PDA

View Full Version : Acts of Faith as Psychic Powers?

ElectricPaladin
09-16-2013, 12:55 AM
I got bored and decided to throw this together. The idea is that instead of the Acts of Faith system as it is now, how about if we just treated the canoness as a Level 1 Psyker?

I'm not saying that this is what GW will do - or even necessarily what they should do - but I am interested in your help kicking this list of powers around and working out the kinks. I'm sure its terribly balanced as it is and needs all sorts of improvements... which I'm hoping you'll help me work out. If I ever get a friend to let me try it out in a casual game, I'll come back here and let you know how it went.

In other words - and this is important - this list of psychic powers would replace the current list of Acts of Faith. No model would have the Acts of Faith special rule. Instead, all canonesses would be Level 1 Psykers who must roll for their powers from the following list:

Invocations of the Emperor's Might

Primaris Power: Bulwark of Faith

The canoness call upon the Emperor's protection and stand fast in the face of the enemy's attacks. With their faith on their side, even the most powerful attacks turn aside.

Bulwark of Faith is a blessing that targets a single friendly unit within 24''. The target unit's invulnerable save, if any, is improved by 1 (ie. a 6+ invulnerable save becomes a 5+ invulnerable save). If members of the unit have different invulnerable saves, each save is improved individually. No save can be better than 2+. Furthermore, the effected unit becomes Fearless until the beginning of the next turn.

1. The Passion

The canoness gives a rousing speech to her sisters, pushing them to feats of prowess they didn't know themselves capable of.

The Passion is a blessing that targets the canoness's unit. The unit gains +1 Initiative, +1 Strength, and the Preferred Enemy special rule.

2. Light of the Emperor

The canoness invokes the Emperor's blessing upon nearby allies.

Light of the Emperor is a blessing that effects a friendly unit with 24''. When this power is used, the player picks one of the following effects:
• The unit immediately regroups.
• The unit can reroll failed ranged To Hit rolls of 1.
• The unit can reroll failed combat To Hit rolls of 1.

3. Holy Fusillade

The canoness invokes the Emperor's curse, marking a nearby enemy for death.

Holy Fusillade is a malediction which targets an enemy unit within 24''. All ranged attacks made by friendly units against the target count as being twin-linked.

4. Sacred Abjuration

The canoness's face takes on a saintly aspect, filling her enemies with debilitating self-loathing.

Sacred Abjuration is a malediction which targets an enemy unit within 12''. While this power is in effect, the target unit must pass a Leadership test to move, run, shoot, or charge into melee. Even if it passes its leadership test, it treats open ground as though it were difficult terrain and fights at -1 BS and WS.

5. Battle Blessing

The canoness invokes the Emperor's wrath, asking Him on Earth to use her allies as a vessel of His judgment.

Battle Blessing is a blessing that effects the canoness and her unit. All their attacks gain +1 Strength, -1 AP, and the Ignores Cover special rule.

6. Martyrdom

The canoness calls upon her sisters to perform the ultimate act of self-sacrifice. Their bodies are consumed in a wave of holy fire as their souls spring forth and assault the enemy.

Martyrdom is a witchfire power with the following profile:

Range: 24'', S: X, AP: 6-X, Type: Heavy 1, Blast*

In this profile, X is equal to the number of friendly models from Codex: Sisters of Battle within 24'' of the target (but not necessarily from the canoness) which their controller removes from play as casualties. The removal of these models does not count for purposes of forcing Leadership tests or determining the outcome of an assault. Models that are currently locked in combat can be removed in this way; if all models in base-to-base with enemy models are removed, the unit is no longer in melee. I the player sacrifices between 1 and 5 models, this power creates a small blast. If the player sacrifices 6 or more, it creates a large blast.

This attack has Preferred Enemy: Daemons and Preferred Enemy: Chaos Space Marines.

Kreedos
09-16-2013, 03:36 AM
Sorry to rain on your parade, but in the fluff & Black Library books, they're all blanks. No latent psychic ability and psychic powers do not work in their presence.

Learn2Eel
09-16-2013, 03:47 AM
Sorry to rain on your parade, but in the fluff & Black Library books, they're all blanks. No latent psychic ability and psychic powers do not work in their presence.

Are you sure you aren't thinking of Sisters of Silence?

Kreedos
09-16-2013, 05:13 AM
Are you sure you aren't thinking of Sisters of Silence?

Who were the heresy predecessors of the Hereticius branch, which the Sisters of Battle were guardians and protectors to. Sisters used to have psychic resistance in the old codex, and a lot of their fluff was stripped out in the WD version. Reguardless if they're complete blanks or not, they have a hatred for everything psychic, and have psychic resistance.

SaveModifier
09-16-2013, 05:33 AM
Who were the heresy predecessors of the Hereticius branch, which the Sisters of Battle were guardians and protectors to. Sisters used to have psychic resistance in the old codex, and a lot of their fluff was stripped out in the WD version. Reguardless if they're complete blanks or not, they have a hatred for everything psychic, and have psychic resistance.

No fluff has ever pointed at the Sisters being Blanks at all, there might be Sisters that are Blanks, but thats a co-incidence sorry!

The fluff is also pretty clear that the Acts of Faith are the Emperors influence, due to their faith in him, the Emperor is working through the Warp, the Sisters may not be Psykers, but they powers they use are those of the Emperor

Learn2Eel
09-16-2013, 05:57 AM

Sounds like you confused them with Sisters of Silence. As SaveModifier points out, Sisters of Battle are not all psychic blanks as your originally stated.

ElectricPaladin
09-16-2013, 07:11 AM
Yes, the majority of you all have the right of it. Sisters are not blanks. Blanks are rare and precious in the Imperium; there aren't enough blanks to field an elite army of blanks, let alone a horde army of blanks. Furthermore, while you do get the occasional functional blank, most blanks have... issues. Take Jurgen from the Ciaphas Cain novels. When you make a hole in the Warp, it's because some fundamentally human quality is missing.

That said, I could see some sort of Elites-slot unit of Sisters who are blanks. But no, they aren't all blanks.

Now, when I imagined this, I wasn't picturing canonesses as properly "psykers." I was picturing them as the focus for the entire force's worship and adoration for the Emperor. Her powers are psychic in that they are manifestations of the fervent emotions of a large number of people... ie, the power of the Warp. They aren't psychic in the sense that she isn't a psyker. Furthermore, I picture the Sisters not acknowledging that their powers are psychic. They're ignorant enough to view them as miracles of faith sent by the Emperor.

Learn2Eel
09-16-2013, 07:25 AM
On your last paragraph EP, Tyranids have a similar fluff clarification in their psyker special rule; they are actually drawing their power from the Hive Mind, and any Perils they suffer is cerebral trauma or synaptic overload.

ElectricPaladin
09-16-2013, 07:36 AM
On your last paragraph EP, Tyranids have a similar fluff clarification in their psyker special rule; they are actually drawing their power from the Hive Mind, and any Perils they suffer is cerebral trauma or synaptic overload.

That's a really good point - thanks, Eel.

So... has anyone got any commentary on the actual powers I wrote? I already see flaws in them, but I'd love to read what the older hands think.

Chris*ta
09-16-2013, 09:33 AM
Two quick points:
1) Power number 1 should specify what happens to individuals in the unit with no invulnerable save. Do they get a 6+? Or no save?

2) Part of the point of Acts of Faith as they currently exist is that every unit has access to them.

Either the Canoness needs to be a higher ranked psychic, or units need to be capable of their own powers/buffs (similar to GKs, I guess).