PDA

View Full Version : riptide loadout

Grenndal
10-02-2013, 08:21 PM
Hi everyone I was building my first riptide and I was wondering if it was worth the pain to magnetize the heavy weapon arm. I don't see many people use the burst cannon and was wondering if I just haven't bee n paying attention enough or is the Ion Accelerator really the only option?

thanks for your time

Chaoschrist
10-03-2013, 04:07 AM
I guess it depends on what your use is for a Riptide. The Ion Accelerator is a lot better IMO, but I can see some uses on the Burst cannon as well.

Velocity tracker + Burst cannon for glancing flyers to death?

I guess one can do math and see how many hits you can score on average with Heavy 8/12 vs. a Large blast against horde armies. But seeing as 2+ saves are a thing, as well as deepstriking (I'm looking at your terminators) large blast templates take them out pretty effectively (especially with that interceptor upgrade).

Tyrendian
10-03-2013, 05:00 AM
yeah I think Interceptor pie plates are just too good not to take... my friend wants to use the Burst Cannon as well but keeps falling back on the Ion Accelerator too...

MajorWesJanson
10-03-2013, 05:39 AM
Ion Acc having gets hot when overcharged or novacharged is fine, as it is a 1 in 6 chance on a single shot. Odds are once, maybe twice a game.
Gets hot on a Heavy 12 is an average of 2 wounds per turn. Makes it far more dangerous to use in comparison.

Gleipnir
10-03-2013, 12:51 PM
Unless of course you allow for rerolls on all your misses and ignores cover on your Heavy Burst Cannon by attaching an IC with Multi-spectrum Sensor Suite, Command and Control Node, Puretide Engram Neurochip. Also makes that commander signifigantly harder to kill due to majority toughness from the riptide and 2 shielded missile drones.

Tyrendian
10-05-2013, 06:01 AM
Unless of course you allow for rerolls on all your misses and ignores cover on your Heavy Burst Cannon by attaching an IC with Multi-spectrum Sensor Suite, Command and Control Node, Puretide Engram Neurochip. Also makes that commander signifigantly harder to kill due to majority toughness from the riptide and 2 shielded missile drones.

that, and you still have your 2+ against those Gets Hot! wounds

Xenith
10-05-2013, 07:11 AM
I think Tau generally already have enough ways to make a mess of hordes, through fire warriors and burst cannons, kroot and such. A s8 ap2 is something that is very much harder to come by in the army, and shores a definite weakness. Is the heavy burst cannon rending? I would think it would have to be to make it comparable, then overcharging it to 5+ rending.

Gleipnir
10-05-2013, 06:04 PM
Yes nova charged the Heavy Burst Cannon has rending, ultimately the big tradeoff between using Burst Cannon vs Ion Accelerator is twice the hits at half the range at 6 strength rather than 8 and a large blast.

LordGrise
10-05-2013, 06:09 PM
I magnetized mine, and I would strongly suggest everyone else with one does too. The Heavy Burst Cannon (HBC) isn't nearly as bad a self-destruct device once you have the Farsight book; there's an option (Earth Caste something-or-other - I have to wait for the dead tree edition, so I don't have it to hand) that allows to reroll misses, making that Gets Hot! thing negligible.

Not to mention I would expect it to be revised in the next edition - books come and go, the big print giveth while the small print taketh away - but the model is forever, or at least 'til you sell it or throw it against the wall.

Anyone got anything new on the XV107?

Patrick Boyle
10-06-2013, 07:55 PM
I magnetized mine, and I would strongly suggest everyone else with one does too. The Heavy Burst Cannon (HBC) isn't nearly as bad a self-destruct device once you have the Farsight book; there's an option (Earth Caste something-or-other - I have to wait for the dead tree edition, so I don't have it to hand) that allows to reroll misses, making that Gets Hot! thing negligible.

Not to mention I would expect it to be revised in the next edition - books come and go, the big print giveth while the small print taketh away - but the model is forever, or at least 'til you sell it or throw it against the wall.

Anyone got anything new on the XV107?

Earth Caste Pilot Array, I think. It also lets you reroll the nova reactor roll I think? It certainly makes the heavy burst cannon more viable.

chicop76
10-08-2013, 08:52 AM
I would magnitize the arm. For now the ion is better due to being a tank killer, term killer, and your all around killer of most models ot there. However if 7th edition come out an you have a new weapon that is better than the ion than you don't have to worry about chopping off any arms and such.