PDA

View Full Version : Ready for battle!

xbenblasterx
10-23-2013, 03:36 PM
ladies and gentlemen of the Bols community, It is a momentous occasion.

Not only did I play and win my first game of 40k this week (750pts of Grey Knights vs 750pts of Necrons in a battle over some relic) I've also now painted, constructed and based my very first Strike squad! please take a look and any more tips you could provide would be great!

Much appreciated xbenblasterx

Skullchewer
10-29-2013, 09:31 AM
It's hard to tell with that picture, but they look very good for a first attempt.

Bigred
10-29-2013, 10:48 AM
For your first miniatures, those are fantastic.

You can obviously handle fine details, as you freehanded that shield and it's heraldry. Good job there!

Some things you may want to start to add are either, drilling out slight depressions for the barrels of the bolters, or just painting on black spots. then you can practice going in and working on eyes/visors.

I won't bother with a detailed photography lesson, but the quick and dirty way to get better shots is:

1) put the minis on a large white piece of paper so they have a high contrast blank background
2) put them in a very well lit area, the more lights the better. Avoid a single distant overhead light - that's just asking for dimly lit photos.
3) steady your camera/phone - either use a timer, or just rest your phone on something and gently push the button, instead of holding the device in your hands

With just those simple 3, your pictures will improve drastically.