PDA

View Full Version : Farsight Enclaves - Echoes of War Missions

DraconicPhantom
10-27-2013, 10:03 PM
Okay, so now that Farsight Enclaves is out in hardcover and everyone has had a chance to see it, what are the opinions on the Echoes of War missions? Has anyone tried them yet? What were the results?

For me personally, I really want to try Arthas Moloch, and I'm looking forward to seeing how that turns out. The deployment is strange, but I think it will create a truly intense game with the Daemons boiling out of the center and the Tau attempting to hold both lines.

I'm also excited to try The Shield of Eight, but I do have one gripe about it. Although it is nice that GW gives all of the Tau models Feel No Pain and It Will Not Die in that scenario, I feel like they should have given them Eternal Warrior as well. I feel that leaving out Eternal Warrior just invites the Tyranid player to field as many bone swords as they can muster and to try to instant-kill all of the Battlesuits. Let's face it, that scenario is going to end up having close combat encounters, and if each Battlesuit is beset by multiple Warriors or other models with bone swords, then the Tau player is just screwed. I'll admit that I don't know what other weapons in the Tyranid codex can cause instant death, but if there are shooting weapons that can do that, then the Tau player could be easily defeated from that as well. Can anyone shed some light on this or offer an opinion of their own? I'd love to hear it!

FTGT
10-28-2013, 08:25 AM
I'm excited about trying those two missions out as well. I think the Echoes of War missions are intended to be for fun primarily, with things being a little lopsided one way or another. That said, with the intention of it being fun, if one variation of a list makes the mission broken, I would avoid using that list again. These are very much fluff based games and lists should be built with that in mind. That said, if you'd prefer to add EW than change up the Tyranid list, that's between you and your friend you're playing the mission with.

DraconicPhantom
10-28-2013, 10:01 PM
I'm excited about trying those two missions out as well. I think the Echoes of War missions are intended to be for fun primarily, with things being a little lopsided one way or another. That said, with the intention of it being fun, if one variation of a list makes the mission broken, I would avoid using that list again. These are very much fluff based games and lists should be built with that in mind. That said, if you'd prefer to add EW than change up the Tyranid list, that's between you and your friend you're playing the mission with.

Hopefully the player that I'm doing that mission with will be okay with me adding EW to the list of skills. Either that, or else I can hopefully convince him not to run too many instant death weapons.