PDA

View Full Version : Red scorpion question?

bombevil
10-07-2013, 05:09 PM
I want to paint my marine as red scorpion, I want to know what is their base coat? Is it codex gray, then black wish, for their armor, and yellow on their chest, I mean the eagle.

Patrick Boyle
10-07-2013, 07:55 PM
I think Skavenblight Dinge would be a closer match to the example minis on forgeworld, but even that's inconsistent, the Red Scorpions dreadnought they have looks almost gray-green rather than straight gray, and then the Red Scorpions Veterans + Sgt Haas kit has them looking almost solid black. I think you'd probably be fine with any dark gray(as in darker than Codex Gray, Codex is much lighter and closer to something like Carcharodons) for the armor, and then yellow for shoulder trim and chest decorations and the like, yeah.

KaiZie
10-08-2013, 02:28 AM
Try this on for size and see how you like it;

Start off with your black undercoat
Armour gets hit with Eshin grey
layer up through Dawnstone and highlight Administratum grey

The yellow can be done 2 ways
1st) The easy way

All yellow areas can be base coated white
Add a layer of Cassandora yellow and highlight white again

OR

2nd) Slightly more time consuming
White Basecoat
Start at Averland sunset
put down a Seraphim sepia wash
build up through the yellows to a dorn yellow spot highlight

Obviously this is just an idea as to what I'd do. The greys can be changed for Skavenblight dinge and stormvermin fur and build up that way instead. It's up to you, but this should be an OK starting point for ya

KaiZie
10-08-2013, 05:31 AM
I would however say as a side note, the first way of doing yellow is very bright (See Iyanden Eldar) where as the second way is more toned down, probably closer to what you're after for your red scorpions

I've used this model here as a rough reference.

KaiZie
10-10-2013, 09:15 AM
Also, have a look at this (http://blog.spikeybits.com/2013/10/beautiful-red-scorpions-armies-on-parade.html) if you want some more ideas