PDA

View Full Version : Iron Hands/Dark Angels 2000 points

rxcky
10-15-2013, 07:31 AM
So I've been toying with the idea of a Big Guns themed Iron Hands list for a while now and have finally put it down on paper. I wanted to take advantage of the double force org at 2000 and also wanted to squeeze some Divination in there too, among other things.

So here we go:

Iron Hands: Primary

HQ.
Chap Master.
Bike/Burning Blade/Artificer/Storm Shield = 240

Master Of Forge.
1xServitor = 100

Skyshield = 75

Troops.
Tactical Squad 5 Man
Razorback with Twin Las Cannon
Grav Gun = 160

Tactical Squad 5 Man
Grav Gun = 160

Tactical Squad 5 Man
Sgt-Combi
Razorback Hvy Bolter
Grav Gun = 150

Heavy.
3x Predator Twin Las Cannon Turret/Las Cannon Sponsons = 420

2x Stalker = 150

Dark Angels: Allied

HQ.
Librarian Lv2 (Divination)
Bike = 120

Techmarine
Bike/Infravisor/Powerfield Generator/Auspex = 110

Ravenwing Command Squad 5 Man
Ravenwing Banner/Apothicary = 245

Troops.
Scouts 5 Man
Sniper Rifles/Camo Cloaks = 70

Total 2000pts on the nose

The Tanks will sit on the Skyshield, may have to do a little converting to that to raise the back a bit for the Stalkers to see over the other tanks. Master of Forge and Servitor will sit up here and repair stuff on a 2+. I went with the Skyshield over the Aegis for the Invun Save, too many things taking away cover saves these days. It will be a little cramped but the invun should help. Would have preferred another Techmarine up there to repair things but I don't have the points. Scouts will infiltrate and snipe any MC's, Tacticals may well start in reserve to keep them alive to get on and take objectives, I have given them Spec.Weapons but not sure if they will be used or not but nice to have them, I may take them out and buy another Techmarine with the points. Chapter Master will join the Librarian, Ravenwing Command and Techmarine, I wanted a Chapter Master for the Orbital, which I can use as he's on a bike, a nice first turn boom will hopefully take out a few things. Infravisor gives the unit Night Vision, an auspex is in there for taking away some cover saves and the 4+ invun for all those within 3 inches keeps the unit alive long enough to get up close and much things. I went with the Ravenwing over a normal Command Squad for a number of reasons, the plasma Talons, the Hit and Run, (auto and an extra D6 for the Raven Banner), the Scout move, the Skilled Rider, all adds up and should keep them alive long enough to make their points back (I hope). Granted they are a target but should hopefully be able to smash a few things before they die.

Comments and Criticism welcomed.

Chexmix282
10-15-2013, 10:21 AM
Unfortunately you cannot take allies if you have two detachments from your primary army. Also you do not have enough Troop choices for a second primary detachment (you need 2 troop and 1 HQ per primary FOC).

The Dark Angels do not add much to your army anyway, I would just take 2 detachments of Iron Hands. More guns = more win.

I would take something like:

Chapter Master (as above)

Master of the Forge

2x5 Tacticals with Flamer/Combi-Flamer in Las/Plas Razorback

2x5 Tacticals with Melta/Combi-Melta in Las/Plas Razorback

5 Bikes with Meltas or Plasmas (to ride with the Chapter Master)

4x Autocannon/Las Predator

2x Stalker

Skyshield

That should be right around the 2k mark; I don't have my codex on me.

rxcky
10-15-2013, 11:08 AM
Balls, I knew there was a reason I had an extra tactical squad in there the first time I did this list, totally forgot about that. I can take the allies though, as long as I meet the minimum primary requirements, would just need to find a way to squeeze another tactical in there. Looks like they will have to go for now though, will change to this:

Iron Hands:

HQ.
Captain.
Bike/Burning Blade/Artificer/Storm Shield = 200

Master Of Forge.
1xServitor = 100

Techmarine on Bike
Auspex = 75

Techmarine
servo harness = 75

Command Squad
Bikes/Champ/Apothicary/4xGrav or Plasma = 225

Skyshield = 75

Troops.
Tactical Squad 5 Man
Grav Gun = 160

Tactical Squad 5 Man
Grav Gun = 160

Tactical Squad 5 Man
Razorback Twin Las Cannon
Grav Gun = 160

Tactical Squad 5 Man
Razorback Twin Las Cannon
Grav Gun = 160

Heavy.
4x Predator Auto Cannon Turret/Las Cannon Sponsons = 460

2x Stalker = 150

Premise is the same, just have to lose the Orbital for now and run a Captain instead, rather annoying that a command squad works out better equipped than an honour guard squad, never mind. Will see how this plays.

Chexmix282
10-15-2013, 12:22 PM
Why do you run Twin-Linked Lascannons over Lascannon/Twin-Linked Plasmagun? Are you planning on never getting within 24" with your Razorbacks?

I really, REALLY like your list. Very Iron Hands-esque. Looks like it would be a blast to play with and against.

rxcky
10-15-2013, 01:17 PM
To be honest the troops are there to hold objectives and that's pretty much it. The re-roll on the Las Cannon means those babies will more often than not hit and likely do the damage I want them to do. First few games I don't want to get too close to any one with these guys if I can help it, just park on the objectives and hold. I realize that I am essentially wasting 60 points on the grav guns for the Tactical squads but its going to be a trial and error thing I think. I can see the benefit of the Las and T/L Plasma, I just don't want to miss with these Las Cannons as I dropped the T/L on the Preds I want to make sure these ones hit. Will Run it both ways, points are the same and whichever works best I will stick with.

Now all I need is the Iron Hands Dex to come out and this will all get re-written :)

Chexmix282
10-15-2013, 02:26 PM
Now all I need is the Iron Hands Dex to come out and this will all get re-written :)

I am personally looking forward to taking the Space Marine codex with Iron Hands supplement as allies (or the other way around).

rxcky
10-15-2013, 04:05 PM
I'm just hoping for some characters and some variation in the army that sets it apart from the standard codex, nothing crazy just something that suits the fluff but also makes them seriously competitive as far as tournaments go. The Farsight Enclave book was excellent, stuck to the fluff and gave Tau some really awesome pieces of kit, hopefully we'll get funky relics and cool bonus stuff for the big guns, and at least one character would be nice. Have to say was a bit peeved when the codex came out and of all the first founding the Iron Hands got nothing, seemed lazy at the time but in hindsight makes sense its the first supplement. Fingers crossed for some for something juicy.

Aegwymourn
10-15-2013, 06:52 PM
may have to do a little converting to that to raise the back a bit for the Stalkers to see over the other tanks

I would point out that this is considered modelling for advantage and generally considered a no-no at most tournaments.

Other than that very fluffy and cool list. Nothing crazy overpowered, just some good ol' fashion tanks!

SON OF ROMULOUS
10-15-2013, 07:37 PM
Drop the grav guns and take plasma. grav weapons are really only good on something with a relentless profile ie on bikers or on the ugly termi telly tubby abominations. as for what to do with their points take plasma it threatens just about everything that's not av14.

Now in regards to ac/lc pred's Ive been running them since late in 4th edition when i started i went tri las and have since learned from that mistake. they are just to expensive even with their current point drops they are just not worth their weight. no the AC/LC i am firmly behind. move 6 you can always fire the turret and snap shot with the rest stay stationary and you can fire everything str7 still threatens everything that's not av14 and honestly the extra shot is better then twin linked.

now the twin las on the razor's i'm not against most tout the las plas but i believe it all depend on your role. if you want mixed at then go with straight las if you want an all rounder las plas seems to be the best of both worlds.

rxcky
10-16-2013, 02:32 AM
I would point out that this is considered modelling for advantage and generally considered a no-no at most tournaments.

Other than that very fluffy and cool list. Nothing crazy overpowered, just some good ol' fashion tanks!

Thanks man, Fluffy and reasonably competitive is what I'm going for, as for the skyshield's "changes" cough cough, I wouldn't see me taking this list to a tournament as it would likely get humped, any alteration would be purely for friendly games and to make the skyshield look cool. Folks round here are pretty good with stuff like that, had a guy turn up with a bastion on top of a skyshield the other day, looked ridiculous but was using it as such none the less.

rxcky
10-16-2013, 02:42 AM
Drop the grav guns and take plasma. grav weapons are really only good on something with a relentless profile ie on bikers or on the ugly termi telly tubby abominations. as for what to do with their points take plasma it threatens just about everything that's not av14.

Agreed on the bikes thing, they seem to be pretty lethal on bikes but in the hands of troops they seem to lack the punch that you expect from these weapons. I used to be a big fan of the Sternguard with lots of Combi in a Drop Pod thing and have tried it a couple of times with the Combi-Grav. Even though they get Two shots each it still lacks the punch that I was expecting it to have, and with Sternguard with this load out working out more expensive now they just don't make their points back before getting gubbed. Plasma was what I was thinking, better range and Rapid fire will make them more likely to get used and not be a waste of 60 points.

Now in regards to ac/lc pred's Ive been running them since late in 4th edition when i started i went tri las and have since learned from that mistake. they are just to expensive even with their current point drops they are just not worth their weight. no the AC/LC i am firmly behind. move 6 you can always fire the turret and snap shot with the rest stay stationary and you can fire everything str7 still threatens everything that's not av14 and honestly the extra shot is better then twin linked.

I reckon I can get on board with this, there are enough Las Cannon shots on the table and the difference in points from removing the Las turrets lets me buy another Pred, more or less.

now the twin las on the razor's i'm not against most tout the las plas but i believe it all depend on your role. if you want mixed at then go with straight las if you want an all rounder las plas seems to be the best of both worlds.

This is one of those situational one's I guess, If I want to keep them back I'm gonna go with the T/L, if it's more of a city fight environment I will go with the Las and Plasma, going to try them both and see how they perform.

Cheers

rxcky
10-16-2013, 02:43 AM

Agreed on the bikes thing, they seem to be pretty lethal on bikes but in the hands of troops they seem to lack the punch that you expect from these weapons. I used to be a big fan of the Sternguard with lots of Combi in a Drop Pod thing and have tried it a couple of times with the Combi-Grav. Even though they get Two shots each it still lacks the punch that I was expecting it to have, and with Sternguard with this load out working out more expensive now they just don't make their points back before getting gubbed. Plasma was what I was thinking, better range and Rapid fire will make them more likely to get used and not be a waste of 60 points.

I reckon I can get on board with this, there are enough Las Cannon shots on the table and the difference in points from removing the Las turrets lets me buy another Pred, more or less.

This is one of those situational one's I guess, If I want to keep them back I'm gonna go with the T/L, if it's more of a city fight environment I will go with the Las and Plasma, going to try them both and see how they perform.

Cheers