PDA

View Full Version : On a Skyshield landing platform, is there a choice of saves for vehicles?

Denzark
10-15-2013, 03:13 PM
Chaps and chapesses

We have all seen vehicles on top of skyshield platforms. The platform counts as difficult terrain so if you pass your test to get up there, you can stick a rather unlikely tank on there and drive off with impunity (taking another test).

When the shield walls are furled, units on the pad get a 4+ invuln.

But, what is to prevent a vehicle unit getting a cover save instead, based on TLOS and the fact that the furled shield walls cover more than 25% of the vehicle?

I know you can only have one or the other, but a choice would be of use if the opposition has some invuln nerfing ability.

If you can think of a rule that prevents the TLOS/25% obstruction of a vehicle granting a cover save for a vehicle on a skyshield, I would be glad to have a reference.

Cheers all,

Nabterayl
10-15-2013, 03:37 PM
But, what is to prevent a vehicle unit getting a cover save instead, based on TLOS and the fact that the furled shield walls cover more than 25% of the vehicle?
Nothing that I'm aware of. It wouldn't even necessarily have to be furled, depending on the vehicle in question, how close it was to the platform edge, and where the firing eyes were located in space.

biffster666
10-15-2013, 03:40 PM
I've seen people use the cover save instead of the 4++ on a Skyshield landing pad with Infiltrators, and lots of different units (including vehicles) during night fighting.

isotope99
10-15-2013, 04:18 PM
Should definitely get cover for being obscured but what save?

The cover chart gives fortifications a 3+ cover and the skyshield is purchased as a fortification but I think bastions and fortresses is what they were going for, a 4+ feels more reasonable on the basis that the shields that are giving the cover look a lot like defence line barricades (it also lines up with the inv). 5+ feels too weedy compared to other comparable cover like woods and craters.

Nabterayl
10-15-2013, 04:38 PM
Given that an aegis line and the battlements of a fortress give a 4+ cover save, I'm inclined to agree.

Allen Broussard
10-15-2013, 07:17 PM
And if a vidicare assasin pops your invun save, what stops you from moving off of the skyshield pap, then moving back on and regaining said invunerable save.

Katharon
10-15-2013, 10:24 PM
You use whichever save is better. If you get hit with Ignores Cover attacks, you'd obviously use the 4++ instead of any 3+ cover saves. I think it says it in the rulebook even: go with whatever save is best.

Denzark
10-16-2013, 01:11 AM
You use whichever save is better. If you get hit with Ignores Cover attacks, you'd obviously use the 4++ instead of any 3+ cover saves. I think it says it in the rulebook even: go with whatever save is best.

Ah - would you have to? What if there was some cunning effect the enemy did, such as some psychic power making you re-roll the invuln, so that for whatever reason you preferred the cover save?

Interesting thoughts, I appreciate the discussion.

biffster666
10-16-2013, 06:07 AM
You would be able to use the cover save instead of the Invulnerable save if it's 'better' Denzark. A few examples Night fighting turn one and the 4+ cover can become a 2+ real quick which you could use instead of the Invulnerable. Same idea with units that have Shrouded/Stealth. On the flip side of the coin, if an Eldar player takes a shot at your Scouts on the pad and has Perfect Timing (no cover save) you'll be using the Invulnerable save from the pad. Make sense?

DarkLink
10-16-2013, 07:38 AM
And if a vidicare assasin pops your invun save, what stops you from moving off of the skyshield pap, then moving back on and regaining said invunerable save.

A Vindicare can't take away a Skyshield save. Skyshields aren't wargear, and Vindicares can only take away Invulnerable saves granted by wargear.

Katharon
10-16-2013, 08:18 AM
And a Vindicare can't destroy the landing pad with a turbo penetration round either. In fact, the Landing Pad can't be destroyed at all.

Lord Krungharr
10-18-2013, 06:52 PM
You always take the best save possible, and if a save you have is ignored by an attack that wounds you, that ignored save no longer applies, as it's not the best then.

I think it's certainly reasonable to call the Skyshield walls a 4+ cover save too. 3+ is for stuff with battlements. Nurgle Daemons love that stuff!

Then there's the whole 'do we have to take our 3+ armor save instead of my fancy rerollable 4++ from a Greater Reward and Forewarning on a Bloodthirster'. That's another ball of worms in wax.
(to me though, best means best chance of successful saving throw)

Dave Mcturk
10-21-2013, 12:00 PM
really ! as its a skyshield we only let skimmers on it... other vehicles can only drive on if there is a roadway ! ... even 40k vehicles cant ignore gravity !

Nabterayl
10-21-2013, 12:29 PM
really ! as its a skyshield we only let skimmers on it... other vehicles can only drive on if there is a roadway ! ... even 40k vehicles cant ignore gravity !
I'm with you on that one.

Urtyfang
10-24-2013, 08:17 AM
But vehicles can make a difficult terrain test, they can move through difficult terrain, and as such move on and off the shield.

It's just a game, reality has little to do with things :)

Dave Mcturk
10-25-2013, 08:22 AM
whacky races... yes its a game but suspension of common sense and 'laws of physics' is not required...

Urtyfang
10-26-2013, 09:49 AM
whacky races... yes its a game but suspension of common sense and 'laws of physics' is not required...

well allowing tanks to get up there is one of the strategies to use against the skyshield. rules wise you can tank shock the models and force them off the shield.

fluff wise, the difficult terrain check indicates

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of-ZRsAK6G8

and this was 20 years ago, think of how much more stuff tanks would have so they can get up a small cliff face or whatever else is in their way.