PDA

View Full Version : Sisters Codex?

ElectricPaladin
10-18-2013, 03:23 PM
The new Sisters of Battle Codex is out... and their website is totally FUBAR.

I don't suppose anyone lucky enough to get the codex before the Warp storm arrived would be willing to post some of the choicer details? I'd appreciate it. It'll stop me from tearing my hair out and beating my head bloody against my laptop.

DarkLink
10-18-2013, 04:05 PM
I'm waiting for someone to say the codex is solid before spending that much money for a stupid pdf. But I just finished painting St Celestine, and it looks so awesome that I need to play my Sisters again.

daboarder
10-18-2013, 05:53 PM
I'm waiting for someone to say the codex is solid before spending that much money for a stupid pdf. But I just finished painting St Celestine, and it looks so awesome that I need to play my Sisters again.

I think you'll be waiting a while......yeah it looks a little painful over at bolter

Shield of faith gives 6++ and adamantium will now.
No more faith points, acts are one use only and passed on a leadership test.
Priests get war hymns that give some pretty good buffs on a leadership test.
Rhinos up 5 points
Immolators down 5 and multi-melta upgrade is now free
Exorcist down 10 (holy :cuss)
Celestine up to 135 and weapon now gives S+2 AP3, also she gets back up with full rules.
Jacobus up to 100 and banner is worse.
Celestines down to 14 and get furious charge AoF
Command squads get unliimted specials and no longer have to take hospitaler and dialogus, dialogus can take relics.
Repentia down to 14 and get fnp 3+ as AoF
Battle sisters as seen on black library site but AoF now gives preferred enemy
Seraphim special weapons halved in price, AoF gives shred
Dominions get 4 specials in 5 woman squads

Dominions' new act of faith apparently lets them ignore cover instead of twin-linked. Don't know what Hymns are yet.

Warlord Traits:
1 - Executioner: Warlord gains Fear.
2 - Indomitable: Warlord and unit with Shield of Faith have 5+ invulnerable save.
3 - Pure: Warlord and unit reroll failed Deny the Witch
4 - Rage: Warlord gains Rage.
5 - Beacon: All units within 12" of Warlord use her leadership on Acts or Hymn tests.
6 - Orator: Friendlies within 12" gain Stubborn.

ElectricPaladin
10-18-2013, 05:54 PM
I am gradually coming to the same conclusion. I'm kind of glad that my attempt to buy it failed, because I'm no longer certain that I want it... perhaps I'll... ah... acquire a... "trial" copy and then make my decision.

daboarder
10-18-2013, 05:58 PM
It might be pretty solid, its going to be packing about an extra 3rd in the volume of special weapons give the squad size and points decreases.

edit: repentia lost their base FnP....but they can buy transports.....

priests roughly halved in points and give out some serious buffs (hymms)

There is no 3 wound priest anymore (apart from Jacobus), just the 1 wound version. Take upto 5 (dont take up a HQ slot) and for each one you may select a battle conclave. They are cheaper than before (almost half their cost from WD) and have the Zealot USR and a rule called War Hymns. When the priest is engagaed in melee he may make a Ld test at the beginning of each Fight sub-phase and habe a special effect take place for that combat,. The effects are re-roll all failed armour and invulnerable saves until the end of the phase, the priest gets Smite or Priest and his unit re-roll failed rolls To Wound.

Kyranov is GONE!

War hymns are melee buffs that priests can give, reroll to wounds, reroll failed saves, or priest smash.

Relics
are pretty standard, blessed blade is back, S+2 AP3 master crafted,
cloak lets you reroll failed armour saves and shield of faith saves,
mantle gives eternal warrior.

mathhammer
10-18-2013, 06:10 PM
some nerfs but some nice buffs to.
Acts of faith occur once per unit per game but can spend points to get 2, however no more faith points.
Heavy flamers are cheap again.
5 woman squad gets 2 special or 1 special 1 heavy weapon (big buff)
Priest are useful again.

looks like decent so far, got to build some test list for Saturday now.

daboarder
10-18-2013, 06:13 PM
yeah 5 chick Immo spam is going to be interesting

i think the codex is going to be less juicy bits like celestine and more solid crunch and backbone if BSS are any good.

Iyandagar
10-18-2013, 06:26 PM
Little old Cellie no longer has springs fitted in her boots... At best she gets one bounce back.

Learn2Eel
10-19-2013, 12:48 AM
Reecius (http://www.frontlinegaming.org/2013/10/18/sisters-of-battle-first-impressions/) wrote up an early impressions article for the codex, it looks like Sisters players are getting their value's worth! Pretty ironic how the least seen army in 40K is going to be the hard-counter to some of the top tournament builds like Screamerstars! Immolator spam and free multi-meltas with 5-woman squads packed to the teeth with special weapons looks like it will be a pretty crazy build.

eldargal
10-19-2013, 01:05 AM
Rules seem decent to me providing costs are appropriate.

Learn2Eel
10-19-2013, 01:16 AM
Anyone else realize how ridiculous this book could be? Ok, its 900 points for six identical units of Battle Sisters; five sisters, veteran superior with condemnor boltgun (bye-bye any psyker in the game), two meltaguns, Immolator with multi-melta. 900 points for what amounts to a better version of the old Razorback MSU lists is just insane. Throw in Dominions who kept Scout and can take four special weapons even at a five Sister squad, as well as Immolators with free multi-meltas just like the Battle Sisters. Chuck in the already very strong Exorcists who got a 10 point price drop, using three of them. And this is an army that will easily fit in at 1850 points; from what I can tell, after taking all that you will end up with around 200 points spare for a HQ unit. Points allowing, chuck in a Canoness, a Command Squad and another Immolator; give the Canoness and her Command Squad Condemnor Boltguns or whatever special weapons you want. Drink everyone's tears. Wow. Anyone saying this codex isn't strong is out of their minds!

Anyone else spot how Screamerstars, Seer Councils, hell any psyker in the game is hard-countered by Sisters of Battle now?

eldargal
10-19-2013, 01:44 AM
Anyone else having problems downloading it from the BL site?

Edit: Nevermind *shakes fist at BL.com*

JMichael
10-19-2013, 01:56 AM
I like it so far! Been playing Sisters for a long time, and even with the WD Codex I have been winning most of my games in 6th edition.

St. Celestine is still a beast and I like the 'once per game' Acts of Faith. Fewer uses than before, but a simple Ld check instead of the 5+ (not including bonuses).
Thank the Emperor that the Exorcist is unchanged! I was sooo worried about them making the weapon a simple Heavy 2.
Immolate turret weapons are free!
Finally some wargear and option upgrades for characters!
As much as I prefer playing an all lady army, the Ministorum Priests will be a 'must have' in my list!
Retributor Heavy Bolters doubled in price, but the Heavy Flamer is far cheaper!
Not sure the 'book' is worth $33USD...$25 would be more acceptable, but the Altar of War missions are great imho.

FYI, you can download the Mobi file version and open/read it in the free Amazon Kindle app on your PC or tablet.

JMichael
10-19-2013, 01:58 AM

The straight up Download links didn't work for me. I had to R-Click them and choose 'open in new tab' then I could download the file. I may have pop-ups blocked...but this way worked for me.

eldargal
10-19-2013, 02:18 AM
Yep that's what I had to do as well.

Warseer has decided the book is terrible, didn't see that one coming.

euansmith
10-19-2013, 02:43 AM
Where oh where are the plastic SoBs mentioned in rumour this past years gone?

euansmith
10-19-2013, 02:46 AM
As much as I prefer playing an all lady army, the Ministorum Priests will be a 'must have' in my list!

Sounds like a conversion opportunity :) Ministorum Priestesses...

eldargal
10-19-2013, 02:58 AM
I've converted some Bretonnian damsels to be priestesses.

daboarder
10-19-2013, 04:11 AM
Those condemnor armed slotless command squads are going to be insteringt. Its basically a delet button for enemy psyker support

chicop76
10-19-2013, 06:05 AM

I did the same to make my jacobs with shot gun and banner. Are they plastic now. I had to wash the metal model and use a dremel kit to make my Jacobs.

YorkNecromancer
10-19-2013, 06:21 AM

Pics?

eldargal
10-19-2013, 07:12 AM
No pics sorry, I'm working on it.:p I'm almost as fast as the AdMech.

Chicop, they are Finecast now which makes it a lot easier. Swapped the sword on one for a bolt pistol and on the other I lopped the head off her spear and replaced it with a large Fleur de Lys I had lying around and 40k'd it up with some purity seals. It still looks a bit fantasylike but whatever, she's a priestess not a Space Marine.

DarkCrisis
10-19-2013, 08:33 AM
No pics sorry, I'm working on it.:p I'm almost as fast as the AdMech.

Chicop, they are Finecast now which makes it a lot easier. Swapped the sword on one for a bolt pistol and on the other I lopped the head off her spear and replaced it with a large Fleur de Lys I had lying around and 40k'd it up with some purity seals. It still looks a bit fantasylike but whatever, she's a priestess not a Space Marine.

Cool idea, but how do you deal with one sitting side saddle on a horse?

DarkLink
10-19-2013, 09:48 AM
Basic Sisters are still a little overpriced, and I don't know what's up with all of those acts of faith that give stuff like furious charge to units that suck in assault, but otherwise, pretty good.

Patrick Boyle
10-19-2013, 10:15 AM

Yeah, the Black Library website is a total mess. Can't even correctly checkout if you're using Chrome, the last time I tried to buy books there anyway. I had to fire up IE...

It sounds like the sisters players around here should be relatively happy with this one till the real thing eventually comes.

JMichael
10-19-2013, 10:28 AM
Basic Sisters are still a little overpriced, and I don't know what's up with all of those acts of faith that give stuff like furious charge to units that suck in assault, but otherwise, pretty good.

Celestians have that Act of Faith. While they are not a great dedicated CC unit...when they charge and use their Act of Faith they are Str 4, 2+1 Attacks. And the Act also effects Characters in that unit. So your Priest using his War Hymn with Smash would be Str7 AP2.
Again, not a huge game winning moment. But perhaps enough to kill that small unit that is in your lines or on an Objective.

Personally I never take Celestians (they really need CC weapon options like Chainswords) as I'd rather spend the points on more Battle Sisters.

The Repentia Act is pretty great though...3+ FnP. They also have Fleet and will be 4 Attacks each on the charge!!! With an Eviscerator! Bye Bye Terminator squad!

Kuhlbert
10-19-2013, 11:04 AM
So what about flyers? a) Did they get any, and b) did they get any skyfire units?

DarkLink
10-19-2013, 11:08 AM
Repentia still don't have a transport to deliver them, so there's not much point with them.

Also, no, I don't see any. I don't think Sisters will be a particularly good stand-alone army, but they'll be awesome with allies.

Zahariel
10-19-2013, 12:11 PM
Repentia still don't have a transport to deliver them, so there's not much point with them.

Also, no, I don't see any. I don't think Sisters will be a particularly good stand-alone army, but they'll be awesome with allies.

I thought repentia could access dedicated transports now?

Aegis
10-19-2013, 12:15 PM
I thought repentia could access dedicated transports now?

But no assault transport. It is not the best option, but it at least acts as a better delivery system then before...

JMichael
10-19-2013, 12:36 PM
I will sometimes take Dark Angel Allies for my AA. 1 Tac squad and a Nephilim Fighter. If 1750, I might through in an Aegis Defense line with lascannon (and have the Dark Angels man it).
But my Exocists are great AA. Sure I need a 6 to hit, but with D6 shots and 2-3 Exorcists...always, I have a decent chance. And at Str 8 AP1 all I need is 1-2 hits and most Flyers go down.
You can also use the Forgeworld Avenger Fighter...but should we ever get a full Codex and Army redo, I'm sure a Sister's only Flyer will be included.

Perhaps the new I.G. codex will have an Air Superiority Flyer that will make a great Ally unit.

sfshilo
10-19-2013, 02:29 PM
A priest with a condemner bolter, a rhino with armour, and nine flagrants are 175 points. Run five of these squads straight at the other army full speed. Then take Uriah and some sisters spam for some shenannigans. Good luck hell turkeying 20 sisters with 5+ invulns lol.

Condemner BOLTERS EVERYWHERE. Priests are a crazy cheap force multiplier. 25 points and throw them in some space marine assault or terminators squads and go nuts.

Best anti psker army by FAR.

RowRow
10-19-2013, 03:02 PM
Downloaded in on my Nexus 7 but cann't find a reader that will let me see if without mucking up the formatting, anyone have any tips?

DarkLink
10-19-2013, 03:14 PM
I'm still trying to figure out how to get it to load on my phone. Chrome can open it in the full browser, at least.

Aegis
10-19-2013, 03:30 PM
I'm still trying to figure out how to get it to load on my phone. Chrome can open it in the full browser, at least.

If you have the ePub file, most readers will work. Being Canadian, I use the Kobo app to open it.

RowRow
10-19-2013, 03:54 PM
Got it working with Kobo, cheers Aegis!

phoenix darkus
10-19-2013, 06:50 PM
Without divulging point value, can someone give the details on the condemnor boltgun? How does it work? Is it one time use? Who has access to them? I have a hard time understanding how even a handful of those can efficiently affect say a daemon army for example.

kore5022
10-20-2013, 09:34 AM
Perhaps the new I.G. codex will have an Air Superiority Flyer that will make a great Ally unit.

They already do have one of (if not the) best air supoeriority flyer in the vendetta and if that's not your taste can always go for hydras as well, spend troops on some cheap platoon and you have the best allies you could ask for really.

jeffthewookiee
10-20-2013, 05:22 PM
Do the Seraphim still get to shoot both of their pistols?

kore5022
10-20-2013, 07:26 PM
Do the Seraphim still get to shoot both of their pistols?

Everyone gets to shoot two pistols in 6th ed, check gunslinger rule in main rulebook

The Sovereign
10-20-2013, 09:12 PM
Those condemnor armed slotless command squads are going to be insteringt. Its basically a delet button for enemy psyker support

Yup. I found this out today when I played against the new codex with my fluffy Thousand Sons army. :/

daboarder
10-20-2013, 10:54 PM
ouch!

Kenpo Bill
10-21-2013, 11:13 AM
Ardent Blade is no longer wounds on a 4+ for St. Celestine. Now it is just a power weapon. :( This makes it hard to fight Toughness 7 creatures that are heretical.

silashand
10-23-2013, 02:25 PM

Mordheim Sisters of Sigmar work well also, as does the special character Bertha Bestraufrung...

Da Gargoyle
10-27-2013, 01:22 AM
Reading the thread on assessing the codex, it seems to me that sisters would be perfect allies for IG. In the fluff there is an animosity towards space marines, given that the nuns have guns as a work around for imperial edict. I wonder if the dex will make CSM hated because of their betrayal of the faith?

But a spearhead unit of sisters suppressing psykers while the IG hammers the troops with the Russ and arty and flyers works for me. Also a combo of Vets armed with Sword & pistol supporting a Sisters assault unit might be interesting and make both units more survivable because of the numbers. Maybe IG can lend the Sisters a troop flyer, depends on how close the relationship is I suppose. And Yessss!!! in the rules they are Battle Brothers, sort of. Never saw my brothers in a breast plate like that.