PDA

View Full Version : New from Forgeworld =- R'Varna!

Mr Mystery
10-11-2013, 09:13 AM

A development of the Riptide, the the Tau XV107 R’varna battlesuit sacrifices mobility for heavier armour and increased firepower in the form of two pulse submunition cannon, experimental weapons systems which fire micro-cluster projectiles capable of saturating the target area in a deadly storm of plasma pulses.

The stoic Earth caste of Ke'lshan was almost forced to abandon its plans for developing the R'varna battlesuit due to the monumental cost of these new war engines. Instead Fio'O Ke'lshan Sho'Aun turned to the Ethereal Council's demands for improved stealth and infiltration units, appropriating resources intended for this project to create the initial prototype units under the guise of creating a new Stealth Suit. Renewed Tyranid attacks against the beleaguered sept world of Ke'lshan were to reveal O'Sho'aun's deception to the Council, as the trio of prototype units held back the savage host of organic nightmares that threatened to engulf the Sept's primary city.

TAU XV107 R'VARNA BATTLESUIT £70.00
And here it is (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/New_Stuff/TAU_XV107_R_VARNA_BATTLESUIT.html).

Experimental rules here (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Downloads/Product/PDF/R/Rvarna.pdf)

Brakkart
10-11-2013, 09:18 AM
They have also launched a new bunch of bundle deals including some rather good Death Korps of Krieg bundles.

Forge World Bundles (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Forge__World_Bundles)

Cyaneye
10-11-2013, 09:23 AM
Holy fething gak that thing is terrifying. As a tyranid player, the guns on that sucker scare me a lot...and if he uses his nova reactor, he can fire both guns twice. And if all that wasn't bad enough, it doesn't compete with other riptides for slots

Admittedly this kind of makes me want to play tau

Blusox69
10-11-2013, 09:40 AM
I wonder if the PULSE canon benefits from the Storm of Fire rule and gets 2 shots at half range from an Ethereal :-)

Still going over the rest of the rules.

NERDGASM!!!!

Nabterayl
10-11-2013, 09:52 AM
Is ... that a Riptide next to it?

Blusox69
10-11-2013, 09:55 AM
Is ... that a Riptide next to it?

No, it's an XV9..........unfortunately.

£70 for a Tau Titan would be amazeballs :-)

Houghten
10-11-2013, 11:06 AM
It's a Riptide plus conversion kit... so no, that's not a Riptide next to it. It is, itself, Riptide-sized.

I wish the pulse submunition rifles were even half as good as pulse submunition cannon... also that FW would actually release an XV9 with pulse submunition rifles instead of needing to ruin a perfectly good Shas'o R'alai to get one...

Shotgun Justice
10-11-2013, 11:30 AM
I haven't played against 6th ed Tau yet - on paper these rules make it look ******* hard to kill and with an adaptable gun that doesn't require changing ammo type. OOUCH

Demonus
10-11-2013, 12:17 PM
Hey look more overpowered Tau horray!

Less points than a Wraithknight for 5x better unit.

Exterminatus
10-11-2013, 12:22 PM
Glad I started a Tau army a few months back, this thing is nice :D

chicop76
10-11-2013, 12:45 PM
So if I hit 5 bkkes on average with the pie plates than it can deal 40 strength 7 hits to bikes and here I was worried about white scars.

chicop76
10-11-2013, 12:47 PM
So if I hit 5 bkkes on average with the pie plates than it can deal 40 strength 7 hits to bikes and here I was worried about white scars.

I just realized I can dump 12 strength 8 hits on mcs ane tanks as well. This makes me want to drop broadsides. Sadly you can run 6 riptides now.

Archon Charybdis
10-11-2013, 12:47 PM
Yeah... Normally I'm cool with FW rules but that seems broken as balls.

TheyStoleMyName!
10-11-2013, 01:07 PM
You're telling me! On a 3+ that thing can pump out 4 large blasts doing a minimum of S6 Ap3? And it's balanced against the Wraithknight how?

Demonus
10-11-2013, 01:32 PM
You're telling me! On a 3+ that thing can pump out 4 large blasts doing a minimum of S6 Ap3? And it's balanced against the Wraithknight how?

With a 2+/5++ save base, oh which is 4++ vs shooting for some reason, AND can be 3++ if you really want. Same number of wounds vs the WK, and a t7. Oh also you can add some free models to it, so your IC can join it buffing it further, and dont forget your marker lights can help out its ****ty BS.

And tau players wonder why they are hated more than Necron players now.

MajorWesJanson
10-11-2013, 03:29 PM
Assault is still the easy answer. Compared to the Riptide, it can't overwatch (only blast weapons) and is far slower (no jetpack move) plus it is Tau- so weak WS, I, and no fearless to prevent it getting swept.

jifel
10-11-2013, 03:50 PM
Sweet Hive Mind, that's the cheesiest thing I've seen since... No, that may be it. That thing is F'ing terrifying. Assault whatever, every unit will die by then.

Mr Mystery
10-11-2013, 04:30 PM
Guess I'm the only person who spotted its pretty cack against vehicles then? And 2+ saves.....

daboarder
10-11-2013, 04:48 PM
except its not, read the cluster rules. Any vehicle touched by each blast will suffer 3 S8 hits......holy ****

and it can fire twice, so basically it gets a potential 12 S8 hits on vehicles......

no this thing is ****ed.

Patrick Boyle
10-11-2013, 04:49 PM
Guess I'm the only person who spotted its pretty cack against vehicles then? And 2+ saves.....

I think you might need to reread, in what world is 3 S8 hits, per template that touches one, bad? AV14 might be an issue but not much of one. And terminators at least, being bulky, may still get their 2+, but at 2 to wound and causing double hits they're going to have to make a lot of saves...

Archon Charybdis
10-11-2013, 04:52 PM
Besides, Tau are so strapped for other ways to deal with vehicles and 2+ armor, right?

DarkLink
10-11-2013, 04:55 PM
AV14 might be an issue but not much of one.

You think Str 8 is good against AV14?

And terminators at least, being bulky, may still get their 2+, but at 2 to wound and causing double hits they're going to have to make a lot of saves...

You hit two models with a large blast at most unless you Tank Shock or your opponent deepstruck for some reason. With two blasts, that's four hits, which doubles to 8, which is one dead Terminators. Assuming you don't scatter off the target, which BS3 is prone to do. Not bad, but stick with Fire Warriors.

Nursenick
10-11-2013, 06:39 PM
You think Str 8 is good against AV14?

You hit two models with a large blast at most unless you Tank Shock or your opponent deepstruck for some reason. With two blasts, that's four hits, which doubles to 8, which is one dead Terminators. Assuming you don't scatter off the target, which BS3 is prone to do. Not bad, but stick with Fire Warriors.

Ok, you need to check your large blast because it's damn near impossible to not hit 3 termies with one, at most 5 if they're not careful. So let's say 4 get nipped with a straight on blast. Attach a commander that can twin link it, 3 market lights to make it bs6 and a nava charge for 4 large blasts and you get avg 14 hits x2= 28 hits that wound on 2s at 60 inches. You stick with fire warriors if you want to, it's your funeral. That's same commander can give it tank hunters and get 4 blasts doing 3 hits each to a 14 armor vehicle. That 12 reroll able glances on 6s. That's an average of 3 glances with 4 being no stretch. Get 3 of those monsters on the table and it's a blood bath.

Nursenick
10-11-2013, 06:47 PM
Not to mention that anything with less than a 2+ or a 14 armor has no shot at surviving whatsoever. Bike armies have absolutely zero shot. ZERO.

Uncle Nutsy
10-11-2013, 08:40 PM
Just read through this thread looking for the OP/broken comments.. and boy is the nerdrage flowing.

I think my army will now consist of two of these with Longstrike in his ride now.

You can't spell Taunt without Tau. :D

daboarder
10-11-2013, 08:43 PM
good luck finding a game

Aegwymourn
10-11-2013, 09:15 PM
Ah the delicious nerdrage. Over experimental rules no less. Let the hate flow through you...

I would stop to point out most of the "worst case" scenarios involve passing a 3+ overcharge roll and having 200+ points of support through markerlights/commanders. Which at that point brings you over 500 points of shooting. That is the equivalent to what? Almost 3 helldrakes? On a platform that you can remove fairly easily.

Katharon
10-11-2013, 09:33 PM
Who cares about S8 shots when this thing can pump out Haywire attacks? Or did you guys overlook it's overcharge abilities and focused on its submunition cannon?

Exterminatus
10-11-2013, 11:55 PM
Omg Uncle Nutsy when I read ur comment at the end I lost it... o man... that was funny. :p

Deadlift
10-12-2013, 12:47 AM
Just read through this thread looking for the OP/broken comments.. and boy is the nerdrage flowing.

I think my army will now consist of two of these with Longstrike in his ride now.

You can't spell Taunt without Tau. :D

That's funny :D

However as the nerd rage deepens has anyone recognised these rules are still experimental ?

daboarder
10-12-2013, 12:58 AM
of course, but FW experimental rules are usually so close to the final product that the only difference tends to be one of semantics. As such the experimental rules are only in a sense the rules to use while you wait for a publication to have room for the new unit.

Here's hoping this time they use the experimental rules as an actual experiment as opposed to merely temporary access.

Kirsten
10-12-2013, 03:56 AM
That's funny :D

However as the nerd rage deepens has anyone recognised these rules are still experimental ?

sshh Deadlift don't go bothering the whiners with logic.

Tyrendian
10-12-2013, 04:13 AM
sshh Deadlift don't go bothering the whiners with logic.

yeah they are probably going to make it utterly useless, like they did with Shadow Spectres... *sigh* here's hoping our local Tau player doesn't pick one up until then...

Kirsten
10-12-2013, 04:20 AM
it certainly seems very good right now, I am sure they will get some feedback, playtest some more, and tone it down. For all the people complaining, how many will actually face one any time soon? or ever? the sky hasn't fallen in just yet.

Tyrendian
10-12-2013, 06:55 AM
also, something else I just noticed: if I'm not mistaken, Quad Guns/Icarus count as Artillery - so they'll very likely be mince meat should the R'Varna deign to notice them...

chicop76
10-12-2013, 08:00 AM
Ok, you need to check your large blast because it's damn near impossible to not hit 3 termies with one, at most 5 if they're not careful. So let's say 4 get nipped with a straight on blast. Attach a commander that can twin link it, 3 market lights to make it bs6 and a nava charge for 4 large blasts and you get avg 14 hits x2= 28 hits that wound on 2s at 60 inches. You stick with fire warriors if you want to, it's your funeral. That's same commander can give it tank hunters and get 4 blasts doing 3 hits each to a 14 armor vehicle. That 12 reroll able glances on 6s. That's an average of 3 glances with 4 being no stretch. Get 3 of those monsters on the table and it's a blood bath.

I can see hitting only 2. This comment shows lack of gamming experience, but it is understandable. I personally don't do this due to it can slow the game down a bit. The key is you can be 2" away from another model, which means if you had another model in the middle the other 2 models will be 4" away from each other. The large pie plate is 5" which means to hit 3 models you have to have the middle models base to be 1" or smaller, 1 plus 4 equal 5. Now I know from experience that an average base is one inch. If I add in the fact a terminator base is much bigger than you would not be able to hit 3 if the other two are 2 inches away from each other. Now throw in the unit is at max a 12 man unit he can if he so choose to put them in one straight line. If he has draigo per sae he can do the line like a bird formation like at a 150 degree angel so draigo can be the closest.

Long story short you are only hitting 2. It's even worse with bikes if you move them foward on their sides in a line. If you do that than you will be hitting only one bike with a large pie plate.

Besides slowing down the game, even with the use of the blue two inch ruler. It really kills the games enjoyment. Most people don't play that way and it may cause less players to want to play with you.

Now if I had no time limit in a tournament I would deploy as such.

This is why I don't use small blast at all and rather more shooting than rely on a large pie plate.

DarkLink
10-12-2013, 09:14 AM
Ok, you need to check your large blast because it's damn near impossible to not hit 3 termies with one, at most 5 if they're not careful.

Really? Because it's kind of precisely the opposite. If you have half a brain, you spread out. When you spread out with large base models, it's literally impossible for a large blast to hit more than two models, even if it scatters just right. And I don't mean literally in the figurative sense, I mean literally as in no matter where you physically place the template, you cannot hit more than two guys. Now, sometimes terrain or tank shocks or stuff like that might force you to clump up a little bit more, but Terminators don't usually come in anything more than 5-man squads so that isn't usually a problem.

chicop76
10-12-2013, 09:45 AM
Really? Because it's kind of precisely the opposite. If you have half a brain, you spread out. When you spread out with large base models, it's literally impossible for a large blast to hit more than two models, even if it scatters just right. And I don't mean literally in the figurative sense, I mean literally as in no matter where you physically place the template, you cannot hit more than two guys. Now, sometimes terrain or tank shocks or stuff like that might force you to clump up a little bit more, but Terminators don't usually come in anything more than 5-man squads so that isn't usually a problem.

This is why I miss moving 3 models d6 inches and following up with a flamer unit. That was good times. I wizhed I hax the opportunity to had allied for the 2d6 lash move.

rxcky
10-12-2013, 05:02 PM
Forgive me for chiming in here but I thought the extra hits only apply to Very Bulky and bigger, Terminators are just Bulky so you wouldn't get any more extra hits than normal?

That being said it is pretty sick, I play Tau and they are good enough as it is, this thing is a bit silly, add to the fact that if you make it an Enclave Rip your gonna take the gear that lets you re-roll your Nova charge and your pretty much sorted for the extra goodies it can pump out.

That being said doesn't mean I wont get one mind, awesome figure.

Katharon
10-12-2013, 08:19 PM
Yeah, Terminators aren't Very Bulky -- they're just Bulky. So you would not receive any extra/double wounding against them from the submunitions. This weapon platform seems to be suited to wiping out 3+ armored Marines and dealing with the increase of bike/MC/cavalry/artillery that we see creeping across the table-top. Terminators could just shrug off the ranged attacks and pummel it to death with power fists.

Vangrail
10-12-2013, 09:18 PM
I need to buy one and model it after gundam heavy arms lol sooo much gun.

Dalleron
10-13-2013, 12:33 AM
Pretty gross rules, even if they are "experimental". Double shooting those guns is nuts. And why would you waste marker lights upping it's BS. They're template rules. Go for ignoring cover and you're laughing, until you horrendously scatter.

Alex Aggro
10-13-2013, 09:25 AM
Who cares about S8 shots when this thing can pump out Haywire attacks? Or did you guys overlook it's overcharge abilities and focused on its submunition cannon?

Idk, did you overlook the fact that it doesn't have a jetpack? Or that the haywire attack is only a single pulse per turn? That one is nice in theory, if there's a Dreadnaught right in your face for some reason. But unless it came down right next to you in a drop pod, you'll never get within 6" to use it. You're right, though, dropping 4 S6-8 AP3 pie plates at 60" is worthless compared to a single 6" nova. What was I thinking?

LordGrise
10-14-2013, 06:35 AM
Pretty gross rules, even if they are "experimental". Double shooting those guns is nuts. And why would you waste marker lights upping it's BS. They're template rules. Go for ignoring cover and you're laughing, until you horrendously scatter.

Because when you're spamming your entire fast attack in marker drones in order to ensure you have enough, and you get a good roll, it's a shame to waste those extra markers. Not to mention R'Varna does have those lovely restricted-use shielded missile drones that need a bit of help...

I do wish you could still use markerlights to knock down leadership, though...

GravesDisease
10-15-2013, 04:36 PM
Wooo, it's the first suit to have a decent-sized head!

biffster666
10-15-2013, 09:49 PM
MajorWes has got a good plan, and like their traditional Riptide brothers they are susceptible to Distort, Force Weapons, etc. Like 90% of Tau, pretty much garbage in CC. Lots and lots of nasty shots with a 4++ against shooting attacks and only 20pts more than a stock Wraithknight is not bad though IMO. I'll enjoy wrecking them :D

Katharon
10-15-2013, 10:23 PM
It would be so easy to walk into a squadron of vehicles, dump out the haywire, blast a few guns, and then attack in close combat and massacre what didn't already die. These things are pretty tough and have nifty rules.

chicop76
10-15-2013, 10:45 PM
It would be so easy to walk into a squadron of vehicles, dump out the haywire, blast a few guns, and then attack in close combat and massacre what didn't already die. These things are pretty tough and have nifty rules.

I just want to point out unless you can tie it in combat or kill a MC with T7 in combat I would avoid getting in combat with that thing. I have assaulted with a regular riptide and have won games by doing so. Throw in the fact that this one have an area attack and flichette discharger it may give swarms like nids some pause. It can kill 7 gaunts from them just assaulting it and 8 ?more when it does the strength 8 area attack, that is easily half a gaunt squad right there, so I wouldn't underestimate the anti horde protection and the fact it is immune to strength 3 attacks.

Tyrendian
10-16-2013, 02:30 AM

you do realize the Nova Reactor is used at the start of your movement phase? so no "walking into a squadron and dumping out the haywire" - they will hardly be dumb enough to cuddle your R'Varna. Only real use against vehicles would be against a walker assaulting you - and then you're usually in trouble already...

chicop76
10-16-2013, 05:06 AM
you do realize the Nova Reactor is used at the start of your movement phase? so no "walking into a squadron and dumping out the haywire" - they will hardly be dumb enough to cuddle your R'Varna. Only real use against vehicles would be against a walker assaulting you - and then you're usually in trouble already...

Interesting enough I seen riptides do pretty well in combat against walkers. Unless the walker have a ws of 5 or higher and have like a decent amount of attacks the walker should avoid combat with a riptide anyway, especially if that +3 invulnerable save is up.

Defenestratus
10-16-2013, 11:52 AM
...but the warp hunter HAD to be nerfed!!!!!!!!

/s