PDA

View Full Version : Conventions of Deep Strike & Locator Beacon

ElectricPaladin
10-07-2013, 07:59 AM
Here's my quandary, laid out in Spinoza-style points:

1) When a unit Deep Strikes, we begin by laying out a single model in a legal position.
2) Then, we deploy the rest of the unit in a tight circle around him.
3) The Locator Beacon prevents a unit from Deep Striking if it does so within 6'' of the beacon.
4) A unit is "within" a radius if at least one member of the unit is within that radius.

So, here are the questions:
• If I deploy the initial model outside the 6'' radius, but in such a way that one member of the unit will probably be within the radius, will the unit scatter?
• What if I'm wrong? Does that mean having to pick up the entire unit and move it if/when they scatter?
• Since - with premeasuring - we don't really play "Gotcha!" 40k anymore, would it be acceptable to declare the intention - "I'm deploying this unit such that one member will be toe-in the 6'' radius of this locator beacon" - and then "fudge" it if I'm a little off?

THanks for your input.

Kaptain Badrukk
10-07-2013, 08:05 AM
1)I always play that this initial model is the drop, because you have to scatter the initial model and then deploy rather than the other way around.
2)See 3, but if the initial model is out then you scatter.
3)Welcome to the land of pre-measuring man, you just measure 6" from the locator beacon and deploy your first model.

Tynskel
10-07-2013, 08:05 AM
? Locator Beacon prevents scattering if the unit is within 6".

When do you test for scattering? After you place the first model. Not before, not after. *that* is when the Locator Beacon rule is applied.

ElectricPaladin
10-07-2013, 08:08 AM
? Locator Beacon prevents scattering if the unit is within 6".

When do you test for scattering? After you place the first model. Not before, not after. *that* is when the Locator Beacon rule is applied.

So, you'd say that at the point at which you test for scattering, the unit consists of that single model, even though there are nine other models who will presently be deployed?

Kaptain Badrukk
10-07-2013, 08:11 AM
Yes.
Put simply because the rules clearly state that you test to scatter at that point and therefore it's the only time that locator beacon can apply.

DarkLink
10-07-2013, 08:16 AM
I think that's the only way to read it.

Tynskel
10-07-2013, 08:27 AM
So, you'd say that at the point at which you test for scattering, the unit consists of that single model, even though there are nine other models who will presently be deployed?

This is how it works for locator beacons, icons, teleport homers...
anything with this 'attribute'.

Even Dante's 'no scatter' starts with placing down the single model, test for scatter, then place the rest.

Nabterayl
10-07-2013, 09:42 AM
Agreed.

Maelstorm
10-07-2013, 02:35 PM
Concur