PDA

View Full Version : White Scars successor All-comer 2000pts

impact
09-28-2013, 02:15 PM
This is my conceptual list for my Storm Lions, a White Scars successor chapter.

150 Captain on a bike w/ The Teeth of Terra, artificer armor an an auspex
He's going to lead the command squad

195 Command Squad on bikes w/ Company Champion w/ power lance, Apothecary and 3 meltaguns
This is the hammer. The Company Champion is there to free up the Captain for unit slaughtering and to keep the Apothecary from getting challenged.

160 Librarian (Mastery Level 2) w/ The Shield Eternal, force sword and bike
He's going to hang out with a Bike Squad and roll twice on the Biomancy Table

253 Space Marine Bike Squad x8 w/ 2 plasma guns, combi-plasma, and an Attack Bike
This is my 2+ Armor and Monstrous Creature hunters

253 Space Marine Bike Squad x8 w/ 2 meltaguns, combi-melta, and an Attack Bike w/ multi-melta
Vehicle hunting squad

253 Space Marine Bike Squad x8 w/ 2 gravguns, combi-grav and an Attack Bike
More 2+ Armor eaters

140 Stormtalon Gunship w/ twin-linked lascannon
Anti-air and Monstrous Creature

140 Stormtalon Gunship w/ twin-linked lascannon
More Anti-air and Monstrous Creature

100 Thunderfire Cannon
Because I want one and he can repair the Stalker if I need him to

220 Devastator Squad x7 w/ 4x lascannons
More hate in general, and one bolter squad member will fire the Quad-gun on the Aegis Line with the bonus from the Sergeant's signum

75 Stalker
Dedicated Anit-Air & I like the model

100 Aegis Defence Line w/ Quad-gun
For a stable firebase

1998 Points Total

Just looking on general feedback anyone else familiar with bike armies has to say.

FlangeNabber
10-01-2013, 12:33 AM
Not sure about the agis line,
There seems to be a trend to have more terrain now days, so it's not too hard to find some cover for the devs. Not to mention you can then fortify that cover with the techmarine that comes with the Thunder fire.
If you're worried about fliers in you local meta you could then use that 100pts saved and with a little more tweaking get another storm talon with skyhammer missiles

I also prefer the flexibility the typoon launchers give over the las cannons on the storm talons and with the amount of melta your bike squads can pack I don't think you need las for anti tank.

My last thought is on the bike squad sizes, a full squad is good if you plan to combat squad, but I personally find multiple large squads a lillte cumbersome to move about. Those squads have a huge foot print and will end up tripping over each other if you keep them close to support each other or will get picked off one at a time if you split them up.

I guess a lot of this will just come down to personal preference and play style, I'm still re-learning how to use my white scars with the new dex. I can say that with the new rules the white scars are awesome fun to pay again!

Luckee22
10-08-2013, 01:57 PM
Auto-passing dangerous terrain gets you around a lot of the maneuver difficulties that for instance Iron Hands bikers are going to have trouble with. Also, with the way your firebase can be tucked away in a back corner just plinking away, frees up some more table space. The stalker seems out of place for me personally, but it is a neat looking model.

I think you're going to get good mileage out of a veteran power fist with your melta bikes. I've been facing a bunch of wave serpents recently that make my melta guns cry themselves to sleep. But having the ability to tear off a couple of hull points and then punch it to death makes a lot of difference for me. Whatever's in there will be scary and do you some damage but hopefully 10 wounds and a 4+ cover save will mitigate some of that.

The HQ squad puzzles me a bit. It seems the idea is to hunt down problem squads in transports. But you seem to have too many gubbins for accomplishing this. Your ideal target looks like a battle wagon with 20 shoota boys but that's not too common around my neck of the woods. IG vets in a chim, dark eldar warriors in a raider and the like are all going to be mowed down by the command squad. However, anything that gets to shoot at this elite block is going to be rewarded. I think you'll get more bang for your points switching the command squad to another melta bike squad. More bodies, more scoring and less obvious of a target. Bike armies suffer way more from their casualties than other armies so it's usually better to ere on the side of more bikes than more punchy.

This also frees you up to make him a chapter master with claw and teeth (check out Katharon's "Building a better chapter master" thread for how nasty this guy is in cc).

chicop76
10-08-2013, 08:31 PM
Don't forget about TELEPATHY which can give invisibility to bikes which means +2 cover save

damage
10-10-2013, 08:08 PM
Looks pretty balanced in general. I haven't gotten any games in with the new codex though. In the previous iteration, my bikes were always kinda meh in hth. Hit and run should mitigate that somewhat, but a pf on the sgt always helps.
I'd mostly object as a fluff bunny. Defense line? Attack!!!!!

chicop76
10-10-2013, 08:42 PM
Looks pretty balanced in general. I haven't gotten any games in with the new codex though. In the previous iteration, my bikes were always kinda meh in hth. Hit and run should mitigate that somewhat, but a pf on the sgt always helps.
I'd mostly object as a fluff bunny. Defense line? Attack!!!!!

Invisibility lowers ws to one, negates overwatch and counter charge and white scars have strength five hammer of wrath attacks.

Between hallucination and invisibility you can really own in combat.