PDA

View Full Version : The painting of Sanguinius

Dave Fothergill
10-25-2013, 11:49 AM
I d recently managed to get a new and unpainted model of sanguinius see below the pic is of the model I've got but mine comes unassembled and unpainted

Now introducing my test dummies for the gold painting ideas I have meet brother marines jay and bob

The painting of the gold armour I have is idea one 3-1 ratio of gold and blood red for a reddish hue to his armour

Or idea two 3-1 ratio of gold and bolt gun metal to give the armour a more silvery hue.

Any ideas comments welcome.

skilgannan
10-25-2013, 12:21 PM
Hiya,

I like idea number one personally.

Tim

Morgrim
10-25-2013, 06:04 PM
I've found mixing non-metallic and metallic paints to get different hues tends to dull them down really fast. Instead of mixing Blood Red into the gold to get that reddish hue you'd be better off carefully mixing in some red ink or wash. Metallic paint is basically flecks of coloured metal suspended in a stain and the stain is the bit you want to tint if you don't want to make the paint dull, so you need a translucent colour. A little does go a long way with some inks so be careful and try a few different mixes on your test models. If you mix a little of the same red ink into whatever shade colour you use and then keep purer gold on the highlights that will help too.

(Admittedly I've never tried gold done this way but I've successfully stained silver with green and blue hues using this method.)

Dave Fothergill
10-26-2013, 01:01 AM
Thanks for the tip I've got some red ink ill mix that instead of paint and see how it comes out.

Dave Fothergill
10-27-2013, 10:41 AM
Gold base coats now applied to brothers jay and bob

Which do you prefer ?

When they are dry both will have a wash of reikland flesh shade followed by a mithril silver highlight.

Dave Fothergill
10-28-2013, 07:24 AM
Ok ink wash and mithril highlight completed what do you think personally I'm thinking of using the red gold armour

Psychosplodge
10-28-2013, 07:49 AM
Is Jay mouthy and profane? And Bob silent yet profound?

I prefer the look of the more silvery gold as opposed to the red bronze colour :D

Dave Fothergill
10-28-2013, 09:42 AM
Is Jay mouthy and profane? And Bob silent yet profound? you've got them exactly right !!

With their paint jobs I think I'm leaning towards the red gold but tone down the red slightly so it's gold with an undertone of red in it.

Psychosplodge
10-28-2013, 09:46 AM
Thought I might

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4k9ap5Sao1rpc8yw.gif

yeah definitely tone down the red!

Dave Fothergill
11-21-2013, 10:45 AM
Unfortunately my sanguinius model was defective and had to be returned

Still I've had another model on the go and now finished

I'm not totally convinced by how the cloak but I'm happy with the rest

Comments or advice welcome