemons/Marines.

dirkspair
11-10-2013, 01:48 PM
that angel encarmine story was all about a radical inquisitor working with chaos to kick the blood angels in the nuts.

daboarder
11-10-2013, 03:22 PM
But can you name any incidents of renegade Inquisitors working with Daemonic or Chaos Marine armies besides Eisenhorn's single Legionnaire (who he might or might not know the allegiance of)?

Did anyone even bother LOOKING at the last page I linked to lex, the one where it breaks down radical denominations into something like 15 factions and lists the 12 cannon radicals. which is way more fictional support than many of the "concepts" of 40k.

Rev. Tiberius Jackhammer
11-10-2013, 04:07 PM
Did anyone even bother LOOKING at the last page I linked to lex, the one where it breaks down radical denominations into something like 15 factions and lists the 12 cannon radicals. which is way more fictional support than many of the "concepts" of 40k.I already did. The closest one to actually working with chaos was Querrian, who instigated a daemonic incursion to play off against another, but he never fought alongside the Daemons, he always acted alongside the Space Wolves. Xanthism, while it "uses" Chaos, restricts itself to Daemonhosts/weapons. Soooo, naught to support Daemonic/Chaos Marine allies.

ElectricPaladin
11-10-2013, 04:13 PM
For whatever it's worth, I agree that allowing radical Inquisitors to ally with Chaos would go against the spirit of the codex. Yes, these things happen. If you really want it to happen in the context of some weird narrative event you're participating in at your FLGS, talk to the organizers and I'm sure they'll make it happen. However, the army book they are publishing is for general play. For the usual circumstances of battle in the 41st Millenia. And while you can theorize all you want about how this could happen and that could happen, radical Inquisitors don't buddy up with Chaos. They fight Chaos. They just do it in radical ways.

Space Marines are more likely to ally with Tau and with Eldar than radical Inquisitors are to hang out with Chaos.

daboarder
11-10-2013, 04:26 PM
There are more instances in the background of inquisitors working with traitor marines than there are of blood anhels allying with necrons.

As mentioned previously another is stele.

And quite frankly given chaos gets guard allies to do chaos guard its ridiculous to say that a similar alliance to do radicals wou like d be against the spirit of the codex.

But of course I fully dont expect the book to be that awesome and people will find whatever justification for **** chaos that they want too

DWest
11-10-2013, 05:40 PM
I think this needs to be broken into two separate thoughts:
1) What does Codex: Inquisition have to offer CSM, and do they actually need that?
2) What would be a satisfying way to portray a Radical Inquisitor who is working with a Chaos Warband?

For 1) I honestly don't think there's going to be much there, assuming that it's basically the Inquisitors and Henchmen from C: Grey Knights. CSM doesn't really need any more T3 bullet-sponges or overpriced, situational wargear. Grenade shenanigans might be nice, assuming you can get your grenade-caddy into assault.

For 2) I could see using the new C: Space Marines to stand in for the CSM, representing a warband who are relatively cohesive and playing nice for the moment, in order to sucker the fool Inquisitor into furthering their goals for the Long War (even as the Inquisitor is likewise trying to sucker the heretics into doing his dirty work for him). You wouldn't, for example, ally with full-on barking Khorne Berzerkers, because nobody allies with Berzerkers when they're like that; you simply point them in the right direction, and hope.

Rev. Tiberius Jackhammer
11-10-2013, 06:17 PM
Well, seeing as Inquisitors can supposedly be included in Imperial Armies w/out using allies, you could always just ally Inquisitor/Imperial Guard to a Chaos army.

bfmusashi
11-11-2013, 08:57 AM
There are more instances in the background of inquisitors working with traitor marines than there are of blood anhels allying with necrons.

As mentioned previously another is stele.

And quite frankly given chaos gets guard allies to do chaos guard its ridiculous to say that a similar alliance to do radicals wou like d be against the spirit of the codex.

But of course I fully dont expect the book to be that awesome and people will find whatever justification for **** chaos that they want too

I think the Blood Angels allying with the Necrons was mentioned twice, referring to the same event. If you can find Inquisitors who are still loyal to the Emperor working with known traitors I'd love to hear it since this is new to me. The only ones I can think of are members of excommunicated groups (like phaenonites) which means you are more than Radical, you are rogue. Hanging with Eldar and Orks or binding daemons into little flesh cages isn't working for guys that gave the IGEoM the finger.

Mr Mystery
11-11-2013, 09:15 AM
I think the Blood Angels allying with the Necrons was mentioned twice, referring to the same event. If you can find Inquisitors who are still loyal to the Emperor working with known traitors I'd love to hear it since this is new to me. The only ones I can think of are members of excommunicated groups (like phaenonites) which means you are more than Radical, you are rogue. Hanging with Eldar and Orks or binding daemons into little flesh cages isn't working for guys that gave the IGEoM the finger.

Okay. Seriously.

Try to follow this simple mantra....

Big.

Galaxy.

Is.

Big.

That's it. End of. My Necron dynasty is from the galactic centre, where no Nids have reached (yet). Does that mean I should decline any and all games against them? And Tau for that matter? No. That would be ridiculous, on account....you guessed it!!!...

Big.

Galaxy.

Is.

Big.

mearn4d10
11-11-2013, 11:08 AM
as I said, Even Eisenhorn has him chilling with an alpha legionaire.

Whoah, WOAAAAAAAHHHHH... what WHEN? I remeber the association with A Space Marine... but there was no mention of WHICH chapter much less that Astartes being from a LEGION. Can I get some substantiation here?

Blackvigil
11-11-2013, 01:34 PM
I am stoked for this. Lots of models will see the light of day that have been shelved too long.

bfmusashi
11-11-2013, 01:49 PM
Okay. Seriously.

Try to follow this simple mantra....

Big.

Galaxy.

Is.

Big.

That's it. End of. My Necron dynasty is from the galactic centre, where no Nids have reached (yet). Does that mean I should decline any and all games against them? And Tau for that matter? No. That would be ridiculous, on account....you guessed it!!!...

Big.

Galaxy.

Is.

Big.

Are you trying to chide me for pointing out a simple distinction from the source material? For pointing out the comment by another poster could not be supported by running off on a tangent? How you run your army's narrative is your business, but when you say your Necron dynasty worked with the IGEoM to make the primarchs (which is like saying a Radical Inquisitor is actively working with a Chaos Marine invasion or Daemon incursion) you're ignoring the source material. You are no longer playing with the group, you're in your own sandbox.
The Deathwatch RPG (and since most of those Radical groups from earlier only exist in RPGs I assume they're fair game) makes it clear the Tau have found at least one warp gate. Any army can do that and still be in the narrative framework.

Bolter Buddie
11-11-2013, 02:34 PM
So if Eddy over at GW Digital won't comment on the new model I'd say its a good bet we're at least getting a "New" Finecast model.

daboarder
11-11-2013, 03:37 PM
Whoah, WOAAAAAAAHHHHH... what WHEN? I remeber the association with A Space Marine... but there was no mention of WHICH chapter much less that Astartes being from a LEGION. Can I get some substantiation here?

well when he looses half his costume when fighting an emperors child he goes a little berserk and yells "I AM ALPHARIUS"

Again its just ridiculous that people are fine witht he concept of radicals working with daemons but CSM are where you draw the line?

Oh and Quixos, Querrian, Hell earnst stavros chained up a lictor to manipulate a Tyranid invasion fleet but nah man despite it already happening chaos marines are just NO!!!

Hell the whole point of the radicals is that they ARE loyal, they just see chaos as a means to an end, if that means involves using chaos marines then they dont care...

Mr Mystery
11-11-2013, 03:49 PM
Are you trying to chide me for pointing out a simple distinction from the source material? For pointing out the comment by another poster could not be supported by running off on a tangent? How you run your army's narrative is your business, but when you say your Necron dynasty worked with the IGEoM to make the primarchs (which is like saying a Radical Inquisitor is actively working with a Chaos Marine invasion or Daemon incursion) you're ignoring the source material. You are no longer playing with the group, you're in your own sandbox.
The Deathwatch RPG (and since most of those Radical groups from earlier only exist in RPGs I assume they're fair game) makes it clear the Tau have found at least one warp gate. Any army can do that and still be in the narrative framework.

It's a loose setting with very few 'facts'. Ones that spring to mind? No Grey Knight has ever fallen to Chaos.

Yet even that can be simple apocrypha. I

Given what they dabble in, and the general level of ignorance in the galaxy.... You can't say that just because GW haven't written it it cannot happen. This isn't an entirely pedestrian linear story we're partaking in.

If someone wants to do Chaos worshipping Tau? Why not? You don't have to be noticed by the gods to offer them praise, just as they don't need rewards to continue worshipping.

Likewise, Chaos Cults aren't necessarily destructive in their subversion.

Literally anything is possible in 40k. Anything. A more mudane example? I could run a pre-Heresy ally army for my Necrons, comprised of mind shackled Legionnaires kept 'on ice' for the past 10,000 or so years.

I could likewise run a Thunder Warriors army, with them having been spat out of the warp in recent years.

So to say 'well it's not in this book' is a pointless exercise in misplaced pedantry.

bfmusashi
11-11-2013, 06:49 PM
Just to be clear, because I think you're arguing with someone who isn't me, I asked someone else for two or more sources where Inquisitors worked with chaos space marines to prove his statement and this was quoted and answered with 'the universe is a big place.' I point out that this is not only a non sequitur but the universe works on rules established with all the authority fiction allows. One of those rules is the difference between radical and rogue (it's procedural and not set in stone), you're damn right it's pedantic. Pedantry is what fictitious universes are for, it's how they support themselves. I never said an Inquisitor couldn't take the field with daemons or chaos space marines, only he isn't a radical, he's a rogue. The moment he's fighting against loyal Imperial forces he's gone rogue and will be excommunicated.

daboarder
11-11-2013, 07:55 PM
except the lines not that clear, very few of the radical and traitorous inquisitors believe they are being used by chaos, thats the whole point.

Every single one of those radical inquisitors have killed servants of the emperor, by your definition they were all traitors, but then that would make them rogue inquistitors, but they're not "rogue" they are radical.....which is what the definition of a radical inquisitor is, one to whom the ends justify the means (yes even working with traitor legionaries)

Radicals are a political and philosophical faction of the Inquisition. Setting themselves apart from the more conservative Puritans, the pragmatic Radical Inquisitors follow the Imperial doctrines in spirit, believing that the ends justify the means, and find little value in adhering to convention too closely. They often try to fight fire with fire, using Chaos or xenos weaponry, employing Daemonhosts, or committing other acts that would be deemed heretical by their more conservative brethren. Their experimentation with these forces often leads to them being branded heretics, or succumbing to the very power they sought to control

radical and rogue are synonymous, the terminology depends on who is using the term and their own thoughts on the matter, you'll also not that the list of defenition of radicalism is not an exhaustive list. Working with traitors would likely be deemed heretical activity wouldn't you say?

DavidDraper
11-11-2013, 08:46 PM
I really want to see how well the Inquisition works with the Sisters and the IG. And with all the info we have heard about them, I have yet to see anything about game mechanics besides their ability to HQ any imperial army. Boost leadership of all Imperial allies? Grant additional USRs to everyone? That is what I'm really interested in learning.

D

bfmusashi
11-11-2013, 09:57 PM
except the lines not that clear, very few of the radical and traitorous inquisitors believe they are being used by chaos, thats the whole point.

Every single one of those radical inquisitors have killed servants of the emperor, by your definition they were all traitors, but then that would make them rogue inquistitors, but they're not "rogue" they are radical.....which is what the definition of a radical inquisitor is, one to whom the ends justify the means (yes even working with traitor legionaries)

radical and rogue are synonymous, the terminology depends on who is using the term and their own thoughts on the matter, you'll also not that the list of defenition of radicalism is not an exhaustive list. Working with traitors would likely be deemed heretical activity wouldn't you say?

To be rogue and excommunicated you have to be found guilty. To be found guilty there is a conclave the subject may or may not be present for. Until you are found guilty you are not rogue. The distinction is that simple there. In another sense rogue is analogous to fallen. You are no longer doing your job, you're taping spikes or wraithbone or psyker brains on your armor.
What definition did I give where an Inquisitor who killed an Imperial servant was a traitor? I don't recall making that the rule. I did say taking the field against the Imperium, especially with the enemies of all mankind, is over the line even for a peer of the Imperium. And it is, for rogue traders, space marine chapter masters, inquisitors and the like.
You also claimed there are more instances of Inquisitors working with chaos space marines and daemonic incursions than there were times Necrons and Blood Angels teamed up. You haven't backed that up yet.
To get the Inquisitor on the table with the chaos space marines he has to:
A: not know they're chaos space marines, in which case he deserves everything he gets.
B: is knowingly consorting with one of the nine most treacherous groups of traitors in known history
C: deployed poorly and is just going with it
D: is a pet
E. is coerced
F. It's the day before the Inquisitor calls the Grey Knights in, but they've got too much killing to do right now.

D and E you have to answer why he isn't eating his gun. Maybe he's Oblationist, maybe it's all part of an overly complicated plan that requires he be captured to execute (I understand these are popular right now). He's totally getting killed when he comes home.
C. Well, there's lots of ways for Tzeentch to prove he's lord high lord of the jackanapes. Welcome to chaos.
B. assuming there's a sufficiently long and convoluted way this contact is achieved and both sides become not only aware of each other's identities but also their resources and still decide this relationship isn't riskier than it's worth then this could happen. It's super villain team up time, only one's got hubris and the other one is a superhuman killing machine with a superior intellect. Things kind of turn into D.
F. happened at least once.

daboarder
11-11-2013, 10:13 PM
To be rogue and excommunicated you have to be found guilty. To be found guilty there is a conclave the subject may or may not be present for. Until you are found guilty you are not rogue. The distinction is that simple there. In another sense rogue is analogous to fallen. You are no longer doing your job, you're taping spikes or wraithbone or psyker brains on your armor.
What definition did I give where an Inquisitor who killed an Imperial servant was a traitor? I don't recall making that the rule. I did say taking the field against the Imperium, especially with the enemies of all mankind, is over the line even for a peer of the Imperium. And it is, for rogue traders, space marine chapter masters, inquisitors and the like.
You also claimed there are more instances of Inquisitors working with chaos space marines and daemonic incursions than there were times Necrons and Blood Angels teamed up. You haven't backed that up yet.
To get the Inquisitor on the table with the chaos space marines he has to:
A: not know they're chaos space marines, in which case he deserves everything he gets.
B: is knowingly consorting with one of the nine most treacherous groups of traitors in known history
C: deployed poorly and is just going with it
D: is a pet
E. is coerced
F. It's the day before the Inquisitor calls the Grey Knights in, but they've got too much killing to do right now.

D and E you have to answer why he isn't eating his gun. Maybe he's Oblationist, maybe it's all part of an overly complicated plan that requires he be captured to execute (I understand these are popular right now). He's totally getting killed when he comes home.
C. Well, there's lots of ways for Tzeentch to prove he's lord high lord of the jackanapes. Welcome to chaos.
B. assuming there's a sufficiently long and convoluted way this contact is achieved and both sides become not only aware of each other's identities but also their resources and still decide this relationship isn't riskier than it's worth then this could happen. It's super villain team up time, only one's got hubris and the other one is a superhuman killing machine with a superior intellect. Things kind of turn into D.
F. happened at least once.

Alright mate I'm done here, you've clearly demonstrated ignorance of what is actually in the background, and unwillingness to read and a desire to ignore any information that doesn't support your own view.

edit: for the rest of you there are at least 6 major cannon inquisitors that either used chaos forces or even been entirely corrupted (without even being branded a traitor yet in the case of stele) given that there is a single instance of the necrons and blood angels ever working together (Gehenna) I'd say that more than justifies the point.

edit2: hell even the space marine game deals with a possesed inquisitor (hey look NOT branded a heretic yet either) working with CSM......

DarkLink
11-11-2013, 11:00 PM
The Daemonhunter's codex literally explicitly states that there are radical Inquisitors who have effectively fallen to Chaos and fight alongside Daemons and the like, and even kill other Inquisitors and loyalists who get in their way, and that a small minority of the Ordos Malleus actually agrees that this is acceptable in the defense of the Imperium. I'm literally reading this right now. I don't see where the confusion is.

daboarder
11-11-2013, 11:20 PM
darklink have I ever told you how much I like having you around :D

crazedcatatonic5
11-11-2013, 11:38 PM
This is such a silly argument. I am so excited for this codex! I hope it lives up to it's potential. I also hope it's not too OP that every imperial faction now takes an inquisitor for HQ.

Tuatara
11-12-2013, 12:12 AM
This is such a silly argument. I am so excited for this codex! I hope it lives up to it's potential. I also hope it's not too OP that every imperial faction now takes an inquisitor for HQ.

I agree. It's going to be a blast.

Demic
11-12-2013, 02:02 AM
I'm worried that GW are reading our minds. Me and my friend were just talking about Inquisitors the other week....

Cap'nSmurfs
11-12-2013, 05:06 AM
I always wanted to convert an Inquisitorial warband to use in occasional games with my Space Marines. I didn't feel like I should have to take a Grey Knights squad to do so, however. This is basically a godsend in that regard. Very much looking forward to it. :)

Arkhan Land
11-12-2013, 02:05 PM
I'm worried that GW are reading our minds. Me and my friend were just talking about Inquisitors the other week....

feelings same here, i had just finished working on a inquisitorial army then days later saw the announcement for the release posted up. just when i thought i was done buying minis i have to buy more books that arent really books...

DarkLink
11-12-2013, 02:53 PM
darklink have I ever told you how much I like having you around :D

I'm there for you, buddy;).

SON OF ROMULOUS
11-12-2013, 08:40 PM
perfect timing for me actually just finished painting up an inquisitor and 30+ imperial storm troopers and yes the old metal ones not the crappy cadian ones :)

Bigred
11-14-2013, 11:34 AM
Some wargear unveiled:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-P_jCd_94CKc/UoS7mgmjFQI/AAAAAAAABYM/-CjukvLmYQE/s1600/004.png

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
11-14-2013, 11:40 AM
(Isn't that all already known wargear?)

Blond Daemon
11-14-2013, 12:13 PM
The venom talons are new to me. Will have to double check GK though

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
11-14-2013, 12:20 PM
Ordo Xenos Inquisitor

Blond Daemon
11-14-2013, 12:29 PM
Aah, fair enough. Still, shows the probably won't lose anything they already have :)

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
11-14-2013, 12:41 PM
Yeyyyyyy!

To be fair, Daemonblades make me laugh whenever I use them.

Lord-Boofhead
11-15-2013, 10:55 AM
I keep refreshing the Black Library Page, why is it not today in the UK yet?

Ursa
11-15-2013, 05:33 PM
Plz post previews. I'm very skittish about buying the codex because I am a bit of a ludulite so very cautious about digital copies.

RGilbert26
11-15-2013, 05:43 PM
I keep refreshing the Black Library Page, why is it not today in the UK yet?

Erm it isn't available till tomorrow (12:01am ish).

Arkhan Land
11-15-2013, 06:22 PM
so excited. getting ready to toss my GK codex in the lowest sub-basement of my administratum archives!

ElectricPaladin
11-15-2013, 07:41 PM
so excited. getting ready to toss my GK codex in the lowest sub-basement of my administratum archives!

I am similarly excited!

Melon-neko
11-15-2013, 08:54 PM
Does anyone know if it will be possible to print these after buying? I know I can't print the Ipad one, but I was wondering about the other version.

Lord Fancy Pants
11-15-2013, 11:02 PM
I just finished downloading my copy. Pretty cool.

Basically, the Codex has HQ choices (Inquisitors), Elite choices (Henchmen), and Transport choices. You are provided with a new Force Org chart to make this a stand alone army. If the Inquisitorial Detachment is the primary, your Elite (Henchmen) squads count as scoring.

The Inquisitorial Detachment can be used in addition to another detachment, so you could have a guard army with space marine allies and an Inquisitor Detachment as well.

ElectricPaladin
11-15-2013, 11:28 PM
I just finished downloading my copy. Pretty cool.

Basically, the Codex has HQ choices (Inquisitors), Elite choices (Henchmen), and Transport choices. You are provided with a new Force Org chart to make this a stand alone army. If the Inquisitorial Detachment is the primary, your Elite (Henchmen) squads count as scoring.

The Inquisitorial Detachment can be used in addition to another detachment, so you could have a guard army with space marine allies and an Inquisitor Detachment as well.

Wow... I was basically just... right. Neat!

The Sovereign
11-15-2013, 11:28 PM
Just skimmed through. My knee jerk recommendation is don't buy. Additional ally slot is cool and novel, but unit options are extremely limited; no assassins, etc. Surprisingly a lot of transport options though.

Just my fire from the hip opinion on first quick read through.

FTGT
11-16-2013, 12:05 AM
Just skimmed through. My knee jerk recommendation is don't buy. Additional ally slot is cool and novel, but unit options are extremely limited; no assassins, etc. Surprisingly a lot of transport options though.

Just my fire from the hip opinion on first quick read through.

I would generally agree from a rules only standpoint. Kinda cool, but not game changing I think. The price point isn't terrible. And the fluff seems pretty expansive. I'm looking forward to really digging into it. My first impressions are in my blog (link in sig), but as expected it's a "standalone" army, if barely.

The Sovereign
11-16-2013, 12:18 AM
My main gripe I guess is that assassins weren't included. That was a huge no brainer that GW missed (as they have a tendency to do). Also would've liked a renegade inquisitor option to ally with Chaos, but that's a minor miss in comparison.

Something positive to say is that I'm glad Karamazov was included.

Bigred
11-16-2013, 12:19 AM
I would like to request we get a good rundown of the codex in 40K rules section please if someone has one.

The basics - warlord traits, units, stats, special rules, artifacts, anything cool.

Thanks a lot.

Deadlift
11-16-2013, 01:45 AM
Natfka (http://natfka.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/codex-inquisition-what-is-it.html#more) is on the button as usual. Copy and pasted from his brilliant blog, link above.

This article is actually originally from here, http://www.talkwargaming.com/2013/11/review-codex-inquisition.html
A chap called Zion wrote this indepth review.

Allies

One of the big questions was how the allies rules where going to work. Well...they're different. Rather than try to explain let me quote the codex here:
INCLUDING INQUISITORS IN YOUR ARMY
When you choose an army, Inquisitors may be taken as a primary detachment or as a special form of allied detachment known as an Inquisitorial detachment.

If you take Inquisitors as a primary detachment, use the Inquisitorial detachment Force Organisation chart instead of the primary detachment Force Organisation chart. Alternatively, an army may include an Inquisitorial detachment in addition to any other detachments. Other detachments, such as allied detachments, additional primary detachments and fortifications can be taken normally. So, for example, you could field an army with an Imperial Guard primary detachment, an allied detachment of Space Marines, and an Inquisitorial detachment.

The Inquisitorial detachment Force Organisation chart has boxes corresponding to different battlefield roles. Each black box is a choice you must take in order to include this detachment as part of your army, whilst each grey box is a unit you can include as part of this detachment.

If you take the Inquisitorial detachment as your primary detachment, then Inquisitorial Henchmen Warbands are scoring units.

The Inquisitorial detachment works as follows: you are required to take 1 HQ and then you have the option of taking a 2nd HQ and up to 3 Elites choices. Yes, you can have an army of a lone Inquisitor if you so wish.

Anyone else getting a feeling of déjà vu regarding some rumors last year that we'd be getting books like this?

Of course the book has its own allies chart.
Battle Brothers: Blood Angels, Dark Angels, Grey Knights, Imperial Guard, Inquisition, Adepta Sororitas, Space Marines and Space Wolves
Allies of Convience: Eldar, and Tau.
Desperate Allies: Dark Eldar
Come the Apocalypse: Ork (sorry Orks, no Inquisitorial led Freebootaz), Tyranids, Necrons, Chaos Marines, and Chaos Daemons .

One noteworthy thing to mention if you didn't notice it: the book lets you ally Inquisition to Inquisition. Guess it's so you can show two Inquisitional forces working together. Though because of their rules only the Warbands of your primary detachment count as scoring.

Warlord Charts

This has a neat trick actually:

If your army includes an Inquisitorial detachment, you can nominate one Inquisitor (including Inquisitor Coteaz or Inquisitor Karamazov) to be your army’s Warlord, instead of a character from your primary detachment. When generating Warlord Traits, an Inquisitor Warlord can roll on the appropriate table below instead of on one of the Warlord Traits tables in the Warhammer 40,000 rulebook.

To add to that, there are Warlord traits tables for Ordos Hereticus, Xenos and Malleus. I'm not going to give them all up, but I do think there is some pretty nifty stuff in here. As far as Warlord Traits tables I rather dig these.

Oh, and I don't think I saw a single one of them that causes Fear.

Wargear

So many toys. I think someone had fun writing this section and seeing what they could cram in. I will admit that I got excited seeing all these toys. It was wonderful seeing all the options in the book (both on regular models and on their vehicles). I'm not going into every profile here, but I am going to list all the stuff that's in each section because it has to be seen to be believed.

Ranged Weapons:

Assault Cannon, Autogun, Bolt pistol, Boltgun, Combi-weapons, Condemnor Boltgun, Conversion Beamer, Flamer, Flamestorm Cannon, Heavy Bolter, Heavy Flamer, Hellfire, Hellstrike Missiles, Hot-shot Lasgun, Hurricane Bolter, Inferno Pistol, Incinerator, Lascannon, Laspistol, Meltagun, Multi-laser, Multi-melta, Multiple Rocket Pod, Needle Pistol, Orbital Strike Relay (with three firing profiles), Plasma Cannon, Plasmagun, Plasma Pistol, Psycannon, Shotgun, Storm Bolter.

Melee Weapons:

Arco-Flails, Chainsword, Close Combat Weapons, Daemon Blade, Eviscerator, Force Weapons, Nemesis Daemon Hammer, Null Rod, Power Fist, Power Weapons, Scythian Venom Talon, Thunder Hammer, Servo-Arm.

Special Issue Wargear:

Defense Orbs, Digital Weapons, Empyrean Brain Mines, Frag grenades, Krak grenades, Melta bombs, Psybolt Ammunition, Psychotroke Grenades, Psyk-Out Grenades, Psyocculum, Rad Grenades, Rosarius, Servo-Skulls, Storm Shield, Ulumeathi Plasma Syphon.

Armour:

Artificer Armour, Terminator Armour, Power Armour, Carapace Armour, Flak Armour.

Vehicle Equipment:

Frag Assault Launchers, Dozer blade, extra armour, hunter-killer missile, searchlight, smoke launchers, Psyflame Ammunition, Truesilver Armour

Psychic Powers (yes they have a codex specific list):

Hammerhand, Sanctuary, Dark Excommunication, Psychic Communion, Psychic Barrage.

Relics

There are only 3 Relics here, and each is a book. Apparently the Inquisition likes to do some reading.

Liber Heresius: A book that lets you take a leadership test at the start of any turn to give the Inquisitor and his unit one of the following special rules: Scouts (you roll the test after deployment but before the first turn), Split-Fire, Counter-attack, Fear, Hatred. Each rule may only be used once, but you can use each rule assuming you pass enough Leadership tests to do so.

Grimoire of True Names: If the bearer of this relic is fighting a Daemon in a challenge the Daemon suffers a -5 penalty to WS/I/and Ld (to a minimum of 1).

Tome of Vethric: Depending on which Xenos army your opponent is fielding (this includes allies) the bearer of this relic gains certain special rules (so if they have more than one Xeno army, like Tau/Eldar you gain two rules): Dark Eldar (Night Vision), Eldar (Split Fire), Orks (Counter-Attack), Necrons (Tank Hunter), Tau (Furious Charge), Tyranids (Monster Hunter).

HQ

Real quick I'm going to rundown who you actually to choose from and then give my thoughts on them:

Inquisitor Corteaz
Inquisitor Karamazov
Ordo Malleus Inquisitor
Ordo Hereticus Inquisitor
Ordo Xenos Inquisitor

For those wondering, no, the named characters haven't changed. They're identical to the Grey Knights codex options except for the Warlord traits that have been pre-assigned to them.

So the good news: The generic Inquisitors start at the low, low, LOW price of 25 points. Each. Which is good because here's the bad news: the only one who can purchase an Invulnerable sae is the Ordo Malleus Inquisitor who can take Terminator armour.

Not quite what I was hoping to see either. I think GW missed the boat just a little here. Well good thing they're cheap because those upgrades will add up and frankly I don't think I would want to spend a lot on an Inquisitor who has no Invul save. Stay away from anything that can hit you with S6 if you can help it too or POP goes the Inquisitor (well save for Karamazov, because he's kind of awesome like that).

Elite

Have you seen the Inquisitorial Warband from the Grey Knights codex? No? Alright, let me give you a run-down of what you can put in one: Acolyte, Arco-flaggellant, Crusader, Daemonhost, Death Cult Assassin, Jokaero Weaponsmith, Ministorum Priest (yes, he's just as awesome as he is in the Adepta Sororitas book), Mystic, Psyker, and Servitors (who have to test for Mind-lock if there isn't an Inquisitor in the unit).

Just like the Grey Knights codex you can have anywhere from 3 to 12 models in the squad of any combination you wish. And no, the Priest in this book is not an Independent Character, but he is a regular one.

Honestly the Warband isn't a bad option and can add a number of different things to a codex depending on what you field.

Dedicated Transports

Rhinos, Razorbacks, Chimeras, Valkyrie, Land Raider, Land Raider Crusader, Land Raider Redeemer.

So that's the good news, now for the bad. Because the book allies to other books there isn't any sharing of these options with books like the Adepta Sororitas or Guard (so no filling your Land Raider full of Ogryns Guard players, sorry!).

On the flip side, because this book has it's own Death Cult Assasins, Priests and Crusaders (though Arco-flagellants can be an option if you're trying to go cheap) you can fill a Land Raider full of them, and ram it into your enemy's lines with some rather manic glee now. So there are options there if you so desire.

davel
11-16-2013, 03:31 AM
The priest has had a bit of a boost characters an invun,lost his mess with daemon saves ability, however now solves war band (with out) inquisitor problem. Plus the hymns in combat look interesting.

No other difference to warband

This probably means they will be a shiny new feature of the guard dex
Valeria is missing from the book which means they rant looking to make a model any Time soon ( chapter house no rules, if no model syndrome)
Disappointed no shot gun option for acolytes ( no satisfactory arbiter option) tech priests also don't feature
Also storm turkey not a feature but valkary is
Coteaz seems to still be the dude for inquisitor full armies ( you can do one with out but that leaves only 3 troops)with ally grey knights.

Changes seem mostly minor and using per existing models or ones that need no/minor conversions (thank you chapter house)eg traits and tombs

Mostly the rules have been tweaked to fit with 6th but end up doing what they did in 5th

davel
11-16-2013, 03:32 AM
I meant to say leadership problem for warband

davel
11-16-2013, 03:41 AM
Have just spotted psyker warband are no longer auto (as near as) wiped by a perils

davel
11-16-2013, 03:44 AM
Or may be not brother hood rules says just 1, but power rules says they all. GW which is it?

Blond Daemon
11-16-2013, 03:54 AM
Very disappointed by lack of stormies. Still probably get in anyway for fluff purposes. Inquisitor Grendels private veteran army of Xenos hunters has waited long enough for their boss to join them on the field dammit. With out grey knights tagging along.

eldargal
11-16-2013, 04:48 AM
Valeria is missing from the book which means they rant looking to make a model any Time soon ( chapter house no rules, if no model syndrome)

Or they are keeping her for the next GK book and accompanying model release. #livesinhope

Katharon
11-16-2013, 07:35 AM
All they did was rip the Inquisition characters, Henchman, and a few edits here and there from the Grey Knights codex and made it an eBook. I'm so disappointed that GW would make such an obvious money grab. It's frakking pitiful.

gwensdad
11-16-2013, 08:56 AM
Kind of split. This seems like they didn't do much but at the same time it seems like the perfect thing to use with my Deathwatch army I was making. I was hoping for some troop selections but I guess I'll keep with "stormtroopers counting as scouts" as my troops and be able to load up on scoring elites. (basically Kantor, stern/vanguard, scouts, Inquisitor, warbands)

Mr Mystery
11-16-2013, 09:09 AM
All they did was rip the Inquisition characters, Henchman, and a few edits here and there from the Grey Knights codex and made it an eBook. I'm so disappointed that GW would make such an obvious money grab. It's frakking pitiful.

Luckily it's not a compulsory purchase. Unlike everything else GW force us to buy.

Arkhan Land
11-16-2013, 09:48 AM
My main gripe I guess is that assassins weren't included. That was a huge no brainer that GW missed (as they have a tendency to do). Also would've liked a renegade inquisitor option to ally with Chaos, but that's a minor miss in comparison.

Something positive to say is that I'm glad Karamazov was included.

no assasins!? The temples call out for vengeance!

yeah spent the 25 bucks, its just OKAY still stoked be able to field most of my inquisitorial army as is, cool that raiders are transports now as that gives me the ability to do a massive troops push. Also cool to have valkyrie available, storm ravens are cool but exspensive, have been trying to figure out which "Big Bird" I was gonna buy next.

The allies/detatchment concept is a little confusing but sort of cool to be able to field Inq/IG/SM which has always been my dream anyways

Melon-neko
11-16-2013, 10:43 AM
I'm assuming there will be a similar assassins codex with assassin detachments that can go along other detachments

Lord-Boofhead
11-16-2013, 10:51 AM
Or they are keeping her for the next GK book and accompanying model release. #livesinhope

I doubt as I suspect this is the first step towards removing the non GK stuff from the Next GK Codex.

lets hope that Valera, INq Storm Troopers and a few more Spec Char Inquisitors make an appearance in the eventual re-release with hardcover in a year or so....

Lord-Boofhead
11-16-2013, 10:52 AM
I'm assuming there will be a similar assassins codex with assassin detachments that can go along other detachments

That was my guess to, let hope they work out the Venum and Vanus eventually too...

Lord-Boofhead
11-16-2013, 11:00 AM
Erm it isn't available till tomorrow (12:01am ish).

It was 'tommorrow' where I was when I posted that being an Aussie and all...

Lord-Boofhead
11-16-2013, 11:02 AM
Does anyone know if it will be possible to print these after buying? I know I can't print the Ipad one, but I was wondering about the other version.

Can't workout howto pring the eBook reader one I'll play around with mobi later...

gwensdad
11-16-2013, 11:31 AM
Can't workout howto pring the eBook reader one I'll play around with mobi later...

could you load the epub or mobi versions onto one of those sites that converts files, convert to pdf, then print the pdf? (or is that a no no to mention since technically that could be a copyright violation)

davel
11-16-2013, 11:52 AM
Might of spotted a nerf on the daemon hosts. They don't have the daemon rule. Meaning if you put one in a squad it can't cause fear. They weren't that useful before as some random powers just don't synergies (warp speed looking at you)with other hench men. But I was tempted in placing just one in a squad for that effect. They are now probably a little more annoying to grey knights but some how I can't see them being overly concerned.

Dave l

davel
11-16-2013, 12:10 PM
I think the priest is going to be identical to the new guard dex. Some of the option costing he has are odd. He is as good a shot as an acolyte but storm his storm bolsters more costly. The plasma gun enter yips only worth considering if you have already maxed the number acolyte can take

Dalleron
11-16-2013, 12:19 PM
so the Inquisition is battle bro's with the Dark Angels and SW now? Seems contradictory to their own fluff.

Lord-Boofhead
11-16-2013, 12:44 PM
could you load the epub or mobi versions onto one of those sites that converts files, convert to pdf, then print the pdf? (or is that a no no to mention since technically that could be a copyright violation)

I can not confirm or deny that I am or am not looking into that.... ;)

Lord-Boofhead
11-16-2013, 12:46 PM
so the Inquisition is battle bro's with the Dark Angels and SW now? Seems contradictory to their own fluff.

Ok the Dark AngelsI see the issue but at the same time how better to keep the Inquisitors from the truth but to babysit them

As for the Wolfs its just the Grey Knights And that **** Darkhammer they have issues with...

Dalleron
11-16-2013, 01:36 PM
I seem to remember a story where an Inquisitor arrives at Fenris with a fleet and threatens action against the wolves. Stuff may or may not have gone down, but ultimately the Inq went away.

I guess that point about DA makes sense.

Ursa
11-16-2013, 11:41 PM
Actually SW are rather friendly with some Inquisitors. Grimnar's life was saved by one, in the SW books staring Ragnar.

Have to say I'm glad ya'lls reviews. Now I just have to figure out which one do I get for my Kindle Fire and Aneroid phone.

daboarder
11-17-2013, 01:31 AM
Ok the Dark AngelsI see the issue but at the same time how better to keep the Inquisitors from the truth but to babysit them

As for the Wolfs its just the Grey Knights And that **** Darkhammer they have issues with...

The same way the blood angels prevent them from learning of the flaw, kill em all and let the emperor sort them out.

seriously the flesh tearers have straight up murdered two inquisitors just for getting info about the flaw in "blood in the machine"

davel
11-17-2013, 02:43 AM
Trying to work out what is the maximum number of warband scoring units you can take the options are interesting. The problems come from grey knights using old warband rules (admitedly almost identical) and the clear as mud force org ( a few more examples of what they could do would of helped) how coteaz works with those rules. Finally the unclear rules as t banisters in one dex and priest in the other.

Option one grey knights coteaz allied with inquis

9 war bands 6 scoring, pro access to other grey knight units so things like tech marine = tech priest dread knight= penitent engine can be represented! con 6 scoring units can't benefit from priest led as they are stuck with banished rules.though you can lead 4 of them with inquisitors

Option 2
Primary inquiz secondary grey knight coteaz

I have to assume here that the very slim down chart that is used for inquiz as it is the only one in the book is used. The way the book is written sort of sounds like there should be 2

5 war bands all scoring, limited access to other grey knight goodies, only 3 scoring can take priests but access to 3 inquiz

Option 3

Primary attachment inquiz allied to a coteaz inquiz attachment.

6 war bands all scoring plus access to priests 4 inquisitors , con no access to grey knights

Option 4 the ordo chromosome screw up (I don't see any one allowing this , but then I can't see a rule that says you can't. Also if it allows GW to sell more coteaz then it is unlikely they will disallow.

Primary grey knight coteaz, secondary inquiz coteaz ( time twin)

9 war bands all scoring 3 access to priests, 4 inquiz, access to grey knights stuff cons 6 units have no priests access. Also no one will allow you to do this

Where 2 armies have the same special character the convention around my area is to play on. Though there is one tournie I know of where this happens neither are allowed to use them. Now with codex supplements this may occur more.

the other thing is coteaz was already considered one of the best value Hq's. Due to warband scoring access to divination decent stat line for the points. Expect to see more of his time twins appearing every where soon.

Dave l

miteyheroes
11-17-2013, 08:11 AM
I seem to remember a story where an Inquisitor arrives at Fenris with a fleet and threatens action against the wolves. Stuff may or may not have gone down, but ultimately the Inq went away.

ADB's "The Emperor's Gift" details the Grey Knights & Inquisition vs the Space Wolves after the 1st Battle for Armageddon. Grimnar isn't too happy with them. They almost besiege Fenris, except someone really cool turns up and says no. It's a good read.

Melon-neko
11-19-2013, 10:01 AM

the ebook is not DRM protected so printing it was fairly easy. I downloaded Calibre (http://calibre-ebook.com/) and used that to print to PDF. I already had adobe acrobat installed though, so if you don't have a PDF program you might need that as well. Also, there is no copyright issue. The usage rights of the ebook allow for 1 hardcopy to be printed.

chicop76
11-19-2013, 10:53 AM
What I am hearing so far is all I have to do is pick up my grey knight book and be aware of the new gear and rules and I can run inquisition.

Lord-Boofhead
11-21-2013, 06:05 AM
the ebook is not DRM protected so printing it was fairly easy. I downloaded Calibre (http://calibre-ebook.com/) and used that to print to PDF. I already had adobe acrobat installed though, so if you don't have a PDF program you might need that as well. Also, there is no copyright issue. The usage rights of the ebook allow for 1 hardcopy to be printed.

Why if the eBooks aren't DRM protected haven't they brought out a PDF version?

Lord-Boofhead
11-21-2013, 06:05 AM
What I am hearing so far is all I have to do is pick up my grey knight book and be aware of the new gear and rules and I can run inquisition.

Nope there are enough changes...

Lord-Boofhead
11-21-2013, 06:09 AM

That was Darkhammer backed up by the GKs.

Are you inferring that Grimmer is too stupid to tell the difference between different Inquisitors?

Lord-Boofhead
11-21-2013, 06:10 AM
Actually SW are rather friendly with some Inquisitors. Grimnar's life was saved by one, in the SW books staring Ragnar.

Have to say I'm glad ya'lls reviews. Now I just have to figure out which one do I get for my Kindle Fire and Aneroid phone.

If you buy through Digital Editions you get both eBook AND Mobi...