PDA

View Full Version : Riptide and drones

xilton
10-18-2013, 05:29 PM
Ok, I didn't see anything so wanted to make sure.

I was wondering why invest in shielded missile drones.
I only see cons:

- BS 2
- it increases your unit to 2 or 3 so if you lose a drone, you must take a leadership test for losing more then 25% (if 2 drones) and maybe run off the table like a coward (lets say he's on the table ledge or close)
- drone controler: I see people using them but the rules don't include them for getting better BS. Am I seeing wrong here (maybe FAQ)

So I don'T see a plus value. Yes it will soak up a couple wounds maybe but at what possible cost.

thanks

Aegwymourn
10-18-2013, 06:29 PM
Unless you are also attaching a character (or running the independent character riptide from FE) there really isn't a reason to use the shielded missile drones. As you pointed out there are a lot of cons (and their enormous point tag) with very few benefits with how wounds are allocated in 6th. However, if you do either of the above you can LoS! the wounds that require an invulnerable save to the drones. That is the only real purpose they can have.

(also you are correct that shielded missile drones do not benefit from a drone controller since they are neither markerlight or gun drones)

Nabterayl
10-18-2013, 06:32 PM
- drone controler: I see people using them but the rules don't include them for getting better BS. Am I seeing wrong here (maybe FAQ)
No, you're right. Drone controllers have no effect on shielded missile drones.

It's true that they present a Morale risk. On the other hand, they really are pretty tough (T6 with a 4++ is not particularly easy to get rid of, and you can guarantee that they cover you from at least one facing), and they have missile pods. BS2 is not a "con" in my book - it simply moderates how much of a "pro" the missile pod is.

So here's how I would break it down:

Pro:
Adds tough ablative wounds.
Adds some amount of versatile long range firepower.

Con:
Can require a Morale test at Ld9.
Relatively high absolute points cost.
If those cons outweigh the pros for you, then no, I suppose you shouldn't take them. But I don't think this is a case of there being an obvious right answer.

xilton
10-18-2013, 09:42 PM
Thanks guys

Gleipnir
10-19-2013, 05:44 AM
What wasn't mentioned though was the advantage you get from adding a Commander w/ drones and Special Issue wargear to the Riptide with Drones, due to the Riptide being a monstrous creature consisting of more than 1 model allowing for independent characters, and rules for majority toughness for wounds, you can make a command unit with higher leadership, high toughness, rerolls to misses, ignores cover, and choice of special abilities and even more ablative wounds without sacrificing any of the mobility.

Aegwymourn
10-19-2013, 08:58 AM
(T6 with a 4++ is not particularly easy to get rid of, and you can guarantee that they cover you from at least one facing)

The crummy part of this is all someone has to do is shoot some bolters first and force (on average) 4 saves to kill your drones. I'm not saying they are unsuable but generally from a competitive standpoint not worth their points. Also if you run the standard Iontide you don't really need an extra couple of missile shots at the terminators you just made cry :p

Nabterayl
10-19-2013, 10:03 AM
The crummy part of this is all someone has to do is shoot some bolters first and force (on average) 4 saves to kill your drones. I'm not saying they are unsuable but generally from a competitive standpoint not worth their points. Also if you run the standard Iontide you don't really need an extra couple of missile shots at the terminators you just made cry :p
Sure, but each BS4 bolter shot has a 0.06% chance of downing a shielded ion drone. 3+ to hit, 6+ to wound, 3- to kill is not that weak, in my opinion.

dirkspair
10-20-2013, 03:33 AM
It is actually 5.5% for a bolter shot to kill one of those drones.

Head in a jar
10-20-2013, 05:49 AM
If your facing lots of grav centurions in your local games, I find the shielded missile drones to be amazing! The grav cannons wound you on a 4+ rather than a 2+ which is a huge difference in my books plus the 4++ save is a nice bonus too :D

Nabterayl
10-20-2013, 10:55 AM
It is actually 5.5% for a bolter shot to kill one of those drones.
My bad. I can multiply ...

Still, while it's four saves to kill the drones, it's 24 hits to force those saves, and 36 shots to force those 24 hits. Saying that you expect the two drones to die to a measly 36 regular bolter shots doesn't say "fragile" to me.

chicop76
10-20-2013, 11:06 AM
If your facing lots of grav centurions in your local games, I find the shielded missile drones to be amazing! The grav cannons wound you on a 4+ rather than a 2+ which is a huge difference in my books plus the 4++ save is a nice bonus too :D

With a 72" threat range why are you within 30" of them to be able to shoot at your riptide to begin with unless they was in a raider which gives them 36" to be a threat. Still unless you are talking about grav bikes which I kill with a vengeance. I just don't see the short range of the centurions as a threat since I can throw strength 7 ap 2 at them 72" away. Follewed with my broadsides and drone snipers which all have a much greater range than the cannons.

Head in a jar
10-20-2013, 02:21 PM
I tend to see them attached to Shadowsun from the Tau empire and being infiltrated 18 inches away. Now when your not going 1st that's a pain to deal with!

FTGT
10-25-2013, 06:50 AM
What wasn't mentioned though was the advantage you get from adding a Commander w/ drones and Special Issue wargear to the Riptide with Drones, due to the Riptide being a monstrous creature consisting of more than 1 model allowing for independent characters, and rules for majority toughness for wounds, you can make a command unit with higher leadership, high toughness, rerolls to misses, ignores cover, and choice of special abilities and even more ablative wounds without sacrificing any of the mobility.

This isn't mentioned, I assume, because I think it's become mostly accepted that because it can take drones, it can be joined. You don't have to take drones to join an IC. That said, one bonus to adding drones if you're adding Commanders and other ICs is that it can help you maintain majority Tougness at 6. Generally though, I think the cost is too high for the fairly minor positives they add to an already powerful and effective unit

MajorWesJanson
10-25-2013, 07:56 AM
I tend to see them attached to Shadowsun from the Tau empire and being infiltrated 18 inches away. Now when your not going 1st that's a pain to deal with!

It also boosts Shadowsun greatly and her 3d6 jetpack move is fun as well.