PDA

View Full Version : I had a good time in a GW store

xbenblasterx
10-13-2013, 12:51 PM
I'm sure many of us have horror stories and many a complaint when it comes to GW and the way they conduct their business, no doubt their models are over priced and the'yre gaming system is extremely unbalanced. Yet today as new person to the hobby of 40k i spent what must have been a good 3 hours in aGW store in the Uk the Cardiiff branch to be exact and I can honestly say I enjoyed myself, the gaming tables and models I used were beautiful and the staff when not trying to sell me something had some generally interesting and useful advice when it came to painting and the rules.

I just thought that maybe we could get some GW lovin'? What other company offers a narrative lore as vast as 40k or Fantasy and a ream of products both digital and physical, the production values on some of there stuff is simply incredible!

Now I can only say this from the perspective of my local gaming community and stores but I can honestly say my local GW will be my regular haunt!

Does anyone else have a good word for GW?

Cap'nSmurfs
10-13-2013, 12:56 PM
Yep! I like my local store, helpful staff, good atmosphere.

burad
10-13-2013, 02:12 PM
When we go to the Bunker we have a good time. The local GW store just closed - which was smaller than the previous, closer, GW local store. The previous GW store we went to was a great store, but it closed when the landlord raised the rent. The next closest GW store - the one that just closed - was way too small and hard to park near. So it's the Bunker. Good store.

Tyrendian
10-13-2013, 02:16 PM
yup my local GW store is quite a nice place as well (except for the usual one or two annoying dudes, but hey that's part of the atmosphere^^) - the staff can't do much about their management after all...

ElectricPaladin
10-13-2013, 02:17 PM
My nearest GW store is about an hour away. It's tiny, with only a couple of terrain tables. If they have events, they don't advertise them. The one time I went there, the staff was polite and engaging and did a good job of intuiting how much interaction I was interested in. If they offered discounts or had some kind of awesome event, I'd be all over it, but since they don't, I prefer...

My FLGS has a half a dozen terrain tables in a half-loft upstairs, overlooking the main store. They have an enormous stock of all sorts of games, and are just as polite and welcoming. Also, they constantly run events, from competitive tournaments to narrative campaigns.

I don't have a problem with my local GW store. I'm just not impressed by it.

YorkNecromancer
10-13-2013, 02:28 PM
Can't stand the hard sales approach; I absolutely despise the way they come over and talk to me. Actively keeps me out of their shops.

I had a mate who worked for GW and explained the whole policy isn't the staff's fault, and that's fine. I just hate it.

Hate it, hate it, hate it.

DrLove42
10-13-2013, 02:36 PM
Can't stand the hard sales approach; I absolutely despise the way they come over and talk to me. Actively keeps me out of their shops.

Damn them for making you be social. How dare they try and communicate!

And the cheek of a person who works in a shop trying to do some their job and sell you something!

Kaptain Badrukk
10-13-2013, 02:41 PM

I had a mate who worked for GW and explained the whole policy isn't the staff's fault, and that's fine. I just hate it.

Hate it, hate it, hate it.

I know right, nothing worse than going into a shop and having people try to sell you stuff.

In seriousness though, the hard sell can be slightly annoying. I make a point of getting to know the local staff by talking to them whenever I go in, and as they get to know me and how much interaction I need. I'd be foolish to expect to take part in a social hobby and expect to do it without interacting with people, so I just make do with avoiding the sales thing by befriending people.

Deadlift
10-13-2013, 03:22 PM
Used to love my local GW store. I got on so well with the Manager I offered him a job when he left and he took it. Then I poached the temporary lad that worked there too. The current manager whilst he seems a nice guy he did try and sell my mrs some Beastmen minotaurs when she asked for some terminators I had sent her in for. Not too impressed by that I will be honest. As for GWs mail order service, that's second to none here in the UK. Order on Monday, here by Wednesday. Which is why despite the offer of discounts I don't order my plastic crack from anybody else.

YorkNecromancer
10-13-2013, 04:22 PM

Quite right. I got enough friends. :p

Joking aside, I have no interest in being social with them, or any shopkeep. I find the whole thing excruciatingly awkward.

And the cheek of a person who works in a shop trying to do some their job and sell you something!

I hold salespeople in the same regard as I hold visiting Jehovah's Witness', or a spider crawling across my face. If I could, I would punch them in their faces to get them to leave me alone. They might be trying to sell me something I genuinely want at a knock down price, it doesn't matter. I have a really irrational hatred of salespeople. Like, I can actually feel myself getting angry at just the thought of them. I am fully aware other people don't react or feel like this, that it is a weird reaction, but seriously, mention to me that I might like to buy something (even if you have my best interests at heart) and it just makes me want to hurt you. In spectacularly and definite ways. :mad:

I only get this reaction with sales people. I have no idea why. :confused:

I'd be foolish to expect to take part in a social hobby and expect to do it without interacting with people, so I just make do with avoiding the sales thing by befriending people.

Salespeople aren't people. They're these weird creatures that inhabit shops in the same way trolls inhabit bridges. I don't like 'em, and I don't trust 'em.

There's a reason I shop online...

Pssyche
10-13-2013, 04:44 PM

Perhaps you should consider gaming online, too.
Then they'll never have the opportunity to bother you ever again.

Kaptain Badrukk
10-13-2013, 04:50 PM

Joking aside, I have no interest in being social with them, or any shopkeep. I find the whole thing excruciatingly awkward.

I hold salespeople in the same regard as I hold visiting Jehovah's Witness', or a spider crawling across my face. If I could, I would punch them in their faces to get them to leave me alone. They might be trying to sell me something I genuinely want at a knock down price, it doesn't matter. I have a really irrational hatred of salespeople. Like, I can actually feel myself getting angry at just the thought of them. I am fully aware other people don't react or feel like this, that it is a weird reaction, but seriously, mention to me that I might like to buy something (even if you have my best interests at heart) and it just makes me want to hurt you. In spectacularly and definite ways. :mad:

Salespeople aren't people. They're these weird creatures that inhabit shops in the same way trolls inhabit bridges. I don't like 'em, and I don't trust 'em.

Dude. You need medical help.

Mr Mystery
10-13-2013, 05:30 PM

Yep. This. 100% this.

As a former GW shop worker, nothing makes an otherwise pleasant and rewarding job suck harder than a snooty e-warrior lookin down their nose at you (this bit not aimed at anyone in particular).

Baneblade
10-13-2013, 06:44 PM

What the hell is wrong with you. Do you even realize how hard it is to make it as a salesman? I spent two years of my life as a life insurance agent. Straight from college. It is the hardest job in the world because of people like you. Treating people who are doing their job and trying make a living like dirt makes you worse. I bet you never had to deal with the stress of not knowing your monthly income. A crappy month can screw up everything. There is a saying in sales. Everyday you wake up unemployed.

HsojVvad
10-13-2013, 08:39 PM
I liked my not so local GW store until it moved. Great people, very helpful.

To bad GW closed it down.

The Sovereign
10-13-2013, 10:31 PM
Okay, I have to agree with the folks that hate the hard sale approach. I can't stand being sold to, especially if I let the chap know that I'm fine just perusing the merchandise (I'll likely buy something anyway). Luckily my local GW store manager isn't socially inept, and knows how to talk to people like a human. He has other interests, and often steers the conversation away from plastic army men toward girls, camping, sports, or whatever. Which makes me want to talk about 40K even more. It's almost like brilliant reverse psychology.

However, there's a temp guy there who tried to sell me a tesseract vault for like 20 minutes after I told him I don't play Necrons several times. His answer? "Dude, Apocalypse! You can bring whatever you want in your army!" C'mon, bro. Really?

Psychosplodge
10-14-2013, 03:51 AM

Perhaps you should consider gaming online, too.
Then they'll never have the opportunity to bother you ever again.

Dude. You need medical help.

Maybe he's taking it to the extreme. But I'm with York on this. It's simply an introverts view (and yes IRL I am on that end of the extrovert-introvert spectrum). I like to be left alone when shopping.
I've walked out of shops that have the hard sell and paid more in a shop I'm left alone in before.

When it comes to GW I hate it in an unfamiliar shop, or different staff as I have to have the same canned conversation. I know they're only doing their job, and it probably gets on their tits too ( a couple have said as much before back in the days when used to play instore) but it should only take 60 seconds to buy a book not five mins. That five mins might be the difference between £2.50 and a fiver to park...

Anggul
10-14-2013, 04:07 AM
I don't dislike the staff for being pushy because GW make them do that. I dislike GW for making them embarass themselves by doing so when they would probably rather not. They're just going through the motions because they have to, it's not their fault.

No I don't want another two of that, and no it wouldn't be tactically viable, that's why I only picked up one, but I'll make my excuses and get on with it because I know you don't actually care about how many I buy and you probably know that the 'tactical' advice is terrible, but you're being made to ask, just like you're being made to ask whether I need glue, brushes or a White Dwarf subscription every single time I come in and buy something. I feel sorry for the poor guys, if you ever get to talk to them outside of a professional environment they're mostly pretty cool guys. A lot of them are nice to talk to in-store as well, but of course they do have to do their job as GW want them to do it, i.e tell children what they should buy and convince their parents that's what they should buy.

It's generally quite a pleasant environment either way, you can sit down and paint and have a good chat. Sometimes you need to bite your tongue because someone doesn't know what they're on about, but that's the same in any hobby social situation, so no big deal. I've had some good times in my local, and I always visit to buy new codices because I want them on the release Saturday rather than waiting until the following Monday.

Also it's great to go to GW for painting help. It's free and really helpful, my Tyranids wouldn't be looking nearly as nice without the help from the manager and staff at my local. I find it's the painting and modelling stuff where GW staff really come to the fore and really help, getting you some lovely skills and results, I wish I'd gone to them sooner.

Kaptain Badrukk
10-14-2013, 04:30 AM
I wanna be clear, my comment was not aimed at disliking sales talk, no-one LIKES being hard selled at, it was more the violent urges.
There's a difference between being able to assertively say "not buying thanks" and feeling the urge to perform violent acts.

Wolfshade
10-14-2013, 04:37 AM
If I go into a GW store, I do so at strange times of the day. That way you can get an empty shop, when they ask what do you collect the answer is simple "15k pts of Blood Angels" that stops the hard sell in its tracks. Or it has done for me, maybe try going into a shop with a T-Shirt saying "Ask me about Jesus Christ and the Church of Later Day Saints" and see what happens.

KaiZie
10-14-2013, 05:20 AM
Another weigh-in from an Ex-Staffer.

Here's what it comes down to in my opinion.

Anyone who walks into a GW will recieve the same treatment in that;
A) Everyone is acknowledged and approched
B)Questions will be asked about your hobby - This is the bit where a lot of Staffers push to get answers from you.

The difference is, some staffers can see from taking to someone in the first minute if that person is even remotely interested in talking about their hobby or they want to be left alone. At this point I just went "Cool, well, if you need anything or have any questions just igmme a shout" instead of pushing the person for more info and asking more questions. Most staff members will ignore the socials cues because that's what the book says to do and push on and hope for the best.

I personally can't stand Warhammer World because it's like wave after wave. You beat one away and another comes at ya, but that's because they are being watched by the all seeing eye.

So where do I stand in the middle of all this?

My closest store recently got a new manager. Now, i don't go into GW all that often if I can help it, personal reasons from being a Staff member, however the current manager has never acknowledged me as I've gone into the store. On several occasions I'm left waiting 5 minutes for him to even see me let alone serve me while I'm waiting to buy WD. This frustrates me greatly. I think I'm a middle ground dweller in all this. I like that fact the staffer knows I'm there, but at the same time if I want to talk I will, if not, take the hint buddy.

EDIT
So, to answer the poll, it's subjective. GW as a company, No. GW minis, Yes. GW Stores? It's the staff that make them, some are good, some are bad.

Phototoxin
10-14-2013, 06:36 AM
I like my local store and staff. I don't like GW as a whole.

Cap'nSmurfs
10-14-2013, 07:27 AM
The reason you're asked what you're painting/collecting is the same reason I'm constantly asked whether I have/want a Nectar card. They have corporate directives. It's not the people's fault (and you can see that the younger/newer ones are worse at this because they're trying to impress their bosses). Hate the game, not the player.

With that said, I quite like shooting the **** with the local staff. Most of them know me by now so it's pretty fun to talk about what I'm doing, what I'm looking forward to, and so on. I've even given a couple of them painting advice.

KaiZie
10-14-2013, 08:24 AM
The reason you're asked what you're painting/collecting is the same reason I'm constantly asked whether I have/want a Nectar card. They have corporate directives. It's not the people's fault (and you can see that the younger/newer ones are worse at this because they're trying to impress their bosses). Hate the game, not the player.

With that said, I quite like shooting the **** with the local staff. Most of them know me by now so it's pretty fun to talk about what I'm doing, what I'm looking forward to, and so on. I've even given a couple of them painting advice.

I do like seeing the new guys always watching their back for the Big Boss Man. It reminds me of myself when I started, before the curtain was pulled back to reveal all the inner workings of the great white tower.

GW is a strange beast. For new people, it's truely epic service, helping you along every step of the way and giving you everything you could ever need skill-wise to get you going. Sadly, if you've a hobbyist for many years, I'm sure you would have seen the shift away from late night gaming days, and opening gaming, and felt the sting of it if it was your only hobby outlet.

You can't fault GW for looking after the new people, they are what keeps the company rolling. Use beardy, jaded lot will moan all day long but still hand over cashy money for new toys, be it directly to GW or one of it's many independent stockists, and GW knows this. For every person that leaves the hobby, there are 2 bright eyed guys ready to grab a brush, and so they should. The hobby is awesome :D

Denzark
10-14-2013, 09:26 AM
I echo a frustration with the 'pitch' - although the vast majority of staffers, who recognise a vet when they see one, simply give the necessary company questions and then leave you to get on with.

For them what doesn't, I find it quite effective to use the following script:

GW Staffer: 'How are you today?'

Denzark: 'Fine thank'ee young shaver, whatabout you?'

GW Staffer: 'Um, yeah, I'm good. So, what brings you in here today?'

Denzark: 'Just a bit of browse, I may pick up some paint'

GW Staffer: 'Oh right. Are you a collector or just a modeller then?'

Denzark (with an air of mystique) 'A bit of everything really'

GW Staffer: 'So what are you working on at the moment?'

Denzark: 'Some Squats* I've had lying around for years'

GW Staffer: 'Oh. Um, have you seen the new (insert expensive plastic crack here)?

Denzark: 'Yeah, I have, but I don't like it. I think it is a rubbish sculpt and its a nasty xenos that should be brought into the imperial truth through the medium of fire.'

GW Staffer: ' uhhhn - OK well, um, if you need anything just ask..)

*substitute Squats for Zoats, Space Elves, Christmas Marines, Man O'War, Necromunda or anything highly collectable, 20-odd years old and not currently acknowledged by the firm.

Psychosplodge
10-14-2013, 09:31 AM
It does bother me that some of the oldest parts of my collection are older than some of the staff...

KaiZie
10-14-2013, 09:52 AM
It does bother me that some of the oldest parts of my collection are older than some of the staff...

What bothers me is the lack of historical knowledge of the hobby some staffers have. Granted, not everyone has to be all knowing, but I always tried to know a little bit about everything so I could have a conversion about the customers hobby.

Best moment I ever had was helping to cover a store, and chatting to a guy about Warmachine and Hordes, getting the dirtiest of looks from the other staff member, even being taken away from the conversation to get a quiet caution, right before I sold the guy a tonne of paint for his Cryx. I've always found that being able to take to people about what they want to talk about really helps, regardless of the subject matter.

This was partly why me and GW fell out quite quickly. I was never really an Ultramarine, more....Alpha Legion

Wildeybeast
10-14-2013, 02:29 PM
See, maybe my store is the exception, but I don't get the hard sell. The most I get is 'have you got all the glues and paints you need?' Maybe it's because I never go into browse, only when I specifically want to buy something. Whatever, the two guys that run the Derby store do a great job. They are genuinely passionate about the hobby, talk to me like I'm an adult who knows what I'm doing with it, as well as offering some great advice. I converted my own Dark Elf Harpies off the back of something they suggested and they have given me a great idea for some unit fillers for my Wood Elves. I couldn't ask for more. Also, once upon a time, Duncan Rhodes of WD fame used to work in our store.

As others have said, it's a big difference between not liking the policies top brass come up with and not liking the staff on the frontline. Whatever their other faults, GW does a good job at training up their shop staff.

Xenith
10-14-2013, 08:00 PM
Maybe he's taking it to the extreme. But I'm with York on this. It's simply an introverts view (and yes IRL I am on that end of the extrovert-introvert spectrum). I like to be left alone when shopping.
I've walked out of shops that have the hard sell and paid more in a shop I'm left alone in before.

No. Not being able to restrain yourself from wanting to punch someone when they talk to you or try and sell you something isn't introversion, it's psychosis.

Psychosplodge
10-15-2013, 01:34 AM
But he does restrain himself. He didn't say he goes in and punches the staff. It just triggers his fight or flight response.

Chadddada
12-19-2013, 08:46 AM
If it wasn't for my local GW I probably wouldn't have gotten into the hobby. The manager is a super awesome guy who is very dedicated to the hobby and his customers. Unfortunately Sunday is the last day the shop will be open as GW has decided to close the store.