PDA

View Full Version : Getting to grips with - Orcs and Goblins.

Mr Mystery
10-09-2013, 03:04 PM
Welcome to the first in what is intended to be a sort of crash course of the pros and cons, ups and downs of the various armies of the Warhammer World!

Please note that these topics are not intended to be a strategic guide, nor are they intended to be conclusive. What I'm aiming for is simply a rough guide to what a new player, either to the system or the army in question might expect from the race covered. And, assuming my army book collection is in the correct order (99% sure it is!), these should be in the same order as their 8th Edition release......

Therefore, Orcs and Gobbos are my first port of call! I shall kick off with a brief summary of the army, then it's army wide special rules!

So, Orcs and Gobbos - What are they?

Put short. Trouble. To me, they represent all that is fun about Warhammer. As an army, they're unpredictable. Whether it's their army special rules, or their more exotic units, no two games with the green menace are likely to be the same! And I would argue, depending on your preference, it's really two armies in one. A pure Orc, or otherwise Orc heavy army, depends on getting up close, personal, and giving the enemy a good taste of boot leather. Pure Gobbo or otherwise Gobbo heavy armies tend to be a bit sneakier, with various nasty surprises, and a decent bit of artillery. Any given build will have it's main strength, and you should find a mix to please you! A common trait regardless is that an Orc and Gobbo army will feature plus sized units of belligerence and general green skinned unpleasantness!

The army wide special rules really set this in stone. First and foremost is Animosity. This is a compulsory test for pretty much all units, unless they number less than 5 models, which barring Artillery, is ridiculously rare in an Orc and Gobbo army, even toward the end game! You simply roll a D6. 2+, and all is good. The unit is about as well behaved as a greenskin can manage this turn, and acts normally. On a 1, you roll on the animosity chart. Two of the three results are pretty useful, resulting in either a compulsory charge, or free movement followed by a compulsory charge. Suffice to say, play Orcs and Gobbos for a bit, and you can soon mitigate the downsides here (like charging something really, really hard which will chop you into tiny little splotchy bits). Worst result? They throw stuff at a nearby unit also subject to animosity, who retaliate. Minor damage potential against each other, but they can't do anything else that turn. Don't worry, you'll soon get used to the squabbles!

Choppas. These separate the Boyz from the Gobbos! Any unit with this rule has +1 strength in the first round of any combat, in addition to any bonuses from elsewhere (such as magic or weapons). Naturally, this is the Orc only, and not anything he happens to be riding! A nice little bonus which sets out the stall nice and early, showing Orcs to be a combat heavy army!

Big 'Uns. A 'one per army' upgrade to Boyz. Can make units really, really 'orrible, as it gives +1S, which of course stacks with Choppas. S5 infantry? Yep!

Size Matters. Orcs just laugh when Gobbos run away (it's expected). Giants laugh when Orcs run away. Everyone laughs when Snotlings run away! Fleeing units of any smaller greenskin don't cause panic. This may not seem especially win, but with careful deployment, in certain builds it helps to mitigate the Greenskins less than awesome Ld, and subsequent risk of mass panic in your lines!

Fear Elves. Oh, the poor little Gobbos! They don't like Elves. Too skinny, and to quote they stink funny. Really not too much to worry about, as a failed Fear test just means you're WS1, instead of WS2..... Although not as bad as it might seem, it can still be a pain (usually means you'll be hitting on a 5+ instead of 4+...)

And that's that for the army special rules! Definitely characterful than overpowering. Again, this compliments the tone of the Orcs and Goblins nicely.

Now for broad brushstrokes to illustrate the sorts of units available to you!

Common or (hopefully not your) Garden Orcs. They're tough! They have Choppas! They're quite reasonably priced points wise! Nothing otherwise special about them. A solid choice in any O&G army!

Savage Orcs. These are like your more Common Orc, except utterly, utterly bonkers. These are a genuine grinding unit. They've got Choppas, naturally. Two of them, unusually. Oh, and they have Frenzy. So on your basic Savage Orc, that's 3 attacks each. That's not especially pleasant! Bump them up to Big'uns, and a unit of them can seriously bring the pain. They also have a 6+ Ward Save, which is more useful than really dependable. Personally, my fave type of Orc!

Black Orcs. No animosity. Immune to Psychology. Literally Armed To Da Teef (they can pick and choose their weapons at the start of a combat), and benefit from Choppas as well....+3S on Great Weapons...that 'urts! A lot! Well armoured, decent stats. A really good unit to centre your battleline!

Common or Garden Goblins. They're small! They're weedy! They're cheap, cheerful and ridiculously numerous! Pretty good for bulking out a battleline. Can also have Nasty Skulkers hidden in them. Which are essentially Gobbo Assassins. Whilst not massively powerful, these dirty fighters do get killing blow and always strikes first. With a smidge of luck, really hard enemy character can cop a dagger to the danglies, and be off the field before they know what hit them. Plus, being Gobbos, even if the character does know what hit them, they're unlikely to ever admit to it!

Night Goblins. Next to Snotling bases, probably the weediest troops available to you in a straight up fight, but also the sneakiest! Can be upgraded with Netters, which can reduce enemy strength, or yours if you roll badly. Can also have the frankly infamous Fanatics. Drug crazed Goblin loonies, the merest hint of which will send your opponent into a cold sweat!

All varieties, except Black Orcs can field bow troops. With distinctly average BS, they're more useful than deadly. But never underestimate the general usefulness of dropping a rank of incoming enemy units! And yep, as cheap as you'd expect from Orcs and Gobbos!

And that sums up your infantry!

Cavalry next...

Orc Cavalry is there simply to charge, and hit stuff really hard. Savage Orc ones offer more attacks (only Cavalry in the game which can benefit from two hand weapons). Common Orcs are pretty perfunctory medium Cavalry.

Gobbo Cavalry! Wolfs - Dead fast. Good for flanking the enemy battleline to hit something squishy. Spiders - Yeah they can walk up walls. And the mounts have poison. Both are cheap units!

I'll lump Chariots in here. Boar Chariots? Ded 'itty. Capable of piling into small units and causing a mess. Wolf Chariots? Again, ridiculously fast. Best off in a supporting role though, as they're also pretty fragile!

Artillery now....

Bolt Throwers. Crewed by Gobbos. But cheap. Oh my they are cheap! Seriously, for what you're getting, a solid little choice if you're going down the ranged route. however, downside is they're crewed by Gobbos. And that means unlike other Bolt Throwers, prone to snapping and breaking and killing your poor Gobbo crew!

Rok Lobba. It's a Stone Thrower. Nothing more, nothing less. Does what you expect. Pretty good value to in my opinion!

Doom Diver. Mostly because pinging Gobbos at people is a laugh. They're also pretty accurate, as the ammo can flap it's silly little wings to get back on target. They're pretty useful as well, as S5, no armour saves hurts many, many things in Warhammer!

And now? Now for the mental stuff!

Arachnarok Spider. It's big. Like, size of a house big. Unseemly number of attacks (8!!!), one of which can potentially drop even the biggest monster. It's also got a decent toughness. It's also crewed by Gobbos (no, you can't have it all!). Oh, and it's attacks are poisoned, which is ace cakes against enemy monsters! Can also be upgraded with a Flinger, which lobs spider webs at people. In itself, not exactly killy. But it does give the enemy always strikes last, which has uses all it's own!

Trolls. A Gobbo's best mate! Trolls are Trolls. Hard to kill, and decent in a fight. Plus, if you take a horde (18 of them), they can all vomit on Knights, which is an auto-hitting, S5, no armour save attack. Not much survives being spewed on by 18 Trolls!

Squigs. Just......insane. A firm favourite of Fantasy players! Largely unpredictable, but pretty deadly in a punch up, whether prodded or ridden into battle. Big Borther Mangler Squig is similarly bonkers, but much, much closer to a really big Fanatic.

Snotlings. Awww! Snotlings! They're fun more than anything! But the same can't be said of the Pump Wagon. You can't depend on it. but it has a decent punch for it's points. And bung 'Giant Explodin' Spores' on the front as an upgrade, and it's first set of impact hits ignore armour, which at S4 (or S5 if you've invested in the Spiky Roller) can prove a deeply unwelcome surprise for your opponent (Chaos Knights....fnarr!).

Giants. The Big Fella! He's Stubborn! He's well big! He might do something useful! For me, best off against enemy monsters, where they can do serious, serious damage! Not quite as useful against Infantry.

Special Characters.

Decent variety. More about helping your theme than winning the battle. Except Grimgor. Grimgor is frankly nuts hard.

Magic!

One of the best bits of Warhammer if you ask me! Two Lores only though, as Orcs and Gobbos don't use normal magic.... Big Waaagh! for Orcs, Little Waagh! for Gobbos. Big Waaagh! is predominantly direct damage, with some augment for your own troops or caster. Spell of the The Little Waaagh!, just like their casters, are far sneakier. It's mostly augments and hexes. Nothing massively powerful in itself, but extremely useful if timed right!

And there you have it! A brief, succinct rundown of what Orcs and Gobbos are about. In summary, a fairly jack of all trades army, with a leaning towards HTH related violence! As promised, no conclusions drawn, as I'll leave that to the would-be Warboss! Hope you've found this rundown useful. All feedback is welcome!

Kirsten
10-09-2013, 04:02 PM
good summary

I often think of starting Orcs and Goblins, but then I can never decide what flavour. it varies between being pure goblins, to forest goblins and savage orcs, to grimgor's ard boys style.

King Chud
10-09-2013, 09:40 PM
You have summed up orcs and goblins nicely, however O&G suffer from the same problem Chaos Beastmen have, a lack of armor. Your strength 4 units are limited to one round of melee, black orcs, and big 'uns.

I have seen Night Goblins played with Snarsick (sic) and gobbla and have been outdeployed many a time with my VC, only to face off a horde of artillery in front of me. You can come with the dirty tricks, and play them all. It works, but I wonder how often it works against heavy armored foes.

With Empire and HE allowed to have calvary units as core choices with 2+ armor or better, not to mention the problems of facing steam tanks, O&G is just breaking their teeth over heavy armor. What kind of list would you come up with if you are a generic O&G player who faces Warriors of Chaos most of the time? Granted, I don't play O&G, nor have I seen a competent build to face WoC. How would you go about it?

Welcome to the first in what is intended to be a sort of crash course of the pros and cons, ups and downs of the various armies of the Warhammer World!

Please note that these topics are not intended to be a strategic guide, nor are they intended to be conclusive. What I'm aiming for is simply a rough guide to what a new player, either to the system or the army in question might expect from the race covered. And, assuming my army book collection is in the correct order (99% sure it is!), these should be in the same order as their 8th Edition release......

Therefore, Orcs and Gobbos are my first port of call! I shall kick off with a brief summary of the army, then it's army wide special rules!

So, Orcs and Gobbos - What are they?

Put short. Trouble. To me, they represent all that is fun about Warhammer. As an army, they're unpredictable. Whether it's their army special rules, or their more exotic units, no two games with the green menace are likely to be the same! And I would argue, depending on your preference, it's really two armies in one. A pure Orc, or otherwise Orc heavy army, depends on getting up close, personal, and giving the enemy a good taste of boot leather. Pure Gobbo or otherwise Gobbo heavy armies tend to be a bit sneakier, with various nasty surprises, and a decent bit of artillery. Any given build will have it's main strength, and you should find a mix to please you! A common trait regardless is that an Orc and Gobbo army will feature plus sized units of belligerence and general green skinned unpleasantness!

The army wide special rules really set this in stone. First and foremost is Animosity. This is a compulsory test for pretty much all units, unless they number less than 5 models, which barring Artillery, is ridiculously rare in an Orc and Gobbo army, even toward the end game! You simply roll a D6. 2+, and all is good. The unit is about as well behaved as a greenskin can manage this turn, and acts normally. On a 1, you roll on the animosity chart. Two of the three results are pretty useful, resulting in either a compulsory charge, or free movement followed by a compulsory charge. Suffice to say, play Orcs and Gobbos for a bit, and you can soon mitigate the downsides here (like charging something really, really hard which will chop you into tiny little splotchy bits). Worst result? They throw stuff at a nearby unit also subject to animosity, who retaliate. Minor damage potential against each other, but they can't do anything else that turn. Don't worry, you'll soon get used to the squabbles!

Choppas. These separate the Boyz from the Gobbos! Any unit with this rule has +1 strength in the first round of any combat, in addition to any bonuses from elsewhere (such as magic or weapons). Naturally, this is the Orc only, and not anything he happens to be riding! A nice little bonus which sets out the stall nice and early, showing Orcs to be a combat heavy army!

Big 'Uns. A 'one per army' upgrade to Boyz. Can make units really, really 'orrible, as it gives +1S, which of course stacks with Choppas. S5 infantry? Yep!

Size Matters. Orcs just laugh when Gobbos run away (it's expected). Giants laugh when Orcs run away. Everyone laughs when Snotlings run away! Fleeing units of any smaller greenskin don't cause panic. This may not seem especially win, but with careful deployment, in certain builds it helps to mitigate the Greenskins less than awesome Ld, and subsequent risk of mass panic in your lines!

Fear Elves. Oh, the poor little Gobbos! They don't like Elves. Too skinny, and to quote they stink funny. Really not too much to worry about, as a failed Fear test just means you're WS1, instead of WS2..... Although not as bad as it might seem, it can still be a pain (usually means you'll be hitting on a 5+ instead of 4+...)

And that's that for the army special rules! Definitely characterful than overpowering. Again, this compliments the tone of the Orcs and Goblins nicely.

Now for broad brushstrokes to illustrate the sorts of units available to you!

Common or (hopefully not your) Garden Orcs. They're tough! They have Choppas! They're quite reasonably priced points wise! Nothing otherwise special about them. A solid choice in any O&G army!

Savage Orcs. These are like your more Common Orc, except utterly, utterly bonkers. These are a genuine grinding unit. They've got Choppas, naturally. Two of them, unusually. Oh, and they have Frenzy. So on your basic Savage Orc, that's 3 attacks each. That's not especially pleasant! Bump them up to Big'uns, and a unit of them can seriously bring the pain. They also have a 6+ Ward Save, which is more useful than really dependable. Personally, my fave type of Orc!

Black Orcs. No animosity. Immune to Psychology. Literally Armed To Da Teef (they can pick and choose their weapons at the start of a combat), and benefit from Choppas as well....+3S on Great Weapons...that 'urts! A lot! Well armoured, decent stats. A really good unit to centre your battleline!

Common or Garden Goblins. They're small! They're weedy! They're cheap, cheerful and ridiculously numerous! Pretty good for bulking out a battleline. Can also have Nasty Skulkers hidden in them. Which are essentially Gobbo Assassins. Whilst not massively powerful, these dirty fighters do get killing blow and always strikes first. With a smidge of luck, really hard enemy character can cop a dagger to the danglies, and be off the field before they know what hit them. Plus, being Gobbos, even if the character does know what hit them, they're unlikely to ever admit to it!

Night Goblins. Next to Snotling bases, probably the weediest troops available to you in a straight up fight, but also the sneakiest! Can be upgraded with Netters, which can reduce enemy strength, or yours if you roll badly. Can also have the frankly infamous Fanatics. Drug crazed Goblin loonies, the merest hint of which will send your opponent into a cold sweat!

All varieties, except Black Orcs can field bow troops. With distinctly average BS, they're more useful than deadly. But never underestimate the general usefulness of dropping a rank of incoming enemy units! And yep, as cheap as you'd expect from Orcs and Gobbos!

And that sums up your infantry!

Cavalry next...

Orc Cavalry is there simply to charge, and hit stuff really hard. Savage Orc ones offer more attacks (only Cavalry in the game which can benefit from two hand weapons). Common Orcs are pretty perfunctory medium Cavalry.

Gobbo Cavalry! Wolfs - Dead fast. Good for flanking the enemy battleline to hit something squishy. Spiders - Yeah they can walk up walls. And the mounts have poison. Both are cheap units!

I'll lump Chariots in here. Boar Chariots? Ded 'itty. Capable of piling into small units and causing a mess. Wolf Chariots? Again, ridiculously fast. Best off in a supporting role though, as they're also pretty fragile!

Artillery now....

Bolt Throwers. Crewed by Gobbos. But cheap. Oh my they are cheap! Seriously, for what you're getting, a solid little choice if you're going down the ranged route. however, downside is they're crewed by Gobbos. And that means unlike other Bolt Throwers, prone to snapping and breaking and killing your poor Gobbo crew!

Rok Lobba. It's a Stone Thrower. Nothing more, nothing less. Does what you expect. Pretty good value to in my opinion!

Doom Diver. Mostly because pinging Gobbos at people is a laugh. They're also pretty accurate, as the ammo can flap it's silly little wings to get back on target. They're pretty useful as well, as S5, no armour saves hurts many, many things in Warhammer!

And now? Now for the mental stuff!

Arachnarok Spider. It's big. Like, size of a house big. Unseemly number of attacks (8!!!), one of which can potentially drop even the biggest monster. It's also got a decent toughness. It's also crewed by Gobbos (no, you can't have it all!). Oh, and it's attacks are poisoned, which is ace cakes against enemy monsters! Can also be upgraded with a Flinger, which lobs spider webs at people. In itself, not exactly killy. But it does give the enemy always strikes last, which has uses all it's own!

Trolls. A Gobbo's best mate! Trolls are Trolls. Hard to kill, and decent in a fight. Plus, if you take a horde (18 of them), they can all vomit on Knights, which is an auto-hitting, S5, no armour save attack. Not much survives being spewed on by 18 Trolls!

Squigs. Just......insane. A firm favourite of Fantasy players! Largely unpredictable, but pretty deadly in a punch up, whether prodded or ridden into battle. Big Borther Mangler Squig is similarly bonkers, but much, much closer to a really big Fanatic.

Snotlings. Awww! Snotlings! They're fun more than anything! But the same can't be said of the Pump Wagon. You can't depend on it. but it has a decent punch for it's points. And bung 'Giant Explodin' Spores' on the front as an upgrade, and it's first set of impact hits ignore armour, which at S4 (or S5 if you've invested in the Spiky Roller) can prove a deeply unwelcome surprise for your opponent (Chaos Knights....fnarr!).

Giants. The Big Fella! He's Stubborn! He's well big! He might do something useful! For me, best off against enemy monsters, where they can do serious, serious damage! Not quite as useful against Infantry.

Special Characters.

Decent variety. More about helping your theme than winning the battle. Except Grimgor. Grimgor is frankly nuts hard.

Magic!

One of the best bits of Warhammer if you ask me! Two Lores only though, as Orcs and Gobbos don't use normal magic.... Big Waaagh! for Orcs, Little Waagh! for Gobbos. Big Waaagh! is predominantly direct damage, with some augment for your own troops or caster. Spell of the The Little Waaagh!, just like their casters, are far sneakier. It's mostly augments and hexes. Nothing massively powerful in itself, but extremely useful if timed right!

And there you have it! A brief, succinct rundown of what Orcs and Gobbos are about. In summary, a fairly jack of all trades army, with a leaning towards HTH related violence! As promised, no conclusions drawn, as I'll leave that to the would-be Warboss! Hope you've found this rundown useful. All feedback is welcome!

Morgrim
10-09-2013, 11:11 PM
A good summery, but can I suggest you drastically reduce the number of exclamation marks? It got annoying to read after a few paragraphs. It seems that every second or third sentence had one and so they stopped actually emphasising anything.

Mr Mystery
10-10-2013, 01:18 PM
At the risk of turning this into a tactica type thing, I would go against WoC in the following way....

1. I will outnumber him, and horribly so. This means with some careful deployment, I can give myself a decent chance at receiving any charge, and then piling into them with further units in my next turn. This in it's way is how I feel a horde should fight, using attrition. It's not a master plan, or even remotely perfect, but it's what you have to do!

Due to the low cost of Orcy stuff, you can manage a decent Core battleline, and still pack in some heavy hitting toys, such as Chariots. The other major bonus for Orcs and Gobbos is that most (but by no means all) opponents will struggle to get the steadfast for having more ranks in the combat. This helps to avoid protracted combats, and will dissuade your opponent from attacking piecemeal, or with limited engagement.

Orcs hold and pin the enemy unit, trusting to their Choppas to mess the opponent up a bit. Next turn, if your planning is ok, you can counter charge your opponent. Doesn't need to be in the flank. A Chariot (any type) can bring instant Res to the front. Or even weedy little Gobbos can pull off a sneaky frontal charge without having too many in btb. Their job here isn't to fight, but to provide extra sticky static combat res, and to ideally prevent your opponent being Steadfast.

Ultimately, it really depends on what you've got in your army! Night Gobbos have the ever present Fantatics. They're not especially cheap as an upgrade, but their parent unit is extremely cheap. WoC, or indeed any well armoured enemy is going to be hurt a lot by the Fanatics. Cunning trick I've seen is that as you can send the Fanatics out at an angle of your choosing, you can choose a diagonal angle, giving you a solid chance of parking the little psychopaths right in front of the charging unit.

Regular Gobbos, or a mixed army is likely to have enough artillery to really soften up the enemy before the inevitable combats begin.

And as for the exclamation marks...yeah, I did get kind of carried away! (sorry for the additional one there). Seems it's just my writing style, but I shall be mindful, and curtail it as much as possible :p

I appreciate it's a bit vague, but as said, it's really down to what's in your list. Which I consider to be a real strength of O&G armies. Given the sheer number of combinations, your opponent will have a hard time predicting what he'll face, which helps to avoid paper/scissors/stonehammer.

Hmm. Mass editing! Another distinctly 8th Ed perk is the sheer number of heroes you can squeak into an O&G army. Not only do these bring a decent chunk of muscle (Great Weapons ftw), but also the all important Ld boost. 59 points for a Big Boss with a Great Weapon. That to me is quite the bargain! He's dead 'itty, and dirt cheap as Heroes go. Gobbos get it even better. 39 points for a Gobbo. 34 points for a Night Gobbo. I'll let you do the maths on that one.... :)

Cap'nSmurfs
10-10-2013, 03:14 PM
Great work, thanks! This is my favourite type of guide: I don't want to be told what's GOOD or BAD, I want to be told what things DO so I can make my own decision. This succeeds entertainingly, can't wait for more.

Mr Mystery
10-11-2013, 01:42 AM
I shall endeavour to tackle the next one (Tomb Kings I believe) over the weekend.

Glad people are finding it of use.

Bigred
10-11-2013, 09:59 AM
Starter guides like these are great for newcomers.

There is a high likelyhood that these may end up sticky-ed in the WFB tactics subforum after several are done.

My only suggestion is section headings in large text, so it is easier to digest for readers.

Wall-of-text syndrome is unfortunately a negative on the web. We know, we publish on the frontpage every day.

Mr Mystery
10-11-2013, 10:13 AM
I'll have a format fiddle tomorrow!

Wildeybeast
10-11-2013, 11:54 AM
I know this is your gig Mystery, so it's cool if you say no, but can I have a bash at the Empire when you get to it?

Mr Mystery
10-11-2013, 12:14 PM
I know this is your gig Mystery, so it's cool if you say no, but can I have a bash at the Empire when you get to it?

If you want dude! Happy for this to a community effort.

Cap'nSmurfs
10-11-2013, 12:59 PM
The more the merrier, IMO. Alternative takes and opinions only improve things.

Wildeybeast
10-12-2013, 07:19 PM
Cool beans. I shall do my guide to the empire in due course. :)

Mr Mystery
11-07-2013, 03:27 PM
'Sup Wildeydude! Shameless bump for this one, and just a quick heads up that I hope to have the Ogre Kingdoms gtg up over the weekend, so Empire will follow!

And a reminder to all and sundry, if you want to do a gtg thread, go for it!

Also considering a gtg on Magic, and the application thereof to cover the 8 core lores, which are a sod to fit into army specific ones! Not sure whether to run that a single thread (mmm! Chunky!) or 8 individual ones. As with the armies, if anyone wants to do a gtg on a lore, the floor is yours!

Wildeybeast
11-07-2013, 03:52 PM
I haven't forgotten. Between work and frantically painting for a tourney, it's gone on the back burner a little, but I'm still keen to contribute. However, if you wish to press ahead with it, please do so and I shall chip in with some responses