PDA

View Full Version : Classic Lost 60's dr who episodes rediscovered

Asymmetrical Xeno
10-08-2013, 11:20 AM
If you're a classic fan like me, especially of the 60's era - this is like discovering the Holy Grail :
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-24448063

Didn't think this it true, but since it's now posted on the BBC site I'm officially in "squee mode".

Mr Mystery
10-08-2013, 12:33 PM
Got every story from Pertwee to Smith.

I welcome the new additions to the archive! And just in time for the mass upgrade of my collection from VHS to DVD!

eldargal
10-09-2013, 12:55 AM
This has been being rumoured for months, lot of missing episodes found in South Africa. The full run of Evil of the Daleks was mentioned, so hope that is true.

Mr Mystery
10-09-2013, 01:02 AM
Picked up the Regeneration set on Monday. Old Who is pretty awesome!

And I really hope it's as much as has been rumoured.....

eldargal
10-09-2013, 01:12 AM
I hope so as well. Rumours like this pop up all the time but one of the fansites said this one came from better sources and was unusually specific about a lot of things to do with the 50th anniversary so who knows.

Mr Mystery
10-09-2013, 02:07 AM
True.

Although it had a fraction of the budget, for me it's still a superior early TV sci-fi serial than Star Trek. A triumph of script writing and acting ability over shaky sets and quite often outright silly monsters.

Watching 'The Tenth Planet' last night, I was surprised just how camp the original Cybermen sounded. But the choice to have their mouth simply open when they were speaking kept it quite eerie.

Asymmetrical Xeno
10-09-2013, 04:36 AM
http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2013-10-09/doctor-who-newly-found-classic-episodes-to-launch-on-thursday-says-patrick-troughton-companion

Guessing they are all Troughton ones then. Couldnt care less about the 2005-current series, so having new "old" episodes to watch is more than enough for me :D Hope "iTunes" isnt the only way to download/buy them in digital form though...

oh and the ones with watling and hines are :

The Evil of the Daleks - 1, 3-7
The Abominable Snowmen - 1, 3-6
The Ice Warriors - 2-3
The Enemy of the World - 1, 2, 4-6
The Web of Fear - 2-6
Fury from the Deep - 1-6

Mr Mystery
10-09-2013, 04:51 AM
Just. Want. More.

Though I see some arse on the Radio Times site has decided because he pays his license free, all BBC output should be free to him forever more..... Goon.

Asymmetrical Xeno
10-09-2013, 05:03 AM
Just. Want. More.

Though I see some arse on the Radio Times site has decided because he pays his license free, all BBC output should be free to him forever more..... Goon.

I don't mind paying at all myself, but I do worry itll be restricted to just iTunes. I personally prefer direct downloads as I'm not a fan of "Client software" like Steam ect (I buy all my music on sites like 7Digital and Bandcamp which offer a choice of client software or direct-downloads). That said - it would be neat if they put them on their iPlayer to stream as a way of celebrating the 50th but I'm not going to say they "should" do that.

Mr Mystery
10-09-2013, 05:11 AM
I think the iTunes is just to get them out there, and a disc based release will follow after.

Not sure I'd be tempted by iTunes either, as frankly I have a smidge of OCD, and like to have my property on show, and in order (hence why I now wish to upgrade my hundreds of VHS to DVD. Saves space, looks neater!)

Asymmetrical Xeno
10-09-2013, 05:28 AM
I would probably buy a physical release as well tbh. I consider the Troughton era to be the very best - as it has a certain cosmic-horror otherworldly feeling/atmosphere I've never found in anything before or since. I also think it has the best 2 Dalek stories in Power and Evil.

eldargal
10-09-2013, 05:43 AM
Power only exists in a few short clips and the novelisation yes? Evil has one episode surviving which makes it worse in a way 'cos it piques your interest.

Asymmetrical Xeno
10-09-2013, 06:01 AM
Power only exists in a few short clips and the novelisation yes? Evil has one episode surviving which makes it worse in a way 'cos it piques your interest.

Yep, ep2 exists. And it has a lovely atmosphere and feels truly epic. Has a few clips that still exist too, one is titled "The final end" :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svKXTCEes6o

eldargal
10-09-2013, 06:12 AM
How many final ends have the Daleks had now?:p

Asymmetrical Xeno
10-09-2013, 06:15 AM
How many final ends have the Daleks had now?:p

Back then, it really was meant to be the last ever Dalek story. The NS is especially guilty of "wiping them out for the last time ever" though >.> I wont' get started on that though...

eldargal
10-09-2013, 06:20 AM
Yep. Twice in season one, once in season 2 (bar the cult of Skaro) again in season 3 bar one and it's left ambiguous in season 4. I did like the re-introduction of the coloured 'new paradigm' daleks though, and their subsequent escape. Daleks winning ftw. They had a series case of Worf Effect going for a while.

Mr Mystery
10-09-2013, 06:22 AM
Yep. Twice in season one, once in season 2 (bar the cult of Skaro) again in season 3 bar one and it's left ambiguous in season 4. I did like the re-introduction of the coloured 'new paradigm' daleks though, and their subsequent escape. Daleks winning ftw. They had a series case of Worf Effect going for a while.

Yup.

Much as RTD has my respect and thanks for ressurecting Dr Who, the man himself is not great at producing or writing. Was quite formulaic, and much too much deus ex machina for me. Really enjoyed it after Tennant left though. Matt Smith FTW!

eldargal
10-09-2013, 06:26 AM
He wrote companions better, while I like Amy and Clara a lot they are really shallow compared to Rose, Martha and Donna who even though I didn't particularly care for R&D (hur) clearly had lives outside being a doctors companion.

Mr Mystery
10-09-2013, 06:32 AM
Meh. Rose and Martha are utterly interchangable if you ask me. Martha was a Doctor herself, but that skill was used what, once, with the Hath? And Donna....had her moments, but ruined by Catherine Tate playing her as yet another gobby nightmare, just like most of her 'comedy' characters.

Give me Amy and Clara any day of the week!

But hey, at least they're not Adric.

eldargal
10-09-2013, 06:37 AM
They had very different backgrounds and characters, I liked Martha a lot. Rose wasn't bad, had a lot of character development. I agree about Donna, some truly brilliant moments but just irritating and I'm usually fond of gabby female characters.:p Don't like her comedy though.

Amy and Clara are great, don't misunderstand. But we know next to nothing about them beyond them being companions. Plus the whole Impossible Girl, Girl Who Waited thing is annoying. Those are woman, man.:rolleyes:

Asymmetrical Xeno
10-09-2013, 09:11 AM
I tried watching a little of each of the 3 new doctors but I found them all annoying, especially the writing and incidental music. I do like Russel T Davies as a person though, He has good politics and I admired his passion - as well as how he quit his career to look after his Husband. I like that Capaldi chap though - might be the first new doctor I actually like if they dont make him a "trendy geek" like the last two. I'll probably give him a chance at least.

eldargal
10-09-2013, 09:17 AM
I liked them personally, but I was worried about the 'younger and younger' trend, glad they nipped that in the bud before we ended up with a teenage doctor.:p

Mr Mystery
10-09-2013, 09:41 AM
True. Although Smith carried off the 'massively old, but still young at heart' feel of the Doctor.

Asymmetrical Xeno
10-09-2013, 10:24 AM
I grew up on the "Virgin New Adventures" during tue 90's myself so the 7th doctor is my prefered incarnation. I loved those books best and still consider them better than the vast majority of tv episodes as they were heavily focussed on gallifreyan mythology, and explored their culture and history in more detail - including the earliest time/space experiments and how dangerous they were. There was also some heavy lovecraftian elements which I can't deny I love - like making the great intelligence an aspect of Yog Sothoth. If you can find any copies of those on ebay, I'd grab them.

Asymmetrical Xeno
10-10-2013, 10:04 PM
Nine missing episodes of 1960s Doctor Who have been found at a TV station in Nigeria belonging to Patrick Troughton's era:

The Enemy of the World (1967-68) - episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6 (episode 3 was already in archive)
The Web of Fear (1968) - episodes 1,2,4,5,6 (episode 1 was already in archive - episode 3 still missing)

The find was made by Phillip Morris, director of a company called Television International Enterprises Archive. The latest find means that the number of missing episodes of Doctor Who has dropped from 106 to 97.

eldargal
10-11-2013, 12:20 AM
The press conference also hinted that there were more to be revealed, apparently:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BWOVDQIIgAAsIj9.jpg

Really chuffed, even if this batch didn't include Evil of the Daleks.

Mr Mystery
10-11-2013, 12:29 AM
More Troughton is always welcome!

As yeah, I saw the same FB post. I guess they're holding off for the moment in case some aren't re-masterable. Us Nerds tend to get offended when titilated with toys that don't materialise!

eldargal
10-11-2013, 12:33 AM
That was my assumption too. I'd be very cranky if they announced they had found Evil and or Power of th Daleks and then a few months later said 'sorry, totes not retrievable'. Better this way. Now I'll just be upset if in a few months they say 'we recovered tapes of Evil and or Power of the Daleks but they totes weren't retrievable'.

Asymmetrical Xeno
10-11-2013, 01:53 AM
I've already pre-ordered the DVD's, a decent price as well for a poor ******* like myself :P would be awesome if theres more to come too, but I wont get my hopes up. Fingers crossed for the 2 dalek stories and Fury from the deep though.

"web of fear" is one of my faves and in my top 5 of "most wanted" (I read the target novel as a kid) so itll be amazing to finally watch more than just the first episode. Troughton is my 2nd fave (McCoy being my all-time) so this is the best 50th anniversary present I could hope for :D

FYI, heres the current state of the 2nd doctor era :

Season Four - 1966-67

The Power of the Daleks (0)
The Highlanders (0)
The Underwater Menace (2 of 4)
The Moonbase (2 of 4)
The Macra Terror (0)
The Faceless Ones (2 out of 6)
The Evil of the Daleks (Only ep2)

Season Five - 1967-68

The Tomb of the Cybermen (Complete)
The Abominable Snowmen (1 of 6)
The Ice Warriors (5 of 6)
The Enemy of the World (now Complete)
The Web of Fear (5 of 6)
Fury from the Deep (0)
The Wheel In Space (2 of 6)

Season Six - 1968-69

The Dominators (Complete)
The Mind Robber (Complete)
The Invasion (6 of 8)
The Krotons (Complete)
The Seeds of Death (Complete)
The Space Pirates (1 of 4)
The War Games (Complete)

Mr Mystery
10-11-2013, 01:56 AM
If I read it right, Web of Fear is now a complete story, as the missing episode has been reconstructed yes?

And if everyone could pool their mind bullets and stuff so I can win the Euromillions on a big fat rollover, I would gladly bankroll the animation of every missing serial, on account the BBC kept the soundtrack recordings!

Asymmetrical Xeno
10-11-2013, 02:25 AM
If I read it right, Web of Fear is now a complete story, as the missing episode has been reconstructed yes?

And if everyone could pool their mind bullets and stuff so I can win the Euromillions on a big fat rollover, I would gladly bankroll the animation of every missing serial, on account the BBC kept the soundtrack recordings!

Yeah, episode 3 is still missing, so they made a reconstruction using telesnaps and the audio soundtrack. Audio soundtracks exist for every missing story - because some naughty folks decided to record them back in the 60's XD Personally not a fan of the recons as it's like watching a slide-show with audio, which I find difficult to watch personally, but I guess it's better than nothing eh?

Mr Mystery
10-11-2013, 03:50 AM
Indeed! I've got 'Shada' on VHS, and it's quite odd to watch, but does come with the original script book.

Never did get to the end of it!

Just been pootling around Amazon...and come my 2014 bonus, I should be able to replace my VHS Dr Who Collection with DVDs in one fell swoop! Massive Amamazon order FTW!

eldargal
10-11-2013, 03:52 AM
I hate those reconstructions. They have some animated ones which seem like a good idea, I think if they can't afford to do that even animated stick figures would be better than a slideshow.:rolleyes:

Mr Mystery
10-11-2013, 03:58 AM
It depends on what they have left I guess.

I'd love to see some eccentric millionaire Whovian pay for full re-shoots, and not necessarily using looky-likey actors. Just people who can actually act!

Asymmetrical Xeno
10-11-2013, 08:09 AM
Web Of Fear trailer :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=0-hRRzv2hA8

"itunes exclusive"....grrrrr >.>

Asymmetrical Xeno
10-11-2013, 08:10 AM
Clip from Web Of Fear :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=bSKZvkpy0AI

Did a good job cleaning it up IMO. Looks very crisp. Probably never looked that good on original broadcast either.

Asymmetrical Xeno
10-11-2013, 08:13 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9Kgd8sNJhmU

Asymmetrical Xeno
10-11-2013, 08:14 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ERARlXb_ho0

Psychosplodge
10-11-2013, 08:19 AM
I'm just waiting for the BBC to reveal they've been 419'd...

Mr Mystery
10-11-2013, 08:29 AM
419'd???

Psychosplodge
10-11-2013, 08:30 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigerian_scam

Mr Mystery
10-11-2013, 08:31 AM
Oh I see!

Asymmetrical Xeno
10-30-2013, 05:38 PM
Seems there are more rumours about missing episodes : http://doctorwhoarchive.com/2013/10/28/latest-missing-episodes-rumours/

"Marco Polo will be announced and released before the end of the year. The restoration work, which was problematic and caused it to be delayed after being scheduled alongside Web and Enemy, is complete. Don’t expect it to be announced before November 23 as the BBC will want all eyes on The Day of the Doctor. December’s BFI event could be a potential venue.
The remaining episodes in the hands of TIEA will be staggered releases through 2016 with The Massacre and The Macra Terror following 2013′s Marco Polo in 2014.
Conversely all three stories will be announced in the first half of 2014.
There are still conflicting reports on the origin of the prints, from Zambia, various sources, a TIE distribution hub or even Sierra Leone, there seems to be no one set rumour on this yet Zambia seems the most often mentioned.
The Web of Fear 3 was recovered but was unviable.
The Tenth Planet Episode 4 has been found as have the remaining episodes of The Moonbase and Underwater Menace which could potentially lead to controversy and the discoveries have let to some consternation between departments. This is also the reason The Crusade was never scheduled for animation, it has been discovered.
The Power of the Daleks has been found and will be the final release of the Doctor Who DVD range in 2016 to coincide with the 50th anniversary of Patrick Troughton taking the role.
Conversely, Power has not been recovered and the missing material still in TIEA hands is: Marco Polo (7), The Reign of Terror (2), The Crusade (2), Galaxy 4 (3), The Myth Makers (4), The Massacre (4), The Celestial Toymaker (3), The Savages (4), The Smugglers (4), The Highlanders (4), The Underwater Menace (2), The Moonbase (2), The Macra Terror (4), The Faceless Ones (4), The Abominable Snowmen (5), The Ice Warriors (2), The Wheel in Space (4), The Space Pirates (5). Found at varying locations including Ethiopia, Nigeria and Zambia, however some material may not be in recoverable condition.
The BBC have linked performance of The Web of Fear and Enemy of the World to any future negotiations over material in the hands of TIEA. While the Doctor Who DVD range has sold well, Hartnell and Troughton have been some of the lesser performers, the Aztecs Special Edition fell below expectations and the Corporation were not initially confident that the material had a large enough audience for justification. The performance of Web and Enemy has led to a green light on the return of all Doctor Who material held by Morris. Negotiations continue but will be concluded by 2014, TIEA hold significant other material that the company wish for the BBC to purchase.
The Doctor Who production team in Cardiff were made aware of the finds in the summer of 2012, the inclusion of the Great Intelligence in Series 7 and Mark Gatiss’ lavish reconstruction of Marco Polo in An Adventure in a Time and Space is no coincidence.
The BBC will announce the entire haul of recoveries at once in December.
As always this section is to be taken as rumour, nothing more than that. DWA is offering no comment on the validity or truthfulness of any of these pieces of gossip and as you can see some blatantly contradict one another. We shall let you the reader decide whether any have a ring of truth or all of them are unfounded."

Since the website itself reports that one should take salt with this! but it is interesting and would be amazing if true - the key sentence is So, if the BB C issue a statement in December, then that will be my xmas sorted! :D

incidently, I have watched the web of fear and enemy of the world and enjoyed both very much. The web of fear lived up to my expectations and i found it to be very atmospheric and creepy (the yeti arent creepy, but the web/great intelligence is pretty cosmic-horror/lovecraftian), while the Enemy of the world was a decent action romp stat still stands up today I think. It also had some very strong female characters in it. Basicly, these stories remind me why I don't bother with the new-series whatsoever. Great stuff.