PDA

View Full Version : Mad Mek's Workshop

Lord Tothe
10-23-2013, 10:25 PM
Starting on some conversions and scratch-builds for my Ork army. I'm still petty new to this, and all pics are WIP.

The large tan tire is a Beywheels toy that I bought to find out whether it could be used to make an absurdly oversized monocycle (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monocycle) for an Ork Nob Biker. If anyone else thinks about doing such a conversion, note that the wheel is made of a fairly soft rubber compound, and cutting out the hub means cutting through a more rigid plastic skeleton hidden inside. A dremel-type tool with a sanding wheel is most useful for carefully smoothing out the rough chop job necessary to get it all cleared out.

Also note that the deffcopta has had the blade removed. Earlier pictures shown below have my earlier attachment system. I'm not sure how I want it to look, but that wasn't right yet?

Two of the zzap guns are made from cannibalized Bionicle tie-in Happy meal toys. Wheels are from broken cars and toy motorcycles, along with some insulin vial caps I got from a diabetic family member. The drop tank racer will eventually get a gun platform behind the engine. I think I'll just glue in a regular ork torso for the driver instead of trying to find a surplus gunner grot from someone's fighta-bomma kit.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh141/lordtothe/Picture025_zps9e2becd7.jpg

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh141/lordtothe/Picture022_zps0e3a84ad.jpg

Here is the older deffcopta pic, along with a cybork Nob. You can see more clearly here how the kopta is made from a 1:72 F-15 (green), a 1:48 F16 (light gray) and sprue segments along with some Ork bitz. The Nob's arm is made with gears from broken Happy Meal wind-up toys, Ork bitz, and a rod from the F-16 kit

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh141/lordtothe/Picture008_zps6360b0bf.jpg

And here's a close-up of the cybork arm

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh141/lordtothe/Picture007_zpsf51fdb72.jpg

Ideas for things I may want to build later on: a deffkopta resembling a Borderlands 2 Buzzard, a Nob Biker on something like a Brute Chopper from Halo, and a scratch-built trukk

Skullchewer
10-24-2013, 03:38 AM
Ideas for things I may want to build later on: a deffkopta resembling a Borderlands 2 Buzzard, a Nob Biker on something like a Brute Chopper from Halo

These are both brilliant ideas.

Lord Tothe
10-24-2013, 12:00 PM
These are both brilliant ideas.

Why thank you! Those ideas are of course copyrighted by me and can't possibly be built by anyone else unless they pay me vast sums of money first. But of course I owe nothing to Gearbox or Bungie :P

Seriously though, I'd like to see if other people with more experience want to try any of my ideas and do a better job. If an Ork dex is around the corner in 2014, maybe new units will be available for even more Mad Mek builds

jonas the jedi
10-25-2013, 04:13 AM
Go forth and ork on, copyright me... oh and post picture strictly so I don't copy.... or infringe on I mean. Oh and the cybork arm looks gimpy. But who cares.

Lord Tothe
10-28-2013, 10:05 PM

Have another pic of the nob. This one has a blurry muzzle on the gun due to me not having the camera focus quite right. It shows what I did for a kombi-rokkit shoota better though. That's a bit of sprue for a rail holding a much-trimmed bomb from the F-15 kit I cannibalized.

Skullchewer
10-29-2013, 08:57 AM

Have another pic of the nob. This one has a blurry muzzle on the gun due to me not having the camera focus quite right. It shows what I did for a kombi-rokkit shoota better though. That's a bit of sprue for a rail holding a much-trimmed bomb from the F-15 kit I cannibalized.

Ha, he looks great! Have you tried any of the Spellcrow or Kromlech stuff? Been messing about with some Cyborks using their stuff.5463
Not the best paint job ever, but you get the idea. Really fun ork bits.

Lord Tothe
10-29-2013, 10:30 PM
Ha, he looks great! Have you tried any of the Spellcrow or Kromlech stuff? Been messing about with some Cyborks using their stuff.5463
Not the best paint job ever, but you get the idea. Really fun ork bits.

Yeah, I made a couple Rambork variants with Big Shootas and the Kromlech naked orc torsos, and I have the mechanical torsos set. Waiting for my FLGS to get in the other Kromlech stuff I ordered. I plan to make one of the mechanical torsos that has the stove door into a Kan with a grot head sticking out.

Skrall
11-03-2013, 05:26 PM
Good to see some oldschool kitbashing going on with the big guns. nice work!

-skrall

Lord Tothe
09-02-2014, 02:30 PM
Well, it's been a while since I updated. Things have been crazy, and kitbashing has been largely neglected. I have some space to work in though, and have been converting a Revell P-40 into a dakkajet. WIP pics:

As you can see, I'm starting off with some leftover bitz from another Ork player's GW model. First I orked out the nose, and carved out the cockpit. Then I started modding the wings and tail with GW add-ons. The wing structure has been weakened a lot with those guns in the old wheel wells, but the plasticard I plan to add to the wings will both strengthen it and give it a more orky profile. Next serious chore: Boxing out the cockpit and fitting the GW canopy.

Teasers of other projects: A squiggoth as a Snakebites trukk proxy, and a WW1 Nieuport 17 modded as another fighta.

Lord Tothe
12-20-2015, 01:58 AM
Deff Dread, almost fully painted.
http://www.beastsofwar.com/wp-content/uploads/forumfiles/dsc00101.jpg

Scratch-built Deff Dread using bitz trades and leftovers from the above model.
http://www.beastsofwar.com/wp-content/uploads/forumfiles/ddlf1.jpg

CAD design by me. Machining by others. Warhammer 40K medallion.
http://www.beastsofwar.com/wp-content/uploads/forumfiles/orkcoin.jpg

Lord Tothe
12-27-2015, 03:36 PM
Working on some objective markers now. I like 40mm bases since they allow a lot more room for scenic narrative. I have what I will call the Kiosk, the Monument, and the Antenna. The Kiosk was primed black, painted silver, and will now be detailed and weathered. Depending on how that turns out, I will choose how to paint the Monument. I am thinking a metallic statue, but I may change my mind. I am also not sure how I want the screen to look. I am tempted to make it a BSOD though.

Lord Tothe
03-30-2016, 02:00 PM
Front right: Attempt to build Killa Kan from Zerboz sphere. Turned out looking too big to be a kan. Will run as one anyway. Just needs base and paint.

Front left: Deff Dread built from Zerboz sphere after Kan experiment above. Treads instead of legs because treads are awesome. Still needs another gun and more detailing/bulk. I am told by facebook users that the treads are from a multimac set. I got them in a box of orks and bitz, and they already showed evidence of previous glue.

Back right: The Deff Dread posted above.

Back left, almost out of frame: The far-too-spindly legs for which I need to find a new use. Too little for a Kan, maybe good for a Cybork Warboss or Big Mek?

The knurled metal cylinders on all the models are thread inserts from a friend who works for a foundry.

Lord Tothe
05-21-2016, 03:05 PM
Well, I started painting the sphere kan, and took a bad picture with my cell phone:

I also started building a Warboss with Cybork Body and Mega Armor upgrades. Right arm is almost 100% GW aside from a couple small plasticard patches. Left arm is from a Mantic ogre and will get a power klaw from the old metal Killa Kan along with various armor bitz. The main body is mostly plasticard, junk, Killa Kan feet, and a Nob head that will eventually be enclosed with a plasticard jaw.

Kirsten
05-22-2016, 01:53 PM
those kans are excellent

Lord Tothe
05-31-2016, 11:40 PM
Primed. Many nooks and crannies that will require some brush work when I do my basecoating. My army will trend toward Blood Axes and Speed Freeks. This Boss will be of the Speed Freek variety, and will lead a crew of nobs into battle in a battlewagon eventually.