PDA

View Full Version : Grav Guns and Mixed Units Question

Bigred
10-26-2013, 11:50 AM
This showed up in the BoLS mailbox so I'm throwing it over to you folks to chew on... Enjoy!

I have a new conundrum for you regarding GRAV WEAPONS...

The set up is this : I have a Riptide (2+ sv), a shielded missile drone(4+sv) and an Ethereal( -sv) all in a unit together.
This unit is then fired upon by a grav gun.
What roll is needed to inflict wounds on the unit?
2+,4+ or 6+ ...

Is the multiple toughness rule from the brb used, replacing all instances of the word toughness with armour save?
Also, (as per the multi toughness rule) which save constitutes the highest save, the 2+ (the better armour save) or the 4+ (numerically higher) from the drone or even -sv which is no armour (needing a 6+ to wound as per the grav weapon rules)?

-Mr. Steel

Houghten
10-26-2013, 12:04 PM
It's not like this hasn't come up before, with weapons like neural shredders and obsidian orbs that wound against Leadership instead of Toughness... and in those cases, you use the majority Leadership, not the sergeant's (unless it's down to him and one other, anyway). Same applies with grav-guns: use the majority armour save.

As far as which is the highest, a little basic logic may be helpful here. When you're using the higher of two Toughness values, your roll to wound is also higher. Some beardy git with an all-grav army may try to argue the toss here based on gravy-fluff but I can't see why it wouldn't work the same way (so, in the example, you'd use the 6+).

I'll grant you this makes zero sense from a "what is happening" perspective, especially for Precision Shots, but it's consistent with the rules as they stand.

DarkLink
10-26-2013, 12:12 PM
It's literally always majority, with ties in favor of the defender, in every single similar case in the entire game.

Katharon
10-26-2013, 07:24 PM
I would feel kind of cheated by having to take 4+ armor save with a Riptide...it might take a while, but maybe roll the appropriate armor save with the model that is closest to the shooter and then continue moving on after that model has failed (or roll again, if it passes one)? That might be the "fair" way of doing it, though it might not be economical for time.

Asuryan
10-26-2013, 08:35 PM
it might take a while, but maybe roll the appropriate armor save with the model that is closest to the shooter and then continue moving on after that model has failed (or roll again, if it passes one)? That might be the "fair" way of doing it, though it might not be economical for time.

The only problem is with IC's, put a farseer in front of a squad, then you roll to wound needing 6's then I loS on a 2+ to another model such as a Dire avenger in a squad with the shimmershield (5++) or a scorpion with a stealth save. It is a rare option but putting the lower save guys out front is something that I would do, also just tanking the shots on the farseer if fortune is on would be ridiculous.