PDA

View Full Version : Beyond the hobby?

xbenblasterx
10-15-2013, 01:10 AM
Hey guy's I was just after some recommendations of any Film's TV shows or Anime series, that adopt many of the tropes and conevntions that draw me to the lore of 40k, so basically anything that's Dark Gritty and Sci FI!

I've seen Ultramarines.... and like a lot of you wasn't all that impressed.

But I enjoy the Universe of 40K so much I'm just after something that can successfully replicate it :)

All recommendations welcome!

Popsical
10-15-2013, 01:22 AM
The chronicles of riddick is about as close as hollywood gets to 40k.
Starship troopers is guard versus nids.
Disneys the black hole has the steam punk ship designs and is still a fantastic film.

Yep struggling for many more.

Deadlift
10-15-2013, 01:33 AM
Dune, it's not 40k but it's pretty fantastic.

Psychosplodge
10-15-2013, 02:17 AM
Sharpe, It's like Gaunt's ghosts but without the Chaos or sci-fi ,and with more primitive weapons...

Katharon
10-15-2013, 02:27 AM
Dune, Starship Troopers, Halo animation movie, etc.

I'd also recommend playing the Dawn of War games and Space Marine. Really good games, through I preferred DoW I compared with DoW II.

Wolfshade
10-15-2013, 02:48 AM
Sharpe, It's like Gaunt's ghosts but without the Chaos or sci-fi ,and with more primitive weapons...

It has Sean Bean, He does not die

Out on a limb with this suggestion: Event Horizon.

SaveModifier
10-15-2013, 04:33 AM
I came here to suggest Event Horizon too, that film has the Warp in it perfectly.

Skullchewer
10-15-2013, 06:11 AM
The chronicles of riddick is about as close as hollywood gets to 40k.
Starship troopers is guard versus nids.
Disneys the black hole has the steam punk ship designs and is still a fantastic film.

Yep struggling for many more.
Totally agree on all three. The second Riddick movie, with the Necromungers, is very 40K in look and feel.
Starship Troopers the movie is indeed IG Vs Nids, but the original Heinlen novel is pretty much the inspiration for Space Marines.
I had never seen The Black Hole in that light, I suppose it is a bit Steampunky. Great movie with a surprising ending.

Dune, it's not 40k but it's pretty fantastic.
The book, the movie or the mini series? Eh, just get all 3.

That's how I describe the Gaunt series whenever I try to get someone to read it.

I'd say expand your sci-fi reading. I often compare the Tau to the Culture of Iain M Banks sci fi novels.
For games, as well as DoW 1and2, and Space Marine try Starcraft. You'll be surprised how similar it is ;)

Psychosplodge
10-15-2013, 06:15 AM
I think the Tau are too warlike to be compared to the peaceful culture.

Brakkart
10-15-2013, 06:17 AM
Yep I'll add another vote for Event Horizon. Basically it is a film about humanity's first ever warp jump and what happens when you do that without a protective field around the ship! It also has the most gothic engine room ever!

As for Dune, go for the Dune and Children of Dune mini series that were done by the Sci-Fi Channel (back when it actually did Sci-Fi!) as they are much better than the terrible movie.

I can also recommend the movie Outlander which is a sci-fi spin on the origin of the Beowulf story. Just picture it as an Imperial Guardsman and Tyranid crash land on a primitive world and it works brilliantly.

Deadlift
10-15-2013, 06:24 AM
As for Dune, the movies good but I love the books. All of them. Frank Herbert wrote the main series of books and his son finished it off a couple years ago using his fathers notes. His son has also written prequels to the dune books. 3 based around the 3 main houses and then further back again with a series called the Butlarian Jihad. Depending on how fast you read you have a winters worth of material right there.

As for Sharp, I haven't watched the tv series but I have read all the books. Bloody fantastic they are too.

Skullchewer
10-15-2013, 06:27 AM
I think the Tau are too warlike to be compared to the peaceful culture.

The Culture being peaceful is one of the key contradictions of the books.

Yep I'll add another vote for Event Horizon. Basically it is a film about humanity's first ever warp jump and what happens when you do that without a protective field around the ship! It also has the most gothic engine room ever!

As for Dune, go for the Dune and Children of Dune mini series that were done by the Sci-Fi Channel (back when it actually did Sci-Fi!) as they are much better than the terrible movie.

I can also recommend the movie Outlander which is a sci-fi spin on the origin of the Beowulf story. Just picture it as an Imperial Guardsman and Tyranid crash land on a primitive world and it works brilliantly.

See, I enjoyed Lynch's Dune adaptation, and hated Outlander. To each their own.

More movies:
Pandorum (Chaos taking over a ship?)
Mutant Chronicles (Chaos taking over a planet?)
Outland (Imperial mining colony?)
Screamers (IG vs robots?)
The Thing (1982 remake, purely for the hideous warp like monstrosities)
Firefly/Serenity (Rogue traders)
Dredd (The 2012 version, not the awful Stallone crap, though that had a reasonable hive city look. A bit of an Arbites/inquisitor feel)
Hardware (Hive city with a servo skull gone haywire)
Mad Max 1/2/3 (Death world, Gorka Morka, back to a death world).

Oh, and Lord Inquisitor (http://thelordinquisitor.com/) (Maybe)

Psychosplodge
10-15-2013, 06:30 AM
The Culture being peaceful is one of the key contradictions of the books.

They didn't even have any dedicated warships before the Idiran-Culture War

Skullchewer
10-15-2013, 06:32 AM
They didn't even have any dedicated warships before the Idiran-Culture War

Ok. And nobody said they did.... I think you missed my point.

iheartgrimdark
10-15-2013, 06:40 AM
Wasn't Event Horizon originally written as a Warhammer 40k film?

Psychosplodge
10-15-2013, 06:44 AM
Ok. And nobody said they did.... I think you missed my point.

Nah, I'm being deliberately obtuse.

chicop76
10-15-2013, 06:49 AM
Let's see

Their is an Anime based on Star Ship troopers which is really hard to remember. The people inside are in power armour. I seen bits of it due to not being able to find it for free. If you look up Star ship troopers wilki and look up the different versions than you shoukd he able to find it. If not I can look it up later and post it.

Aliens of course is the media which I think inspired 40k since 40k came out not tooo long after this movie. Halo is a very obvious rip off with the black cigar sarge, the soilder that complains, the lcd on the weapons, motion trackers, etc. Funny when I hear aliens games are rip offs of Halo.

Riddick is a very good example as well. Well the movie with the necromongers.

Not to many movies I can think of where races have huge battles between each other. Star Wars and Star Trek are the main ones.

Serenity may be close as well. Like dark eldar vs guard.

Battlestar agalactica might be another. Necrons vs ig or marines vs ig depending on how you look at it.

Skullchewer
10-15-2013, 07:43 AM
Nah, I'm being deliberately obtuse.

Then you'll understand if I just chose to ignore you going forward.

Psychosplodge
10-15-2013, 07:51 AM
Then you'll understand if I just chose to ignore you going forward.

:p There's no need to go that far.

Back to your original point, the Tau are very much join us or die. They certainly aren't written as idealist pacifists in the fiction.
The culture as a rule outside of contact and special circumstances, generally are...

SaveModifier
10-15-2013, 09:40 AM
There is a terrible film I saw on Netflix that was basically a Tau and a Human on a planet, i think it was called Hunter Prey.

but its terrbile. So ignore this.

Deadlift
10-15-2013, 09:52 AM
There is a terrible film I saw on Netflix that was basically a Tau and a Human on a planet, i think it was called Hunter Prey.

Sounds similar to an older flick called Enemy Mine with Dennis Quade and Lou Gosset Jr. However I really enjoyed it, so I hope it's not :D

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RB87kN6UTLg&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DRB87kN6UTLg

sneakyben
10-15-2013, 10:45 AM

It isn't that bad... loooow budget though

Earl Harbinger
10-15-2013, 12:17 PM
In terms of 40K atmosphere I've always thought that Terry Gilliam's Brazil was a nice vision of what life in a hive city would be like.

Aliens is also a lot of fun going with the IG vs 'Nids theme.

SaveModifier
10-15-2013, 12:42 PM
Sounds similar to an older flick called Enemy Mine with Dennis Quade and Lou Gosset Jr. However I really enjoyed it, so I hope it's not :D

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RB87kN6UTLg&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DRB87kN6UTLg

its like Enemy Mine but made in 2010 for about £40.

Mike X
10-15-2013, 08:03 PM
Out on a limb with this suggestion: Event Horizon.

That movie felt very Chaos-y.

I'd also recommend Priest, just because the shots of the human city are exactly what a 40K hive city is like.

The Girl
10-16-2013, 10:58 PM
Wasn't Event Horizon originally written as a Warhammer 40k film?

That is the rumor.

My recs:

Shinzō Ningen Kyashān [anime] and Casshern [live action movie based on the anime]
Predator [1987]
Heavy Metal [1981]

Wolfshade
10-17-2013, 01:37 AM
What about tank girl?

Psychosplodge
10-17-2013, 01:39 AM
tank girl is awesome...

Skullchewer
10-17-2013, 04:20 AM
Ugh, the Tank Girl adaptation was dreadful.
Back to printed sci-fi, I strongly recommend A Canticle for Leibowitz (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Canticle_for_Leibowitz). It isn't action oriented pew pew lazzorz sci-fi. It has some very 40K style themes, with the religious links.

Psychosplodge
10-17-2013, 04:31 AM

I think its one of those where if you're a fan of the existing work you're going to hate it, if you discover tank girl through the film however...

chicop76
10-17-2013, 07:12 AM
That is the rumor.

My recs:

Shinzō Ningen Kyashān [anime] and Casshern [live action movie based on the anime]
Predator [1987]
Heavy Metal [1981]

CASSHERN SINS pissed me off. Although I liked Casshern robot hunter. I want to see the old Casshern tv series though.

I say Angel Cop. Simply space marine vs psyker. Angel Cop is one of my favorites. Must see if you like a bad *** female character.

Black Lagoon is good too. Revy kinda reminds me of Angel from Angel Cop. Thinking about it I would say Revy is nicer, but mory sadistic. Angel would blow your brains out, while Revy would tortue you before she blows your brains out.

Beserk is a good anime as well. More of a fantasy setting.

I like the first season of the Guyver series. The original cartoon. The second series was nit as good and the remake was ok, but got through more of the story.

Fullmetal Alchemist brotherhood was good.

Macross Plus was cool.

Arkhan Land
10-17-2013, 07:33 AM
Back to printed sci-fi, I strongly recommend A Canticle for Leibowitz (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Canticle_for_Leibowitz). It isn't action oriented pew pew lazzorz sci-fi. It has some very 40K style themes, with the religious links.

Canticle is da bomb. Want to add The Deathworld Trilogy to any 40k readers its one of the best deathworld books from early 60s laser and sword scifi-fantasy if you ever a must read for any catachan player.

had a good thread on Warp Shadow for a bit about this ago, also to read is Voyage of the Space Beagle.

Also Im sure some yall have read this but any 40k fan should read all the way through 2000 AD comics at some point in his or her life

Magus
10-17-2013, 09:30 AM
Found on reddit so I'm not familiar with this game, the trailer feels a bit like an Imperial Army officer narrating the outset of the Great Crusade. The aesthetic isn't quite as gothic as 40k but the tropes are there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owdjizoiqVY

Nice drop pods eh?

The Girl
10-17-2013, 09:39 AM
What about tank girl?

Not really. Rebecca would not fit in the Grimdark, nor would Booga. Sisters of Battle are NOT Riot Grrrls. Tank Girl fits more with Animal House/Counter Culture [drugs, sex, punk rock, anti-establishment] than 40K's grandiose marshal themes. Plots involving sodomizing a talking toy koala with bananas, colostomy bag delivery, and a character called "The King of Farts" don't fit, either. It doesn't fulfill the OP's request for dark scifi.

And, yes, the movie is terrible... the costuming wasn't too bad?

xbenblasterx
10-17-2013, 12:15 PM
Predator is an interesting one ha what in the 40k universe would you relate it to? Catcachans?

The Girl
10-17-2013, 01:58 PM
Predator is an interesting one ha what in the 40k universe would you relate it to? Catcachans?

Dutch could totally be Straken [minus the land shark bionic body parts thing] leading a rescue team that gets attacked by genestealers or some other xenos attacker.

DarkLink
10-17-2013, 02:05 PM
Check out Darker than Black and Psycho Pass. Psycho Pass is basically an anime version of Blade Runner with a hint of Minority Report.

Just_Me
10-17-2013, 10:57 PM
Dutch could totally be Straken [minus the land shark bionic body parts thing] leading a rescue team that gets attacked by genestealers or some other xenos attacker.

I think Sergeant "Stonetooth" Harker is pretty clearly Dutch, straight out of the minigun scene in fact!

Not really. Rebecca would not fit in the Grimdark, nor would Booga. Sisters of Battle are NOT Riot Grrrls. Tank Girl fits more with Animal House/Counter Culture [drugs, sex, punk rock, anti-establishment] than 40K's grandiose marshal themes. Plots involving sodomizing a talking toy koala with bananas, colostomy bag delivery, and a character called "The King of Farts" don't fit, either. It doesn't fulfill the OP's request for dark scifi.

And, yes, the movie is terrible... the costuming wasn't too bad?

I actually think the Tank Girl setting gets more at some pf the weird counter-culture themes present "the behind the lines" in 40k, albeit with a more absurdist twist. Hive gangs and crapsack war-worlds or prison worlds rife with internecine conflict like Necromunda and/or Savlar. Consider the "Moody Hammer" hive gangers briefly mentioned in Eisenhorn; punk-esque drug addicted street thugs with massive steroid boosted/implanted muscles and teeth surgically implanted in their tongues apparently "just because."

People have mentioned the Dune series before but its worth noting it again because it was a very clear inspiration for the whole grandly dystopic and technologically incongruous vibe that IS the Imperium of 40k.

Similarly, the Sharpe series has been mentioned and Abnett has pretty clearly stated that it was one of his inspirations for the Ghosts novels. Similar works of historical fiction are often good parallels in my mind for the anachronistic culture of the Imperium as a whole. One of the reasons that the Imperium can be so hard for people to "get" is that they operate from a pre-20th century mindset (alternatively Roman, medieval, Georgian, or Victorian depending on where you are). I like Patrick O'Brien's novels because they really give an inside feel for the aristocratic military structure that I think transplants rather well into 40k, plus naval culture and combat in 40k has some very strong parallels with the golden age of sail.

Finally, I love H.P. Lovecraft and feel that he really gets at the vibe of existential horror that I think underpins the 40k setting; individual human smallness in the face of a vast and terribly uncaring (if not hostile) universe. Depending on the story there are some very Chaos-like themes of sorcery and what happens when humans meddle with unnatural entities and powers, or gets at a Necron/xenos feel of the impossibly ancient and alien.

Of course this is all very personal, what carries over for one person will just not do it for the next.

Skullchewer
10-18-2013, 03:33 AM
Canticle is da bomb. Want to add The Deathworld Trilogy to any 40k readers its one of the best deathworld books from early 60s laser and sword scifi-fantasy if you ever a must read for any catachan player.

had a good thread on Warp Shadow for a bit about this ago, also to read is Voyage of the Space Beagle.

Also Im sure some yall have read this but any 40k fan should read all the way through 2000 AD comics at some point in his or her life

Hell yes! Harrison's Deathworld had a big influence on 40K.
Voyage of the space Beagle was the inspiration for D&D's Displacer Beast.

2000AD beats Marvel and DC hands down, in my opinion.