PDA

View Full Version : Spears & Horde

Katharon
10-03-2013, 03:57 AM
Quick question, and correct me if I am wrong, but am I right in assuming that if you have a unit of spearmen five-men across and five deep (for example), that they fight with three ranks because normally you have the front two ranks fighting and then the added third rank due to having spears? And that if you have a unit ten-men across and five deep, that you fight with four ranks, due to spears and the horde fighting special rules?

Cap'nSmurfs
10-03-2013, 04:05 AM
Yep! Unless you're High Elves, who get another rank beyond all that! ;)

Mr Mystery
10-03-2013, 04:24 AM
Yes indeedy do.

Spears are my weapon of choice for 8th Ed. They can be wielded with a shield, and I will take an extra batch of attacks over a 6+ Ward every time!

Though Halberds are very, very naughty in 8th Ed as well, because lots of S4 hurts pretty much anything!

Katharon
10-03-2013, 07:53 AM
Awesome. Now I can feel confident in working out to field two or three 50-man phalanx formations of spearmen...because I'm nuts like that.

Kaptain Badrukk
10-03-2013, 07:57 AM
Awesome. Now I can feel confident in working out to field two or three 50-man phalanx formations of spearmen...because I'm nuts like that.

Sweet! Which race?

Katharon
10-03-2013, 08:00 AM
Sweet! Which race?

Empire all the way. Empire was the first army I collected from GW -- even before Space Marines or Imperial Guard. I even still have a few of those old card board punch out magic cards that listed all the spells and magical items from back in the day.

Once I get everything and paint it up, I'll be sure to post pictures. Especially since I'm using non-GW models for my Fantasy army.

Kaptain Badrukk
10-03-2013, 08:05 AM
In that case remember the wise words of someone who plays empire AND goes to WFB tournys.
Pick whatever the **** you want and enjoy yourself.
Also detachments are the bomb.

Mr Mystery
10-03-2013, 08:30 AM
I agree. Detachments are awesomely cool.

And Halberds work especially well there, as you don't get the 6+ Parry Ward in the flank.....

Katharon
10-03-2013, 08:36 PM
I was thinking of creating handgunner detachments...