PDA

View Full Version : Heldrake: Is painting before assembling absolutely mandatory?

The Sovereign
10-08-2013, 06:30 AM
I've heard that the heldrake is a pain to paint after it's assembled, but is it really THAT much more difficult? The reason I ask is that I'm new to painting and it will be a while before I have the confidence to paint an impressive (and expensive) centerpiece model like the heldrake, but I'd like to assemble and use it in games sooner rather than later. I'd rather not magnetize, because that's a lot of trouble.

So am I shooting myself in the foot if I assemble it now and paint it later?

Cap'nSmurfs
10-08-2013, 06:42 AM
It's up to you. I like painting things in stages before I put them together, but then painting is probably my favourite part of the hobby and I like getting things looking as good as I can manage. I'm sure it'll be fine if you assemble then paint; if you're comfortable with it, then why should anyone tell you otherwise!

DWest
10-08-2013, 07:12 AM
I have two Heldrakes, and I did just fine assembling completely before painting. Two things to watch out for, in my experience:
-You'll want to do your main color with spray paint/airbrush or the like. The Heldrake is *huge*, like "more surface area than a Land Raider" huge, and brushcoating that monster will take you till sometime in M41.
-If you do plan on doing any drybrushing, make sure you use a brush you don't love, as the Heldrake will do a bad number on brushes with all the spiky bits all over.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

The Sovereign
10-08-2013, 06:55 PM
I have two Heldrakes, and I did just fine assembling completely before painting. Two things to watch out for, in my experience:
-You'll want to do your main color with spray paint/airbrush or the like. The Heldrake is *huge*, like "more surface area than a Land Raider" huge, and brushcoating that monster will take you till sometime in M41.
-If you do plan on doing any drybrushing, make sure you use a brush you don't love, as the Heldrake will do a bad number on brushes with all the spiky bits all over.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

Great, this is just the sort of info I was looking for. Thanks for the advice!