PDA

View Full Version : Can Have an Alliance with Myself?

Chris Copeland
10-06-2013, 11:04 AM
Hello All!
I just read the article on the front page of BoLS about armies that ally with themselves and thus break the game. Is that even possible? Ally with yourself? I thought that allies had to come from two different codexes* per the BRB. Please explain it to me. Cheers. Cope

*Yes, I refer to them as "codexes" because GW refers to them as codexes. We're not in Ancient Rome, people! :P

Aegwymourn
10-06-2013, 11:17 AM
Only if your codex specifically allows you to. For example Tau Empire cannot ally with Tau Empire, but can ally with Farsight Enclaves(Tau) due to the supplement specifically allows you to. Same thing with codex Space Marines, it specifically allows you to ally with another detachment from codex Space Marines.

Urtyfang
10-09-2013, 07:26 PM
You can ally with your race via the imperial armor codexes. for example, orks can ally with IA8 orks.

StraightSilver
10-10-2013, 05:08 AM
Yep, basically as above.

Another example is regular IG Codex allying with Krieg or Elysians from IA. Obviously these are variations though as Krieg have a different statline.

I think the only Codex that allows you to ally with exactly the same units from the same Codex is Space marines although they will have different Chapter Tactics.

There is a rumour that 'Nids will be able to ally with themselves in their new Codex (they currently can't) though to open up more FOC slots, but that's just a rumour right now.

Kaptain Badrukk
10-10-2013, 05:10 AM
Oh, and Tyranids can't even ally with themselves.
They have self-loathing issues.

Ravingbantha
10-10-2013, 09:53 AM
Until either GW releases a Hivefleet suppliment codex or FW releases a new IA book with a new Tyranid army list, Nids will have no allies. However if your game is large enough you can run additional primary detachments. If I understand it corretly, for every 1000 points you can have a primary detachment.

Nabterayl
10-10-2013, 10:08 AM
Until either GW releases a Hivefleet suppliment codex or FW releases a new IA book with a new Tyranid army list, Nids will have no allies. However if your game is large enough you can run additional primary detachments. If I understand it corretly, for every 1000 points you can have a primary detachment.
You get another detachment at 2,000. You only ever get two primary detachments, even if you're playing a 500,000 point game, barring some other rule (Apocalypse, etc.).

DWest
10-10-2013, 02:50 PM
Though, if you're playing 4000+, you're pretty much already playing Apoc, so you might as well give over and haul out the Superheavies.