PDA

View Full Version : Basic squads for bolter drill?

Terminator
09-24-2013, 10:27 PM
Would it be efficient with Imperial Fists chapter tactics to run certain squads"bare" and just focus on bolter drill? Examples such as 5 Terminators deep striking with 5x storm bolters at 200 or 10 Tactical Marines with 10x bolters in a Rhino for 175? Obviously other elements in the army would have to do anti-tank, etc.

daboarder
09-24-2013, 10:33 PM
Would it be efficient with Imperial Fists chapter tactics to run certain squads"bare" and just focus on bolter drill? Examples such as 5 Terminators deep striking with 5x storm bolters at 200 or 10 Tactical Marines with 10x bolters in a Rhino for 175? Obviously other elements in the army would have to do anti-tank, etc.

While bolter drill is pretty nice, it doesn't make up for the loss of special and heavy weapons, as all it does is help you engage the same units that bolters already could, with a slight boost in efficiency.

Cadian122
09-24-2013, 11:02 PM
While bolter drill is pretty nice, it doesn't make up for the loss of special and heavy weapons, as all it does is help you engage the same units that bolters already could, with a slight boost in efficiency.

What he said. I've found I take Heavy Bolters in my IF army Tac squads though. So in that respect, I tend to leave the anti-tank to the other units, but I always take special weapons as well (usually Melta/Flamer), and you can use the Bolt Pistol of the special weapon chap if you don't want to use the special weapon.

Paulo187
09-25-2013, 03:30 PM
It seems pretty clear cut to me. If you are running Imperial Fists you should give the Tactical Squads Boltguns and a Heavy Bolter to take advantage of the "Bolter Drill" rule while leaving your anti-tank duties to the Devastators so that they can get their tank hunters bonus with the "Siegemasters" rule. Any further weaknesses in your force should be made up by equipping your vehicles accordingly.