PDA

View Full Version : Raven Guard Jump Troop Question

Autarch
09-16-2013, 11:08 AM
Hey gang. Asking this question for my brother who plays a Ravenguard successor chapter. So Ravenguard jump infantry can jump 12" in the movment phase, and then another 12" in the assault phase, but can they assault afterwords ? Or is like a 12" run? Thanks in advance.

Nabterayl
09-16-2013, 11:21 AM
Raven Guard get to use their jump packs in the movement phase and the assault phase, but that doesn't mean they get multiple moves. They can use their jump packs in the Movement phase to get a 12" move, and they can use them in the Assault phase to get a re-rollable charge distance and Hammer of Wrath. Normal jump troops have to pick one or the other each turn.

kire
09-16-2013, 11:23 AM
Raven guard can use there jump packs in both the movement and assault phase. so that's a 12" move in the movement phase and in the assault phase may re-roll its assault distance and gain the hammer of wrath special rule. you may not assault after running. remember in 6th charge distances are 2D6" it could be 12" or it could be 2" with around 8" being a safe bet with the ability to re-roll charges.

Autarch
09-16-2013, 11:28 AM
Wow. Thats really odd...but I busted out the main book and confirmed that you are indeed right. That seems really lame though. I've never used jump infantry before, and it goes to show how long its been since I fought against assault marines. Definitley lame, both should be standard but alas it is what it is.... Thanks though I really appreciate it.

Tynskel
09-16-2013, 11:33 AM
Wow. Thats really odd...but I busted out the main book and confirmed that you are indeed right. That seems really lame though. I've never used jump infantry before, and it goes to show how long its been since I fought against assault marines. Definitley lame, both should be standard but alas it is what it is.... Thanks though I really appreciate it.

I don't know what kinda crack you are smoking, but this is FAR from being lame.
You get to jump 12" ignoring terrain, then you get to jump 2D6". re-rolling individual dice, and ignore intervening terrain.

Normal Jump Packs cannot jump twice in a turn.
Most everything else can only move 6" a turn, let alone, not ignore terrain.

Even using jump pack once per turn is a significant advantage over standard infantry.

Autarch
09-16-2013, 11:51 AM
Perhaps lame compared to what I thought it was. I thought they were getting a 24" move with the potential for assault afterwards. Its my bad really for not knowing how jump infantry work. I'm an Eldar player who hasnt used warp spiders or hawks in years. Bad choice of words on my part. Cool but not the insane I thought it was. :)

Nabterayl
09-16-2013, 12:00 PM
Yeah, it's not super incredible sexy, but it is good. It makes your charges appreciably more reliable, and you get Hammer of Wrath to increase the effectiveness of your assault marines (who, most people seem to agree, could use all the help they can get). If you compare it to normal assault marines, who either jump 12" and then walk into assault or else walk 6" and then jump into assault, I think it's a significant improvement.

Tynskel
09-18-2013, 05:44 AM
Moving on the order of 12" + ~9" +d6" each turn while ignoring terrain (aka, slowing movement), is pretty nuts. (the extra d6" is assuming winning combat at some point). It is wicked fast, and something that even tanks struggle to do. In fact, tanks basically cannot do that, and kill, while assault marines can.

This doesn't make the assault marine broken, but it sure makes them worth while.

I'm still waiting for the ability to take assault marines with Bolters.
Death Company can do so, but they have so many other special rules, that they become pretty expensive. Not to mention, cannot claim.