PDA

View Full Version : Using Ultramarines in Salamander army as "

James Flanagan
10-28-2013, 01:46 PM
40k fluff/rules opinions needed: I run Salamander space marines. I want to use Ultramarine characters in my army. Per the new edition I have to take them as Ultramarines (1 HQ, 1 Troop minimum). Later in that section is says that sub-chapters use the same rules as their parents.

Say I want to take Chronos (tank commander), should I paint him UM Blue, or can I go Aurora Chapter colors since they're a sub-chapter of Ultramarines?

Just not sure how strict the rule is officially..

James / Nezeray

Houghten
10-29-2013, 12:42 AM
Yeah, you can.

Wolfshade
10-29-2013, 02:27 AM
It is your hobby don't let people tell you what you can't do :)

As long as you are consistent throughout then I wouldn't have an issue, try and mix and match from within 1 detachment then I might get upset. Don't forget at larger games you could take your green "ultramarine" detachment with an allied salamander detachment. :)

Patrick Boyle
10-29-2013, 08:38 AM
As others have said you could paint your 'Ultramarines' as Salamanders if you wanted, as long as you have some way to easily differentiate which marines are part of which detachment if you're doing the allies thing. Or just run your whole primary detachment using Ultramarines tactics painted as Salamanders. Rules wise the only real restriction is if you're using particular tactics, you can only take characters with matching tactics. Only total fluff ****s will get on your case for using tactics that don't match your color scheme.

Houghten
10-29-2013, 12:01 PM
as long as you have some way to easily differentiate which marines are part of which detachment if you're doing the allies thing.

Well, painting them as Aurora Chapter as the OP mused would do the trick there, but if they were painted as Salamanders like the rest, base rims would be an excellent place to identify what's part of what detachment; this model's base has a blue rim, so it uses Ultramarine tactics; this model's base has a green rim, so it uses Salamanders tactics.

Not sure how to apply that to tanks though.

James Flanagan
10-30-2013, 11:06 AM
Well, painting them as Aurora Chapter as the OP mused would do the trick there, but if they were painted as Salamanders like the rest, base rims would be an excellent place to identify what's part of what detachment; this model's base has a blue rim, so it uses Ultramarine tactics; this model's base has a green rim, so it uses Salamanders tactics.

Not sure how to apply that to tanks though.

The Aurora will be noticably different from the Salamanders. I will use the Chapter tactics for Ultramarines ONLY with the Auroras. Salamander tactics with Salamanders. Was more worried about "Chronos would never wear anything but the Blue armor!" fluff crap coming up in a tournament. Friendly games, most of my friends won't care. :)

James / Nezeray