PDA

View Full Version : Most Codices have an auto include unit. What is the Space Marine Auto include.

Spamthulhu
09-30-2013, 11:51 AM
Not counting troops type units.

Tau have the Riptide
Eldar have Wave Serpent Spam
Grey Knights have the Dreadknight
Tyranids have Flyrants and Tervigons
Chaos has the Helldrake
Imperial Guard have the Vendetta
Demons have the flying Monstrous creatures spam

I look at my marine brothers and don't see any auto includes. A lot of units that are useful in many roles but no unit that see's every single list. Nothing you just feel like you have to buy.

Anyone have an Auto include? I used to always include Sternguard in every list but looking at the new book their use has been slightly less important.

DarkLink
09-30-2013, 11:59 AM
The Dreadknight is very much not an auto include. It's not even particularly competitive. Coteaz is, for his multitude of abilities, but that's it. Even the psyrifle Dread isn't as important in 6th.

Spamthulhu
09-30-2013, 12:12 PM
The Dreadknight is very much not an auto include. It's not even particularly competitive. Coteaz is, for his multitude of abilities, but that's it. Even the psyrifle Dread isn't as important in 6th.

Okay, I have seen a Dreadknight in most lists I have seen so I assumed it had achieved auto include status.

SaveModifier
09-30-2013, 01:37 PM
Okay, I have seen a Dreadknight in most lists I have seen so I assumed it had achieved auto include status.

Nah, its just a cool, fun unit, its not taken much by the competitive WAAC guys.

I think its a bit early for the list makers to decide what the "auto-include" for Space Marines is, it seems pretty nicely balanced really.
Once they've found a way to break the codex, DarkLink will be happy to tell you which unit is the best according to a blog he read ;)

DWest
09-30-2013, 01:53 PM
Actually, I'm gonna go with the Thunderfire Cannon. For 100 points you get a 4-shot Str 6 Barrage gun, with an alt-fire mode that helps slow down the enemy, on a tough-as-nails platform, which also can buff the terrain for you and wander over to repair vehicles if there's nothing to shoot it at. Just one TFC will massacre Horde units, and can even ruin power armor through sheer quantity of wounds.

Asuryan
09-30-2013, 02:23 PM
Actually, I'm gonna go with the Thunderfire Cannon. For 100 points you get a 4-shot Str 6 Barrage gun, with an alt-fire mode that helps slow down the enemy, on a tough-as-nails platform, which also can buff the terrain for you and wander over to repair vehicles if there's nothing to shoot it at. Just one TFC will massacre Horde units, and can even ruin power armor through sheer quantity of wounds.

I agree but the space marine book seems balanced in that while the TFC is amazing some people don't want to spend a FOC slot on it for other options.

Patrick Boyle
09-30-2013, 03:49 PM

After playing a couple games with the new one I'm kinda split on the new TFC. Barrage is nice for being able to fire indirectly, and sniping out characters, but at the same time if that first shot misses wide, well...

Wolfshade
09-30-2013, 04:10 PM
This is all very subjective. I've not played against a vendetta since the model first came out.

Marines have an auto include: Librarian.

Or at least this was before the new codex, it is still too early for any meta to be divined.

ChacoStylez
09-30-2013, 04:11 PM
I'm going to say Sternguard are an auto-include, at least for me.

Their versatility with special issue ammunition and solid stats do it for me, and what better way to represent a Deathwatch kill team to fight alongside your battle brothers!

I'm sure others would have a favorite, maybe you should make this into a poll, which should show better responses at a glance as well!

Deadlift
09-30-2013, 04:59 PM
My marine auto is TH/SS terminators, they get **** done.

YorkNecromancer
09-30-2013, 05:14 PM

This.

DarkLink
09-30-2013, 05:39 PM
Once they've found a way to break the codex, DarkLink will be happy to tell you which unit is the best according to a blog he read ;)

I don't actually read very many blogs. Only BoLS, which doesn't have much in depth tactics stuff, and Frontline Gaming, but I'm buddies with those guys IRL so that doesn't really count, either. You play enough games at a competitive level, and you start to get to know what really works and what doesn't.

Mr.Pickelz
09-30-2013, 07:14 PM
An Auto-include for Grey Knights would be the Psycannon...
For regular Marines, I'd say the tactical squad, the versatility of that unit make it good regardless of which kind of list your going to play with. If your including FW in this discussion, then the Demo-Cannon wielding Landraider(i forgot the name) can be a huge threat and top the priority kill list your opponent will make.

Edit: Also, i would say Sternguard in a drop pod would compliment any list a SM player can come up with.

DarkLink
09-30-2013, 08:28 PM
I don't think Marines will have any one auto-include, but they will have heavy competition for a certain limited pool of units. HQ will probably be either Tigirius, Khan, or a CM on a Bike, for example. Overall, there's pretty good balance with most units, though a lot kind of got the shaft (BT characters, Chaplains).

Katharon
09-30-2013, 11:25 PM
#1 Librarian
#2 TH/SS Termies
#3 Flakk Missile upgrades to Dev marines MLs.

Occam
10-01-2013, 12:17 AM
I play Necrons, so my auto-include is the HQ unit. ;/

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
10-01-2013, 01:27 AM

I hate my TH/SS Terminators, they're cursed.

Aventine
10-01-2013, 02:47 AM
I play Necrons, so my auto-include is the HQ unit. ;/

This was funny to me because I play my Necrons with an un-upgraded Overlord. He doesn't get off his plane unless someone makes him... (you know how often I give up Slay the Warlord? Never.)

Cactus
10-01-2013, 08:30 AM
Just in the early games I've seen, Vulkan and/or Centurions have been in almost all the lists.

Stone Edwards
10-01-2013, 10:10 AM
Personally I always include a Tac squad in my SM lists........ ;)

Haighus
10-01-2013, 10:49 AM
He did say not including troops choices, so not counting tac squads.

DarkLink
10-01-2013, 10:51 AM
Just in the early games I've seen, Vulkan and/or Centurions have been in almost all the lists.

Everyone locally has a biker master now. Even me, though i havent actually played a game yet. I'm waiting to paint my army first, since SMs (and eldar) are both secondary armies.

kire
10-01-2013, 11:05 AM
#1 Librarian
#2 TH/SS Termies
#3 Flakk Missile upgrades to Dev marines MLs.

i hope #3 is a joke flakk is so over costed it might as well not be in the book

Tynskel
10-01-2013, 12:23 PM
Although I am all for Captains and Masters to back into leading Space Marines... I am a little disappointed that everyone wants to give them bikes. It makes sense, though.

Getting Eternal Warrior on a 4 wound character that can just zip around is pretty nuts.

40kGamer
10-07-2013, 09:29 AM
Everyone locally has a biker master now. Even me, though i havent actually played a game yet. I'm waiting to paint my army first, since SMs (and eldar) are both secondary armies.

Heresy! Eldar take a back seat to noone! :D

My Eldar auto include has been Swooping Hawks for ages...

MajorWesJanson
10-07-2013, 10:02 AM

Agreed. Thunderfire Cannon locally has started appearing all over. FLGS has sold about 10 of them in the last month, compared to 1-2 the last year or two.
Grav Gun bikers are also pretty handy.

DarkLink
10-07-2013, 10:35 AM
Grav gun bikers, eternal warrior CMs, TFCs, Sternguard in drop pods, and THSS terminators will all be pretty common, I think.