PDA

View Full Version : New Lizardmen Kits: Terradons or Ripperdactyls? Arc of Sotek or Solar Engine?

ElectricPaladin
10-21-2013, 02:22 PM
I'm planning to add some of the new kits to my Lizardmen collection, and I'm wondering if you can provide me with some advice on how to build them. I'm not sure if magnetizing them is up to my skill, so I figure I should make up my mind now.

I'm curious about your opinions on the terradon vs ripperdactyl question, but I'm a lot more invested in the arc of sotek vs. solar engine question. The thing is... I rather like the idea of the arc of sotek. I like big explody sun-lasers. I like how it gives support to all the Cold Blooded units around it. Most importantly, I like model better. On the other hand... I'm also a 40k player. I'm really tickled by the idea of sneaking a transport into Warhammer Fantasy. Sadly, it only transports the unit I find least interesting in the entire book.

So, those of you with more experience with Fantasy and more of a sense of what makes something good or bad, enlighten me. Which of these units do you think I want more?

Feel free to be entirely subjective and make your case.

Kirsten
10-21-2013, 02:26 PM
lasers!

Mr Mystery
10-21-2013, 02:41 PM
lasers! And Ripperdactyls, simply because characters tend to suffer more 'killing blow' hits than thy should, and there's little funnier than ripping off a Vampire's noggin then running off with it!

Also.....Jungle Swarms. They are *horrible*.....look at their special rule!

ElectricPaladin
10-21-2013, 03:00 PM
Also.....Jungle Swarms. They are *horrible*.....look at their special rule!

Which special rule? The one where they make other units' attacks poisoned? That's pretty good actually... Though they are really underwhelming on their own.

Mr Mystery
10-21-2013, 03:06 PM
That's the puppy.

Makes Saurus effin' 'orrible!

Chronowraith
10-21-2013, 03:25 PM
Solar Engine is far better than the Ark of Sotek. Ark has limited range and does limited amounts of damage. It CAN work, but you really have to build a list around it to bring out it's full effectiveness. Solar Engine on the other hand... no special tactics are required.

As for Terradons versus Ripperdactyls. Either work just fine. It depends on what you want them to do. Terradons are a little more tactically flexible since they don't have frenzy and thus can't be baited around the board. They can be war machine hunters, redirecters, flank protectors, etc. If you want pure damage output though, ripperdactyls all the way.