PDA

View Full Version : Scout Moves

TimmyPowerGamer
10-17-2013, 02:00 AM
Hi

I have a couple of questions about Scout moves...

1) In the rules it says that a unit may redeploy up to 6" or 12". Can a scouting unit leave it's deployment zone?

2) If a bike squad scouts, does it count as moving for the sake of Jink saves if your opponent gets first turn?

Thanks

Wolfshade
10-17-2013, 02:34 AM
1) Yes, anywhere within 6"-12" of your starting position, as long as you stay more than 12" away from enemy models.

2) No, Scout is now a redeploy and not a Scout Move like it was back in 5th.

Remember if you infiltrate and scout you cannot assault first turn, but you might be close enough to armour for armour bane to kick in.

Katharon
10-17-2013, 02:39 AM
What Wolfshade said. Also, don't forget that if you keep a unit with the Scout USR in reserve, then you can outflank with it when it comes onto the board. Always useful to keep in mind.

TimmyPowerGamer
10-17-2013, 02:58 AM
Thanks guys. Had a player pull these on me last night and wasn't 100% sure, so didn't argue the point.

chicop76
10-17-2013, 07:17 AM
White scars can scout a bunch of rhinos mid field and some landraiders as well. Which means if they go second it's possible toaassault turn one.

Wolfshade
10-17-2013, 07:36 AM
White scars can scout a bunch of rhinos mid field and some landraiders as well. Which means if they go second it's possible toaassault turn one.

Yup that was cleared up in the FAQ as there was an argument about the language:

Q: The rulebook states "A unit that makes a Scout redeployment cannot charge in the first turn." Does this mean that if your
opponent has the first turn and you go second, your Scouting unit can charge? (p41)
A: Yes.

Though of course you might have issues assaulting out of a rhino...

Kaptain Badrukk
10-17-2013, 07:39 AM
But you could roll up point blank and rapid fire them up the nostrils!

ElectricPaladin
10-17-2013, 07:45 AM
Don't forget that in order to Outflank you must declare when you put the unit in Reserves (that is, during deployment) that it is Outflanking, and then it must enter via Outflanking, even if the tactical situation changes.

Wolfshade
10-17-2013, 07:45 AM
Assuming that they didn't get some armourbane action first ;)

mathhammer
10-17-2013, 09:36 AM
Remember if you infiltrate and scout you cannot assault first turn, but you might be close enough to armour for armour bane to kick in.

Question is how does this effect much?

Wolfshade
10-18-2013, 02:14 AM
Question is how does this effect much?

It could force a complete rethink of how to use a scouting unit.

chicop76
10-18-2013, 05:26 AM
Due to the possibility of turn one assault I feel forced into fielding infiltrators to countering basically a free game turn. White Scars, Daemons and Dark Angels love to scout with a quarter or the entire army in your face. I think it would be interesting to see White Scars face a Hound heavy daemon list, it would be who assaults who first.

I suggest takining infiltrators or even scout units to vs the pregame scout crap. The best anti scout scenerio is to run daemon hunters who can use servo skulls to prevent scouting completely.

Haighus
10-18-2013, 07:58 AM
I suggest takining infiltrators or even scout units to vs the pregame scout crap. The best anti scout scenerio is to run daemon hunters who can use servo skulls to prevent scouting completely.
I guess this is pretty fluffy- the anti-daemon force is the one best at stopping daemons getting their turn one assault. :D

chicop76
10-18-2013, 08:22 AM
I guess this is pretty fluffy- the anti-daemon force is the one best at stopping daemons getting their turn one assault. :D

It's funny that Grey Knight players rarely use them. It means they have to pick an unnamed character. I either take them with my techmarine or inquisitor. At most you are paying 15 points for three skulls that screw up infiltrators and scouters. Funny that people think I am cheating until I show them the rules since most gk players use cortez/ draigo/ the hq that makes purifiers into troops.

Aegwymourn
10-18-2013, 06:32 PM
Who still uses Crowe what rubbish :p

Infiltrators and scouts are the new thing in 6th. Which is actually nice IMO forces a lot more tactical thought with the game.