PDA

View Full Version : First Eldar List w/New Codex (1.5k)

ElectricPaladin
10-17-2013, 05:05 PM
So... how am I doing here?

HQ
• Farseer on Jetbike w/Singing Spear, Runes of Warding & Witnessing

Elites
• 5 Fire Dragons, Exarch w/Firepike, Fast Shot

Troops
• 10 Dire Avengers, Exarch w/Twin-Linked Guns
° Wave Serpent w/Twin-Linked Shuriken Cannons, Shuriken Cannon
• 10 Dire Avengers, Exarch w/Twin-Linked Guns
° Wave Serpent w/Twin-Linked Shuriken Cannons, Shuriken Cannon
• 5 Rangers
• 5 Rangers

Fast Attack
• 4 Shining Spears, Exarch w/Star Lance, Hit & Run

Heavy Support
• Falcon w/Scatter Lasers, Shuriken Cannon
• 3 War Walkers, 2 w/Scatter Laser and Missile Launcher (+ Flakk), 1 w/Scatter Laser & Bright Lance

What do you think? Am I more or less doing this Eldar thing right?

I have other models I'm not using here, including guardians, guardian... pardon me, windrider jetbikes, striking scorpions, a butt-ton of harlequins, warlocks, wraithguard, etc...

Garradh
10-17-2013, 06:04 PM
Farseer on bike with the SS? Aggressive unit that is kinda squishy seems like a bad place for a Farseer. Either your SS unit is being aggressive and keeping the Farseer from buffing your units, or the Farseer is hanging back and your SS unit isn't being played aggressively enough. I would consider switching out for an Autarch on bike or giving the Farseer the Mantle of the Laughing Eldar Player.

Lost Vyper
10-18-2013, 02:03 AM
I would switch the tlSCīs to Scatter Lasers (for Laser Lock in case firing the shield) or to tlBL against strong AV -vehicles. My choice is ALWAYS tlBL+Holofields. On Exarch PW+SS (Powersword) is a MUST. Or go naked, tl doesnīt really do jack. Without a ride, the FDīs are pointless, but i reckon you are going to use the Falcon? Missiles on Walkers COST A LOT. My choice is Scatter/BL or Scatter/Star Cannon (in case thereīs Terminators...). Runes nowadays, meh, never use them. They cost a lot and are one use only, so you could shave off points there...

- Lost Vyper

Dave Mcturk
10-18-2013, 07:06 AM
unless you are fighting some very nice opposition your rangers are just easy pickings.
if you ditch them it frees up points to mess around with your vehicles

and DA really need the exarch with PS/SS to get them a decent save in open... and they will end up in the open at some stage !

imo you should stick the dragons in another WS... as the falcon is almost overcosted and certainly doesnt want to be within 24" of any enemy ... ... if you do stick with a falcon i would be tempted to say it needs STONES and if you are going to commit it early HOLOs as well

wavz can downgrade critical hits with their shields up ... so can get dragons in closer...

on dragons i tend to use 6 or 7 ... it might be my dice ... but 5 is never enough ! ... still torn on the dragonarch... its a lot of points... and that snake-eyes is a killer !

its just a thought but for pretty much the same points you can get reapers at 8/3 with a 48" range ... bit more survivability... and they have night vision and rangefinders ...

chicop76
10-18-2013, 07:17 AM
Fire Dragons should be in a transport. I like people that play with what they like, so besides the no transport for your melta guns I wouldn't have any other comments.

I never seen a farseer with singing spears. Might work. Too bad a spirit seer can't ride a bike or a warlock can join the singing spears. Invisibility would work nice with that squad with prscience.

If you have the jetbikes it wouldn't be a bad ideal to field them.

ElectricPaladin
10-18-2013, 07:34 AM
Thanks for the good feedback. I'll report back with a Draft 2.

It seems like not a lot has changed in the Eldar codex, except for some new options and the fact that everything that can have two different guns wants one of them to be a scatter laser now. I'm amused by the fact that I finally seem to have gotten war walker right!

chicop76
10-18-2013, 08:13 AM
Basically play your eldar like you did in 4th and under. Wraithguard serpent lost are back, eldar bikes are pretty good due to being able to move 12", turbo 24", and than move 2d6". That means you can move 48" max in one turn with 3plus saves and a 4plus cover save. Throw in a warlock in the squad they could have a plus two cover save. Seriously I hate eldar bikes.

Yeah scatter lasers allow for twin linked shooting. In my opinion I rather have two bright lances instead. Although the scatter laser makes the unit more versatile.

Pssyche
10-18-2013, 01:13 PM
Basically play your eldar like you did in 4th and under. Wraithguard serpent lost are back, eldar bikes are pretty good due to being able to move 12", turbo 24", and than move 2d6". That means you can move 48" max in one turn with 3plus saves and a 4plus cover save. Throw in a warlock in the squad they could have a plus two cover save. Seriously I hate eldar bikes.

Yeah scatter lasers allow for twin linked shooting. In my opinion I rather have two bright lances instead. Although the scatter laser makes the unit more versatile.

Eldar Jetbikes Turboboost 36" Rulebook P.45 last sentence.
They don't then get the 2d6 Assault Phase move, but it is a guaranteed 48" of movement, not an average of 43".

chicop76
10-18-2013, 03:16 PM
Eldar Jetbikes Turboboost 36" Rulebook P.45 last sentence.
They don't then get the 2d6 Assault Phase move, but it is a guaranteed 48" of movement, not an average of 43".

I didn't notice they vot rid of the 2d6 assault move for them

Garradh
10-18-2013, 05:30 PM
I would reiterate that WWs with MLs and starshot missiles are very expensive and not the best choice for AAA. AV10 vehicles can get hit pretty hard by an arriving aircraft before they get a chance to shoot.

ElectricPaladin
10-18-2013, 05:32 PM
I would reiterate that WWs with MLs and starshot missiles are very expensive and not the best choice for AAA. AV10 vehicles can get hit pretty hard by an arriving aircraft before they get a chance to shoot.

What would you recommend instead? Other than investing in a flyer kit, which will happen, but not any time soon.

Garradh
10-18-2013, 05:42 PM
For my list I don't take any AAA, but it's a very Wraithy list. A Guided shooty unit like SL War Walkers puts out a lotta shots . . . sure they only hit on 6s, but on average that's around 7 S6 hits. In my games I've shot down flyers (surprisingly) with Wraithguards and my twin-BL Wraithlord.

If you can't squeeze in a ADL with quad gun, and you plan on buying a flyer in the near future, keep experimenting with the setup you have. Not optimal, but sometimes you go with the models you have, y'dig?

Dave Mcturk
10-21-2013, 08:43 AM
hi guys ... just to point out Eldar & DE bikes can still take a 2d6 move in the assault phase[p45 brb near the pretty red bike] ... but presumably cannot also turbo boost... although the rules are typically unclear... the blurb at the top [p45] trying to explain 'turbo-boosting' ... indicates that 'turbo boosting' is done [sic instead of shooting] in the shooting phase... where as the 'free move' is taken instead of charging in the assault phase.

so shoot is still on ... especially for DE allies who have 'skilled rider'

poor shining spears with a ridiculous 6" range probably shouldnt rely on it !