View Full Version : 6ed SM Bike question

krispy
10-23-2013, 02:52 AM
Hi

quick question - i have been reading the rulebook and not seen anything from any community regarding this

so the text for captains and chap masters says "Bike Squads of at least five models may be taken as troops instead of fast attack"
what i have read has mainly been regarding taking normal marines on bikes as troops....

but scouts are troops too - and i haven't read a discussion relating to taking scouts on bikes as troops - surely this must also be allowed to take mounted scouts as troops with a capn or chap master on a bike?

also if anyone does this already - how does it work for you?

thanks
/krispy

Wolfshade
10-23-2013, 03:04 AM
It does kinda make sense but no.

The rule is that "If your army includes a Captain on Space Marine bike, Space Marine Bike squads of at least five models may be taken as Troops choices"

Emphasis mine, Scouts on bikes are Scout Bike Squad and so not covered by this rule, similiarly, Attack Bike Squads are not covered by this.

Sorry.

krispy
10-23-2013, 08:25 AM
it all depends on how you read it - what you emphasize

space marine bike squads could be:

(codex) space marine bike squads

or... it could be:

space marine (fast attack) bike squads

its kind of unclear to me seeing as 'space marine bike squads' could mean either of these.

im thinking i will email and ask GW about it - may even get an answer :D

/krispy

Wolfshade
10-23-2013, 08:52 AM
There is only one unit that is called a space marine bike squad, so it must refer solely to them.

Also scout bikers are scouts on scout bikes not space marine bikes, hence they have different wargear available to them.

I think it must refer to a unit entry in the same way that in Codex: BA taking Dante allows Sanguinary Guard as Troops. Also, it would seem strange to have a HQ unit that could affect the FOC of a unit not in it's codex.

I completly understand where you are coming from, but I think it would be written to explicitly include all bike troops as in "All bike units (space marine bikes, scout bikes and attack bikes) may be taken as troop choices".

This sort of discussion was had when the previous edition of the codex came out, but certainly e-mail GW if you feel it is ambigious.

Tynskel
10-23-2013, 12:52 PM
nope, you read the entire rule, with no emphasis. Space Marine Bike Squad is a single entry in the codex.

DarkLink
10-23-2013, 03:13 PM
it all depends on how you read it - what you emphasize

space marine bike squads could be:

(codex) space marine bike squads

or... it could be:

space marine (fast attack) bike squads

its kind of unclear to me seeing as 'space marine bike squads' could mean either of these.

im thinking i will email and ask GW about it - may even get an answer :D

/krispy

No.

SON OF ROMULOUS
10-23-2013, 04:54 PM
easy answer is no they are not. look at the last codex biker troops only scouts were not included nor were attack bikes unelss bough as an upgrade for the list does it make sesnse no but it is what it is so we deal with it.

chicop76
10-23-2013, 05:37 PM
I wish they were troops. I have thought about vettinv some due to the fact they can possibly scout and infiltrate. Throw a super captain or chapter master, heck throw three of them in the squad. And you can easily start the game 12" away from anyone. You really can't hide from something that can infiltrate 18" away and than scoit 12". I'm surprised no one had done the three master/ captain in the face.

Shadoq
10-23-2013, 06:43 PM
2 problems with that:
-1: A non-infiltrator IC can not join a Infiltrator unit and infiltrate.
-2: You can't assault turn 1 after infiltrating or scouting so...

chicop76
10-23-2013, 07:03 PM
2 problems with that:
-1: A non-infiltrator IC can not join a Infiltrator unit and infiltrate.
-2: You can't assault turn 1 after infiltrating or scouting so...
1 I HAVE to re look. I get scout and infiltrate mixed up a lot. I know ICs can either join scouts and scout or infiltrate rs and infiltrate. However they still can do both.

2 wrong. If you go second yoi can assault in turn one. You just can't assault the first turn of the game. Remember it says turn and not game turn. Look up the difference between turn and game turn, or simply look at the FAQ.

DarkLink
10-23-2013, 07:17 PM
Basically, ICs confer infiltrate to units they join, except they can only join after you declare infiltrators which makes it impossible to actually infiltrate. Poor rules writing at its finest.

Tynskel
10-23-2013, 07:31 PM
Basically, ICs confer infiltrate to units they join, except they can only join after you declare infiltrators which makes it impossible to actually infiltrate. Poor rules writing at its finest.

yeah, so we don't care about that so we put them together and move on.

chicop76
10-23-2013, 07:40 PM
yeah, so we don't care about that so we put them together and move on.

Oh it never been FAQed though.. you can argue that either way.

Tynskel
10-24-2013, 07:22 AM
Oh it never been FAQed though.. you can argue that either way.

Yeah...
Tell that to anyone who has played Shrike for the past ~5 years.

chicop76
10-24-2013, 07:58 AM
Yeah...
Tell that to anyone who has played Shrike for the past ~5 years.

I Don't see it really being an issue if the ic and the unit can both infiltrate.

Tynskel
10-24-2013, 12:42 PM
I Don't see it really being an issue if the ic and the unit can both infiltrate.

Yeah, so, Shrike is supposed to Infiltrate with Assault Marines.