PDA

View Full Version : My first Paint Job!

xbenblasterx
10-07-2013, 02:15 PM
Yup please bask in the glory of the first mini I've ever painted, yes I'm seeking undue praise and reassurance that my poor quality work is good for a first timer, please indulge me internet!

Aside fro this, what do you guys reckon? all tips and hints duley needed!

On another note.

What was your guys first mini you ever painted?

I don't even plan on playing LOTR (who does?) hah I'm actually planning a Grey Knights force but hey we've all go to start somewhere!

Deadlift
10-07-2013, 03:41 PM
Yeah not bad at all. Gimli if I'm not mistaken.

This is your 1st mini so I'm not sure which techniques your familiar with and not, so I will go with what you have shown us and see if we can help you improve. 1st what you painted there is just fine, the colours you used go well together and you took your time with your base. It's tabletop quality. For your 1st attempt I'm impressed.

Now let's see what simple techniques you can use to push further. You have chosen grey knights, awesome choice btw and great to paint. If your going to go with the traditional colour scheme you may want to look at some washes. It's actually very simple to get a good looking grey knight army. I noticed in your pick, you had a can of army painter spray. Now if you want to speed things up, they do a fantastic silver spray which I have used myself. But always have a test model to hand before you spray your knights. I have known people have problems with the army painter primers, coming out too thick and even powdery. Test on a throw away model or sprue 1st. If you don't wish to use the sprays then GWs metallic paints are really very good for a Greyknights. Which ever you decide I would recommend a black primer 1st. GWs is again a good choice. Next washes. You will get a nice result from washing your armour with a pre-made wash, GWs Nulm oil is good, but I prefer secret weapons soft body black. Either way don't do what many do and just slap it all over your model. Paint it into the crevices of the armour for a more detailed less messy look. Don't worry if you get some in the wrong places, you can always touch up after with your silver paint of choice.
Going back to your base of silver, if you decide to brush it on then thin your paint 50/50 with water. Mix well and don't load your brush up with too much paint, less = more control. Afterwards let it dry completely before going in with your wash. Once the wash is dry you could then highlight your armour. One way is to "drybrush" the entire mini with a lighter silver than your original base silver. Drybrushing if your unfamiliar with the technique is to add paint to your brush and then wipe it to a point where if you run the brush over a bit of paper towel only a very small amount of paint will be painted onto the paper. Then you gently brush the entire model so only the raised areas take the lighter paint. I personally don't drybrush, I think if done badly it can make the model look more like a statue. I prefer to edge highlight the areas light would catch. This is painting the silver on edges of the armour in places you think would catch the light, but each to their own ;). Both techniques have their merits. Either should give you a pretty decent result.

Once again though, your dwarf looks great and if you paint your greyknights like that they will look good. But good is that enough :D ?

I'm sorry if I have covered stuff you already know, but if I can help in anyway then feel free to ask. I'm no great painter I admit but if I can help someone avoid the same **** ups I did then that's cool.

I suppose to show I'm not talking out my arse I should show you one of my grey knights. Actually one from space hulk but painted as a greyknight.

http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab3/joenortonjones/IMG_0003-6.jpg

Oh and my 1st mini was a lotr dwarf too, not as good as yours though. In fact he was rather crap.

Wolfshade
10-07-2013, 03:49 PM
My first miniature painted was a lead terminator with assault cannon.

Not looking bad, I know it sounds strnage but the how to paint guides by GW are really good.

Also, airbrushes are the way forward apparently, I keep meaning to get on but still never managed it yet...

lobster-overlord
10-07-2013, 05:48 PM
I used to paint star wars and d&d minis back in the 90s. no where near the quality of sculpts we have today. awesome job for a first mini. you obviously have a steady hand, which is a must. color choice is also key. not garish, and well chosen.

john m.

Vent
10-07-2013, 09:59 PM
Yeah, nice work. You've got good control, and now you just have to play with paint more and more until you get used to it. As for tips and hints; thin your paints, do more layers that are thin rather than one layer that is thick. Paint more. Everything is easier with more and more practice.

Welcome to the world of plastic crack... :D