PDA

View Full Version : Interview with The Isotope (99)

Chuck Williams
10-10-2013, 02:36 PM
Sorry if this is a little spammy... I did an interview with local conversion and painting heart-throb Isotope99.

I thought you guys might enjoy it. Mods, if this violates a rule or is in poor taste, feel free to set me on fire. :)

excerpt (added by admin as an example of how to best handle these things)

Yeah buddy! I got a chance to sit down with (figuratively) Bell of Lost Souls’ master converter Isotope99. I asked some of your questions, and some of my own. I hope you guys enjoy this! Feel free to comment/ask more questions!

The Big Mek: OK, lets start with an easy one. What’s your name?

Isotope99: Phil, but you’ll mostly find my stuff under isotope99 (don’t ask me why I’ve just been using it for ages).

TBM: Do you have a Facebook Page and Twitter for your art?

I99: I don’t, I mostly upload to Bell of Lost Souls as it’s easier to manage. One day I may set up a blog of my very own, but I haven’t gotten round to it yet.

TBM: Do you use third party parts, or just GW?

I99: Pretty much just GW. I like to play at the official events at their UK HQ so I tend to stick with standard parts. Plus I’ve gotten used to working with their plastic.

TBM: If you use third party parts, which companies do you recommend?

I99: Machinator, from Blood and Skulls Industry does some impressively crisp tank parts but I mostly stick to GW.

TBM: It looks like you have a huge collection of Rogue Trader era art. Where else do you get your inspiration for your work?

I99: Sometimes the novels, probably indirectly from some video games and films, mostly out of my imagination (at least I like to think so). I do a lot of rough sketches before starting that sometimes suggest poses and parts that I might use. Sometimes it’s just rummaging through my various bitz boxes and putting aside useful potential parts.

Read the rest here (http://bigmek.net/an-interview-with-the-isotope/)

Bigred
10-11-2013, 09:48 AM
painting heart-throb Isotope99

Isotope, how do you keep the throngs of teen-girl fans away!?

isotope99
10-11-2013, 11:06 AM
Isotope, how do you keep the throngs of teen-girl fans away!?

I don't know but however I do it, I'm damnably good at it.

daboarder
10-11-2013, 04:43 PM
got a better one, HOW DO YOU AFFORD THIS!

Machinator
10-11-2013, 05:43 PM
Thanks for the free plug :D

dwez
10-12-2013, 07:00 AM
I do think it's worth setting up a blog isotope99. I know it can be a lot of work but when I started out with mine it was manageable because I had a years worth of painting step-by-step photographs and you can schedule them to post whenever you want. You've already got the content and the text here on BoLS, it's only a copy/paste away from possibility. Having them all in one place with each of your armies grouped and displayed would be awesome.

Cpt Codpiece
10-12-2013, 08:11 AM
got a better one, HOW DO YOU AFFORD THIS!

THIS!
the sanguinius and kabanda set up must have been close to £400 alone.

but we all get a little giddy inside when we see a new isotope99 pic in the feed LOL

isotope99
10-12-2013, 09:06 AM
I am fortunate enough to have a well paying so my hobby budget is fairly large but there's also lots of synergy between different projects and I keep pretty much everything in my bits boxes. The cost of the diorama was c. £250 because I had lots of the little pieces already.

I also used the leftover phoenix parts in my wraithknight and the honoured imperium statue for my daemon prince.

The blog thing is more the hassle of reading up on how to set one up rather than having enough material to post.

Chuck Williams
11-01-2013, 01:55 PM
The blog thing is more the hassle of reading up on how to set one up rather than having enough material to post.

I'll give you full author access to my blog, you can post whenever you want. Or just send me pictures and a blurb and then I will gush all over it like a rabid fanboy and fellow worshipper of the Blood God should.