PDA

View Full Version : Gretchins? Do you use them? If so, how?

Blackcloud6
10-02-2013, 09:14 AM
I have an opportunity to buy 40 Gretchins and two Runtherds. These are the older metal ones. I have a box one the newer plastic ones but have not built them. What are Gretchins for? Are they worth getting?

Wolfshade
10-02-2013, 09:25 AM
I use my grots (gretchins) for sitting on my "home" objective in a huge group, ideally hidden behind terrain. They have a higher BS than their larger Ork brethren so if you want some shooting action, perhaps this is the way forwards.

In large numbers they can be quite the tar pit wrapping up a smaller assault unit for turns upon turns.

Mr Mystery
10-02-2013, 09:27 AM
And never discount their shooting....

They have pop guns, but they have a *lot* of them, for practically no points. Always better to have a crack than not!

Wolfshade
10-02-2013, 09:27 AM
Also very good for forcing grounding tests :)

*pew* *pew* *pew* *pew* *pew* *pew* *pew* *pew* *pew* *pew* *pew* *pew* *pew* *pew* *pew* *pew* *pew* *pew*

Mr Mystery
10-02-2013, 09:58 AM
Also very good for forcing grounding tests :)

*pew* *pew* *pew* *pew* *pew* *pew* *pew* *pew* *pew* *pew* *pew* *pew* *pew* *pew* *pew* *pew* *pew* *pew*

That's very true!!!

And never forget....if anything is going to drop those TH/SS Terminators, you can guarantee it will be your piddliest little peashooters.... True story!

Mr.Pickelz
10-02-2013, 10:07 AM
Grotz are great at screening your better units, and a small squad of them with an Aegis gun is about the best AA your going to get. If someone throws down a damn good assault unit, then move and run the Grotz to wrap the unit so they can't move/ move little, and assault maybe 1 or 3 inches. This keeps them in place, and since Grotz are going to die fast, the assault unit will be further away from you for your Loota's and such to open up. Generally, Grotz aren't worth the enemies' shooting/assaulting unless they're on an objective, so they will be ignored. If you can force your opponent to deal with them, like wrapping their assault units, then those cheap grotz can save you the game. Also note, Big Gunz (aka your artillery) is insanely good for the points cost. T7 grotz with 3 missile launchers for well under 100 points, yes plz! :D

Badtucker
10-02-2013, 10:15 AM
i use them to man my any fortification that can, such as my ork fortress of redemption or agis. better BS and benefits from the fortification make them more than worth it :D
Other times they preform a nice objective or distraction unit, never unerestimate the power of 30 grot pistols. :D

Blackcloud6
10-02-2013, 10:34 AM
These are all great recommendations. I can see a use for these little fellers. Thanks much.

Tyrendian
10-02-2013, 10:43 AM
by the way, not having seen a Grot model in ages - are they even tall enough to be seen across an Aegis (assuming level playing field - elevantion can obviously change that either way...)?

Nabterayl
10-02-2013, 10:44 AM
i use them to man my any fortification that can, such as my ork fortress of redemption or agis. better BS and benefits from the fortification make them more than worth it :D
I also like using them for this purpose.

Cactus
10-02-2013, 12:51 PM
I keep mine in reserves and have them come in to sit on my objectives in my deployment zone. I had a mob of 20 hold up a unit of striking scorpions once...

SON OF ROMULOUS
10-02-2013, 01:11 PM
they are one of the few units that i try and run against the fluff for my speed freaks. they are amazing objective sitters for insanely cheap. they are wonderful screening units. their shooting is the best bs an ork will get. their small enough to take advantage of cover more easily then any other unit in the game. I know that they are just a great unit to take in any ork list. it all comes down to what niche you need them to fill in your army. me i want my boys and bikers advancing i don't want them back in my deployment zone. their to expensive for that compared to a grot mob sitting on an objective.