PDA

View Full Version : Space Wolf drop army - commentary needed:

Denzark
09-24-2013, 01:05 PM
Chaps

Herewith 2 iterations of a Space Wolf Drop Army.

The limitations: 1500pts, all pods.

Version 1:

HQ: Logan Grimnar
HQ: Rune Priest
Troops: 10 Grey Hunters, Pod, 2 meltas, Wolf standard, Wulfen.
Troops: 10 Grey Hunters, Pod, 2 meltas, Wolf standard, Wulfen.
Troops: 10 Grey Hunters, Pod, 2 plasma, Wolf standard, Wulfen.
Troops: 6 Wolf Guard, 6 x Combi Plasma. Pod
Troops: 4 Wolf Guard, 4 x Combi Flamer. Pod
Heavy Support: Long Fangs, 4 x Multi-melta, 1 Melta. Pod

The plan - LG drops with the Long Fangs for relentless. The Priest goes either with the LF or the Wolf Guard. Combi flamers assault hordes, Combi Plasma suicides MCs or Terminators.

The problem - Only 3 pods on first turn, need to survive to get a reserve roll. LG many points.

Version 2:

HQ: Runepriest.
HQ Runepriest.
Troops: 9 GH, pod, 1 flamer, power fist.
Troops: 9 GH, pod, 1 plasma, wolf standard, wulfen.
Troops: 9 GH, pod, 1 melta, wolf standard, wulfen.
Troops, 9 GH, pod, 1 melta, wolf standard, wulfen.
Elites: 6 Wolf Guard, pod, 6 x combi plasma.
Elites: 6 Wolf Guard, pod, 6 x Combi (either melta or flamer, undecided)
Elites: 4 Wolf Guard, pod, 4 x Combi Weapons (to mirror the squads above).

The plan: the 4 wolf guard split to the squads. The 7th pod means I can get 4 down turn 1. I am considering swapping a priest for a Wolf Priest to give preferred enemy to the Wolfguard combi plasma assassins. Just not sure if this is as good as Version 1, I have less reusable special weapons. I could lose the standards and wulfen but I intend to be in hth turn 2, so...

Any thoughts appreciated.

Demonus
09-24-2013, 01:49 PM
I like the first list though Logan is pricey. Only problem I forsee is fliers. CSM lists may tear you up with their Drakes.

Denzark
09-24-2013, 02:24 PM
Flyers are indeed a problem. I have pretty much decided to what I have seen called 'pay the flyer tax' ie just ignore them and suffer. The intent is to adopt the North Vietnamese tactic used against US airstrikes in 'Nam - 'grab them by the belts' ie get in so close they have trouble targeting. Turn 1, turn up and dakka. Turn 2 charge with high king and wolf standards to the fore.

Demonus
09-24-2013, 03:22 PM
Yeah until SW get a 6e update, it looks like ADLs and Allies are the only AA we will get. My SW usually do pretty well in Drop Pods, except vs Tau that seem to decimate me, and unless I lend my friend my Hell Drakes. Of course lately, I just...."forget to bring them" hehe :)

40kGamer
09-24-2013, 03:40 PM
One option I have played with is to take 7 pods and minimize what is in 3 of them. Drop 4 with the Lion's share of the army in turn 1. Flyers and Tau with interceptor are both painful beyond imagination! :)

blackarmchair
09-24-2013, 08:20 PM
If you're going to take Logan, you should take Wolf Guard packs with multiple combi-weapons, that's the only real reason to take Logan since everything PAWG do GH do better.

So..out of the two I prefer the second list.