PDA

View Full Version : Strategic Assets: Just how many can one get and are copies ok? Details inside.

Occam
10-28-2013, 11:56 AM
I've read the new apocalypse rulebook, and it says that strategic assets are given as: The team with the most players defines how many strategic assets each side gets--so if 3 vs. 4, both sides get four.

So here is where things get interesting. I'm a Necrons player, so I have 3 supereme HQ units. And the Royal Warcouncil of Mandragora, which gives me extra Necron racial strategic assets only [when I complete certain goals].

Now here is where it gets tricky: While the main rules in apocalypse say that my side can't have copies of the same strategic asset more than once, but it makes an exception for strategic formations.

So my question is: Based on this inference, that I can use multiple bonus strategic assets from my supreme HQ formations to gain multiples of the same asset? Like, let's say I ran all 3 Supreme HQ units [keeping in mind nothing explicitly says I can't], could I, in theory, grab 3 Trophy Kill strategic assets?

And with the Royal War Council of Mandragora, could I get three of the same bonus Necron Strategic assets?

isotope99
10-28-2013, 01:39 PM
I don't see anything saying that the high command can exempt you from the no-copies general rule (I also only see one Necron high command formation) but it's arguable. Either way, the bonus assets only comes in the breaks so trophy kill wouldn't work as it needs to be played after deployment.

The necron bonus assets are separate rules so duplicates could apply as they are not chosen according to the usual rules.

My personal view is that if the effect is gone and used up (e.g. orbital strike or star pulse) then its OK to use it again but holding multiple copies of the same card is a no-no, but that's just me.

Ultimately apocalypse relies on the goodwill of players to make it fun so discuss with your opponent(s) .

Occam
10-29-2013, 01:42 AM
You're right. Apoc. relies on good will. It's just that, if I know I can do this, the others can too. And it does help to udnerstand the rules as I tend to play with younger folk than me. Anyway, the extra high hq formations are from the warzone: damnos book. seriously worth the $30, in my opinion.