PDA

View Full Version : deffkoptas or warbirkes?

Rough Touch
10-01-2013, 12:39 PM
I like both models but I don't know what one would be more effective in game

any ideas?:confused:

Nabterayl
10-01-2013, 01:06 PM
Unless you're looking for rokkit platforms (in which case the question is really warbikes vs. warbuggies), I strongly vote for warbikes. I use both warbikes and rokkit koptaz, and I would definitely not use the rokkit koptaz as gun platforms. Warbikes are cheaper, essentially just as fast (sometimes you have to go around difficult terrain), but they have a 4+ cover save just for existing, which the deffkoptaz don't. Also, the warbikes can get a nob, whereas the koptaz can't.

Dave Mcturk
10-01-2013, 01:42 PM
5 x koptas @ 35pts with 36" tl 5/5 and 'outflanking' can be v. useful but yes they run away like scaredy cats without a nob...
but even with a 4+ cover save [often negated] the warbikers are range limited...

so imo unless running a 'biker' style army where warbikers are always troops.. i would go with the cheap koptas ... they really p**s off light vehicles and other rubbish in the open with an effective range of 48" where bikers struggle to deliver at 30"... just watch out when they count as scoring units cos its a double edged sword...

in 5th rokkit koptaz were reasonably awesome if overpriced... in 6th with overwatch and ... cough.. hull points... ... the 35 pt kopta is almost a give away...

Cactus
10-01-2013, 02:09 PM
I'm a kopta fan.

The first game I used them, I fielded three in a unit and had a lot of success (twin-liked rokkits.) I've added three more and have dual kopta units zipping around and pissing people off. Since they are so cheap, I'll often make kamikaze runs at dev squads or other jerks hiding behind defense lines or other players who have msu (Tau drones are fun too.) Actually, since the koptas often survive, it's not really a suicide run at all.

SON OF ROMULOUS
10-01-2013, 02:14 PM
i run speed freaks with wazdakka so i run both units. 3 large biker units and 2 full kopta units and i have yet to be disappointed with either. but its all a question of what you want them to do. my koptas hunt tanks. the twin linked rockets aren't as bad on them and the shootas on the bike's tend to just cause havoc. so for me its a question of how do i get more of each :)

Mr.Pickelz
10-01-2013, 02:21 PM
I'm more of a Bikerz fan. Their shooting volumes are crazy good (assault 3, Twin-linked) Even on Overwatch they can put out a good amount of shots. Wazdakka and Zhadsnark (IA) also have some cool rules attached to them, like Wazdakka's Str 8 gun that can fire after Turboboosting, or Zhadsnark's Power Klaw striking at normal initiative. And if your running a Biker based list, then having both is really simple. A six man unit of Bikers (use em as a shooty unit not assaulty) multiplied gives you plenty of room to toss in other nice things, like Meganobz in a Battlewagon, Dakkajets, Lots-O-Deffkoptas, Lootas behind an Aegis, etc... If you take them in smaller numbers the Nob with Klaw isn't worth the points, and best to leave AT to units like DeffKoptas and Tankbustas, or Shokk Attack Gunz, etc...

SotonShades
10-01-2013, 04:00 PM
I absolutely LOVE Koptas. Being able to outflank is great, everyone always underestimates just how many big shoota shots they put out, buzzsaws are great, especially against units that would normally just challange out a powerklaw nob. Having 2 wounds is fantastic (and often forgotten). But are they competitive...

I think bikes are overall a better choice 9 times out of 10, especially if you take the character to make them troops. Scouting Koptas with rokkits are decent enough tank hunters, being able to get around the side and rear of vehicles quickly, but you use a LOT of point to do that, and as others have all ready said, it is very easy to make them run.

Like so many things, I think it comes down to what else is in your army. All ready have plenty of speed? then you don't need the 24" turboboost from the koptas. Got the plenty of troops units that are hard to kill off (NObz)? probably don't need higher toughness bikers. As much as anything, they are going to be your models. If you dont like the look or feel of them, you won't enjoy playing them

Dave Mcturk
10-01-2013, 04:16 PM
koptaz give you the chance to hum ride of the valkyries as you deploy them... worth 50pts per game ....

Rough Touch
10-01-2013, 04:40 PM
i Like the firepower and Buzzsaw idea, they would get some nice damage, and im guessing they get jinx rule.
Bikers have more models + forge world and i like the dude with the big gun.....

almost all of you are saying Koptaz so maybe them.......i cant have both as i already have storm boyz

thanks for the quick replys everyone

Rough Touch
10-01-2013, 04:53 PM
....Reading it back a lot of you like Bikers too! and i like the toughness of the bikes. Thing is i really want a weird boy and a Mega armoured general so im going to have to give one of these up if i go for the bikers.
...would be nice to not have normal ork boys though i could have a biker unit and a mega armour unit for troops.
think im going to have to sleep in it

Eberk
10-02-2013, 12:12 AM
koptaz give you the chance to hum ride of the valkyries as you deploy them... worth 50pts per game ....
+1
That alone is reason enough to take 3 full units of Koptas :D

Sly
10-02-2013, 08:34 AM
Bikes are better in general, but take one unit of Deffkoptas with Wazdakka in it to soak up the S8-9 shots that otherwise insta-kill them. His S8 shots match up better with the rokkits of the Deffkoptas, and he can protect them for a couple of rounds before charging forward to join a unit of Bikes that is going to assault.

Rough Touch
10-02-2013, 08:55 AM
that's a great idea Sly, welldone you

reading the replays I have another question
some people are saying bikers have a 4+ normal save and some saying the save is 4+ cover save (what of course is better) in the book it just said dust cloud so its leaning towards cover save but does not say it anywhere

Cactus
10-02-2013, 12:57 PM
that's a great idea Sly, welldone you

reading the replays I have another question
some people are saying bikers have a 4+ normal save and some saying the save is 4+ cover save (what of course is better) in the book it just said dust cloud so its leaning towards cover save but does not say it anywhere

It's a cover save.

Nabterayl
10-02-2013, 01:01 PM
They have both. A warbike confers a 4+ cover save due to the Exhaust Cloud special rule, and a 4+ armor save. As page 41 says (http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m3180058a_Orks_v1.4_APRIL13.pdf):

Any model mounted on a Warbike changes their unit type to Bike, gains a 4+ armour save and has the Exhaust Cloud special rule.

Dave Mcturk
10-02-2013, 01:47 PM
always seems odd that 'bikes' get exhaust cloud but not koptaz... but they do get two wounds...

the 5th ed trick of charging koptaz from reserve is double nerfed in 6th ... reserves cannot charge on the turn they arrive, and overwatch is a real bu**er... so keep them at 36" as gun platforms ... ordinary warbikers just have to get too close !

Nabterayl
10-02-2013, 03:30 PM
always seems odd that 'bikes' get exhaust cloud but not koptaz... but they do get two wounds...
Deffkoptaz ... get ... two ... wounds :eek:

That goes a long way towards explaining why I've always found mine so fragile.