PDA

View Full Version : 40k Chaos Nurgle Lord with Black Mace

Slushosaur
09-26-2013, 03:08 PM
So after quite a bit of a break from modelling and painting I've got myself back into things by concentrating on an aspect of my Chaos force I love more than all the rest, the oozing, sliming, dribbling, stomach churning, gut wrenching, air fouling, plague carrying, fun loving guys, the followers of Nurgle!

Since I'd reclaimed a whole bunch of old metal Plague Marines and updated them with modern arms, packs etc I decided it was time for a nice big fat Lord for them to follow into combat. Nothing shouted that out at me more than the gorgeous Fantasy Chaos Champion. Now while i do love his nice big axe it just wasn't going to work for my Lord, I wanted to field him using the one true nasty weapon a Nurgle Lord deserves and that's The Black Mace! So after a quick search and some robbing from friends bits boxes i came across exactly what i was after, the smoking mace from the end of the Skaven Hellpit abominations arm, Its big and the trailing smoke creates a nice cinematic effect as it sweeps around the Lord.

After that was done the rest was a simple and easy modification of the mini, Chaos Nurgle pad slapped on shoulder, Dark Vengeance Lord pack attached to back, spare bolt pistol on waist, half a guard flamer pack strapped to other side and some carefully dremelled holes and cable wire added to fill in the gaps around the pack! I left the base simple as there is already more than enough detail on the model itself.

now to break out the paints and get cracking!

Slushosaur
09-26-2013, 03:14 PM
With the smoke trailing up it broke the outline of the model and made it look too top heavy so i opted for a sort of dropping mist effect that doesn't overpower the rest of the Mini. In case anyone is wondering, the Mace is the small mace hand from the Skaven hellpit abomination.

So on to what i call stage 2: Dry brushing to within an inch of its life! lol Helps me see all the details and plan out how i'm going to paint certain areas etc.

Slushosaur
09-26-2013, 03:18 PM
So since the largest area of the model is his Skin i decided to do that first, it would allow me to dry brush more and create a nicer depth of tone that if i did the other areas first, this way i could be more smooth and relaxed about it. I drybrushed a layer of Tausept Ochre across the body as i wanted a really necrotic flesh effect rather than the pinky glow of the Fantasy model, I then added bubonic brown followed by some good old bleached bone. I then broke out the washes and gave things a general going over with some thraka green so emphasise the nurgle feel. I repeated the bubonic and bone so the green was in the recesses and had a nice shade effect. Then came the fun part, rotting flesh and oozing sores! using several layers of ogryn flesh, leviathan purple and gryphonne sepia a built up the sore wound areas around the broken skin and pustules, adding a dab of tentacle pink to the holes with a wash of purple gives the impression of the flesh underneath, similarly with the spilling entrails but i added a dash of scab and mephiston reds as there is blood dripping nearby and on its own it looked separate from the rest. I basically did these wash and dry brush steps over and over until i was happy with the colours. Next i tackle the idea of chipping paint and rusting metals!

Slushosaur
09-26-2013, 03:22 PM
Ok almost done now! For the armour i basically applied boltgun metal everywhere followed by a badab black wash, slight drybrush with runefang steel then on to weathering! I used Ogryn flesh to rust up all the eras around the pock marks, joints and edges then brushed again with a little runefang to bring the edges back up, applied a dirty gold to the helmet, shoulder line and skulls on the pack and washed them again. I then stipled my army armour colours over the top, leaving areas that where ruined or would create heavy wear. So on to the final stage, Mace, picking out bones, details and double checking!

Slushosaur
09-26-2013, 03:26 PM
And the final Finished model! Easy last step, boned up all the spikes and skulls with 3 shades of brown and Agrax earthshade wash, finished the green mist, blackened up the Mace and the applied Ard coat for the slime and wet effects to the oozing areas. Now to slay some loyalist scum!

Slushosaur
09-26-2013, 03:28 PM
Here he is alongside the Fantasy version I did for my friends Warriors of Chaos Force...

vharing
09-26-2013, 07:00 PM
That is some amazing work you did on that model. Like you, it called to me but I converted mine to be a deamon. Seeing you rs I wish I had made it a chaos marine though.

Netsurfer733
09-27-2013, 04:59 PM
Man, why do I even try XD Lol - I haven't really gotten into it again after a decade long hiatus yet anyway.

So...nevermind, and you have blown my mind with awesomeness.