PDA

View Full Version : The One-Click Chapter is real

kire
09-13-2013, 07:56 PM
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440270a&prodId=prod2160196a

biffster666
09-13-2013, 08:52 PM
This time no Thunderhawk???? Boo, Boo I say.

lobster-overlord
09-13-2013, 09:11 PM
if I still had the job I had 12 years ago, I could afford to do this... but as it stands now, this is half my post-tax and insurance income

ElectricPaladin
09-13-2013, 09:37 PM
if I still had the job I had 12 years ago, I could afford to do this... but as it stands now, this is half my post-tax and insurance income

This is about a quarter of my post-tax and insurance income - though it's worth noting that the only things good about my job's compensation is that my insurance is dirt cheap and my retirement fund is amazing - so there is no way that I will ever own it. I'm also not sure I want to. I mean, gradually acquiring new stuffs is half the fun, isn't it? Imagine the discipline it would take to tell yourself "no, I just blew $12 on an entire chapter, I can't get more bikes just because I want more bikes" or whatever.

Bigred
09-13-2013, 10:01 PM
The problem with 12K of models is the 12k of pro painting budget on top of it.

ElectricPaladin
09-13-2013, 10:03 PM
The problem with 12K of models is the 12k of pro painting budget on top of it.

Are you kidding me? I'd paint the entire thing myself - even if I didn't like painting - just so I could say I'd done it!

White Tiger88
09-13-2013, 10:09 PM
Are you kidding me? I'd paint the entire thing myself - even if I didn't like painting - just so I could say I'd done it!

Air Brush + Beer + Paint + more Beer = Army painted?

Mr.Pickelz
09-13-2013, 10:46 PM
"Air Brush + Beer + Paint + more Beer = Army painted? "

This would be my tactic, but per model... Then again, the army would also not get done till well into 8th edition.:p

White Tiger88
09-13-2013, 10:57 PM
"Air Brush + Beer + Paint + more Beer = Army painted? "

This would be my tactic, but per model... Then again, the army would also not get done till well into 8th edition.:p

8th? you are painting to much and drinking to little......more like 10th for me :P

Katharon
09-13-2013, 11:55 PM
This one-click bundle actually saves you money too. They're asking price for the bundle is $11,690. The actual cost of everything in that bundle bought (if bought individually) is $13,023.75 [before tax]. So you save $1,393.75 on buying the bundle...

What can I say? I was bored.

Also, that isn't counting the cost of buying the paint or glue necessary to put together and paint this entire chapter of space marines.

eldargal
09-14-2013, 12:04 AM
Alongside the entire Chapter of Space Marines you'll also receive a signed copy of Codex: Space Marines; a signed copy of Insignium Astartes (the definitive guide to the heraldries and squad markings of the Ultramarines); a full Chapter organisation chart; a breakdown of the composition of each of the 10 companies; a signed art print of the Codex: Space Marines book cover; and a signed art print of Paul Dainton's painting of the Ultramarines assembled for battle.
Insignium Astartes? Is that a new thing or an old thing I've not heard of? Is it bad that signed copies of things make me more desirous of purchasing this?:rolleyes:

Katharon
09-14-2013, 12:10 AM
Insignium Astartes? Is that a new thing or an old thing I've not heard of? Is it bad that signed copies of things make me more desirous of purchasing this?:rolleyes:

Black Library thing.

http://www.blacklibrary.com/Images/Product/DefaultBL/xlarge/insignium-astartes.jpg

eldargal
09-14-2013, 12:10 AM
Thought it was probably something like that.

Arkhan Land
09-14-2013, 12:16 AM
I just finished painting a whole company and good chunk of armoury vehicles, took me about i dont know... 8 months to finish it up, I don' t want to even think about how long a whole chapter would take

ElectricPaladin
09-14-2013, 12:18 AM
I just finished painting a whole company and good chunk of armoury vehicles, took me about i dont know... 8 months to finish it up, I don' t want to even think about how long a whole chapter would take

Eight months per company times ten companies is eighty months. Assuming you can maintain the same rate, of course. That's almost seven years.

DWest
09-14-2013, 12:19 AM
It would make for a wicked game of Apocalypse though.

"And what are you bringing to the Apoc table?"

"The Ultramarines."

"Uh, like how many?"

"All of them."

As pictured, the Ultramarines Chapter is worth approximately 35,500 points, +/- 1000. In case anyone was wondering.

ElectricPaladin
09-14-2013, 12:20 AM
As pictured, the Ultramarines Chapter is worth approximately 35,500 points, +/- 1000. In case anyone was wondering.

So, seven years to paint them, and then seven years to play the game. Sounds legit.

Skullchewer
09-14-2013, 12:21 AM
Well, I stand corrected. I really didn't think this would be a thing. I hope they don't do this with Orks or my wife will destroy me.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
09-14-2013, 12:42 AM
I want 47 Rhinos.

Pssyche
09-14-2013, 01:03 AM
What beats me on the web page is that there's a box for "Quantity", like as if you might say to yourself "You know what? I think I'll get three..."

Ha ha ha ha ha...

White Tiger88
09-14-2013, 01:05 AM
What beats me on the web page is that there's a box for "Quantity", like as if you might say to yourself "You know what? I think I'll get three..."

Ha ha ha ha ha...

Naw you order 10.....for pickup\payment at your local gw...GAHAHAHAHAHHAAAAA (if only...)

Cap'nSmurfs
09-14-2013, 03:47 AM
I have no idea who is going to buy this, but presumably somebody will.

RGilbert26
09-14-2013, 04:10 AM
I'd imagine a few of the GW Hobbyists in the rich Arab States will. I've often heard from FW staff that they tend to make big orders a few times a year, so I can easily imagine them buying at least 5 of these :p

Pssyche
09-14-2013, 04:20 AM
You know like when your dice aren't rolling too well, you bin them and get a new set.
(Because everybody knows that dice don't obey the laws of probability...)

If the GW Hobbyists in the rich Arab States lose a few games on the trot with their Chapter, will they accuse them of being jinxed, throw them away and get a new Chapter?

Kirsten
09-14-2013, 04:26 AM
they should do other chapters too, like blood angels.

White Tiger88
09-14-2013, 05:08 AM
You know like when your dice aren't rolling too well, you bin them and get a new set.
(Because everybody knows that dice don't obey the laws of probability...)

If the GW Hobbyists in the rich Arab States lose a few games on the trot with their Chapter, will they accuse them of being jinxed, throw them away and get a new Chapter?

If so want to go Dumpster diving?

nathaneal246
09-14-2013, 06:04 AM
Ridiculous! I love painting, but that would be way too much for me! I would join a syndicate or something to paint like a company but theres no way I could paint an entire chapter!

Arkhan Land
09-14-2013, 07:46 AM
Eight months per company times ten companies is eighty months. Assuming you can maintain the same rate, of course. That's almost seven years.

Terrifying, or Terrifyingly Awesome...?

Pssyche
09-14-2013, 07:55 AM
If so want to go Dumpster diving?

Hoo yeah!

I believe it gets quite hot this time of year...

On topic, how many points does a Chapter weigh in at, roughly?

Chris Copeland
09-14-2013, 08:21 AM
I can't even imagine how horrible it would be to have that many unassembled and unpainted models sitting there. Just thinking about an assembly/modeling queue that big depresses me. What kind of masochist would do that to himself even if he could afford it?

Here's my take: they don't actually expect to sell any of these. Rather, it's a marketing ploy to generate chatter amongst the nerd-set.

Asymmetrical Xeno
09-14-2013, 08:24 AM
Here's my take: they don't actually expect to sell any of these. Rather, it's a marketing ploy to generate chatter amongst the nerd-set.

This is what I was thinking too. Allthough a millionare might buy it for his son or something.

Deadlift
09-14-2013, 08:29 AM
It is rather ridiculous. Personally if I had that kind of money to flitter away, it would be on a trip to disney for the kids.

A full company might tempt me one day, but a whole chapter. Not going to happen.

Kawauso
09-14-2013, 08:50 AM
This is just...awesome.

I don't know why, but it makes me happy that this exists.

Maybe it's just seeing the chapter laid out like this in models? Something about it is just cool.

I am a little curious as to who's going to wind up buying these, though...you know -someone- will.

plawolf
09-14-2013, 09:07 AM
Australians might buy it, have some plastic crack mules smuggle it across the boarder and make a tidy profit undercutting GW's silly pricing down there.

TBH, I cannot think of a more effective way to kill off my love for the hobby than to have a whole chapter in unopened boxes piled around my house. The sheer size of the task would just depress me and make me take up a new hobby to escape from this one. :p

ElectricPaladin
09-14-2013, 09:14 AM
I can't even imagine how horrible it would be to have that many unassembled and unpainted models sitting there. Just thinking about an assembly/modeling queue that big depresses me. What kind of masochist would do that to himself even if he could afford it?

So, you think it's a prestige item? Like how many game stores have $80 dice made of semi-precious stones in the dice case. They don't expect to sell them - well, to sell many of them - but it generates interest to see them sitting there.

Chris Copeland
09-14-2013, 09:19 AM
Exactly! It gets the nerds (us) buzzing!

Cap'nSmurfs
09-14-2013, 11:10 AM
There's some rich people out there. And not just petrochemical billionaires. I'm sure it'll sell a handful.

But yes, it's mostly to say, hey, look at this cool thing!

ElectricPaladin
09-14-2013, 11:19 AM
There's some rich people out there. And not just petrochemical billionaires. I'm sure it'll sell a handful.

But yes, it's mostly to say, hey, look at this cool thing!

Though, I was thinking about said retirement benefits. Maybe I'll get one for myself in thirty years when I retire from teaching... they do say that part of the problem that districts have is that by the time you've been teaching for 35 years and qualify for 90% of your pay for life as a severance package, most teachers are like old leather and go on to live into their 90s. That should give me enough time to finish a chapter before I go to the Emperor's rest...

Cap'nSmurfs
09-14-2013, 11:35 AM
My brother pointed out that if it included a free trip to Warhammer World, to be personally presented with your Chapter by Phil Kelly, it'd probably sell more. I'm inclined to agree.

lobster-overlord
09-14-2013, 11:39 AM
This whole chapter makes me want to pull out my SMs from storage. I've not had time lately to work on them, but considering I've got 2 battle companies, Vet company, devastator company and a 50+ model death company, I would think I'm well to having a chapter myself (although I only have 1 actual rhino....tons of other vehicles though.)

The Weekly Wargamer
09-14-2013, 12:44 PM
I personally HATE the idea of ordering your own chapter... Now where did I leave my bank details...

Wolfshade
09-14-2013, 02:57 PM
I am just thinking how big the bitz box will be after this.

Brakkart
09-14-2013, 03:40 PM
It is an interesting deal to look through that's for sure. Were I to win the lottery I have to say I'd be tempted, though I'd certainly be adding to that package, as it has no Scout Bikes, only 2 Vindicator's and not enough Predators for my liking, plus if I had that kind of cash to splash on the hobby I'd want to add a load of Forgeworld stuff on and then find a painting studio mad enough to paint the whole lot up. While they were doing that, I'd have to find a house with a room large enough for all the display cabinets it would take to host a whole chapter and a monster order to Battlefoam too should I ever want/need to transport it all.

mearn4d10
09-17-2013, 12:28 PM
It is an interesting deal to look through that's for sure. Were I to win the lottery I have to say I'd be tempted, though I'd certainly be adding to that package, as it has no Scout Bikes, only 2 Vindicator's and not enough Predators for my liking, plus if I had that kind of cash to splash on the hobby I'd want to add a load of Forgeworld stuff on and then find a painting studio mad enough to paint the whole lot up. While they were doing that, I'd have to find a house with a room large enough for all the display cabinets it would take to host a whole chapter and a monster order to Battlefoam too should I ever want/need to transport it all.

*takes notes for personal I Won The Lottery List* I like they planning here, please, keep going...

Psychosplodge
09-17-2013, 01:28 PM

If money wasn't an issue in lottery win sense, I'd build it myself instead of one clicking, just so Got exactly what I wanted...

Kawauso
09-17-2013, 09:20 PM
If money wasn't an issue in lottery win sense, I'd build it myself instead of one clicking, just so Got exactly what I wanted...

But this thing would be the one click you'd need to cover the basics for any chapter.
It covers all the infantry (unless you prefer a different ratio of 1st-company veterans in terminator/power armour).

The only thing it doesn't do is accurately cover the chapter's motor pool or the vehicles assigned to each company on a permanent basis...and I actually kind of find that disappointing, all things considered. I mean not including Thunderhawks is one thing because they're FW, but you'd think they could at least have as many vehicles as the SM codex says the Ultramarines have at their disposal.

Psychosplodge
09-18-2013, 01:49 AM
Well I'd drop all the centurions for a start.
But that's what I mean, if you have that much money, you'd tailor it to your specs...

Katharon
09-18-2013, 04:45 AM
Dude, it comes with 37 Rhinos...THIRTY-SEVEN RHINOS. That alone is enough for the companies that require ground transport.

Brakkart
09-18-2013, 10:13 AM
Dude, it comes with 37 Rhinos...THIRTY-SEVEN RHINOS. That alone is enough for the companies that require ground transport.

Actually it comes with 47 of them and 10 Razorbacks (4 separate plus the 6 that are in the 6 Strike Force boxes that the deal includes). But I'd guess the vehicles that Kawauso is referring to are the ones on the Ultramarine's Chapter Org list in the 5th ed codex, that are not in this deal. The 5th edition codex lists the Ultramarine's Armoury as having:

25 Predators
8 Vindicators
9 Whirlwinds
12 Land Raiders (13 counting Maximus which is listed separately)

The sixth edition codex lists the Armoury as having:

52 Battle Tanks (combining Predators, Whirlwinds, Vindicators, Hunters & Stalkers)
12 Land Raiders (No separate listing for Maximus this time)
14 Gunships
24 Centurion Suits
19 Land Speeders

In this deal you get:

5 Predators
2 Vindicators
3 Whirlwinds
7 Stalker/Hunters
10 Land Raiders
3 Stormraven Gunships
7 Stormtalon Gunships
11 Land Speeders (plus another 5 that are Storms)
36 Centurion Suits (12 squad boxes)

Arkhan Land
09-18-2013, 12:28 PM
I could almost be into it if they had a deal where you could just buy the armory by itself

Kawauso
09-18-2013, 02:25 PM
Actually it comes with 47 of them and 10 Razorbacks (4 separate plus the 6 that are in the 6 Strike Force boxes that the deal includes). But I'd guess the vehicles that Kawauso is referring to are the ones on the Ultramarine's Chapter Org list in the 5th ed codex, that are not in this deal. The 5th edition codex lists the Ultramarine's Armoury as having:

25 Predators
8 Vindicators
9 Whirlwinds
12 Land Raiders (13 counting Maximus which is listed separately)

The sixth edition codex lists the Armoury as having:

52 Battle Tanks (combining Predators, Whirlwinds, Vindicators, Hunters & Stalkers)
12 Land Raiders (No separate listing for Maximus this time)
14 Gunships
24 Centurion Suits
19 Land Speeders

In this deal you get:

5 Predators
2 Vindicators
3 Whirlwinds
7 Stalker/Hunters
10 Land Raiders
3 Stormraven Gunships
7 Stormtalon Gunships
11 Land Speeders (plus another 5 that are Storms)
36 Centurion Suits (12 squad boxes)

Exactly. And unlisted in the Ultramarines Force Org in either codex are the Land Raiders of the first company (it has LR variants assigned to it which are not part of the chapter's motor pool) as well as the Rhino/Razorback transports which, unless I'm mistaken, are assigned on a permanent basis to about every squad in the chapter. Which means they should have something like ~80-90 Rhinos/Razorbacks (1 per squad, perhaps less in the 1st company and none in the 10th).

I think it'd make sense for most squads to have access to drop pods, too, so combined with the Dreadnoughts and support machinery like Thunderfire Cannons, etc. you're looking at around ~90-100 Drop Pods...

I realize I'm being nit-picky, but this is an insane, over-the-top purchase we're talking about...they could at least endeavour to make it more accurate, yeah? Or, as Arkhan said, have the motor pool be a separate purchase or something.

Tynskel
09-18-2013, 07:00 PM
Exactly. And unlisted in the Ultramarines Force Org in either codex are the Land Raiders of the first company (it has LR variants assigned to it which are not part of the chapter's motor pool) as well as the Rhino/Razorback transports which, unless I'm mistaken, are assigned on a permanent basis to about every squad in the chapter. Which means they should have something like ~80-90 Rhinos/Razorbacks (1 per squad, perhaps less in the 1st company and none in the 10th).

I think it'd make sense for most squads to have access to drop pods, too, so combined with the Dreadnoughts and support machinery like Thunderfire Cannons, etc. you're looking at around ~90-100 Drop Pods...

I realize I'm being nit-picky, but this is an insane, over-the-top purchase we're talking about...they could at least endeavour to make it more accurate, yeah? Or, as Arkhan said, have the motor pool be a separate purchase or something.

You should read the fine print. This is what Calgar deployed at the Battle of Orar's Sepulchre 888.M41

Kawauso
09-18-2013, 08:36 PM
You should read the fine print. This is what Calgar deployed at the Battle of Orar's Sepulchre 888.M41

Eh, I noticed that, but it's still called a 'complete chapter'. So it's only kind of correct...and that's the sort of tiny detail that bugs me. :(

Also it's strange that the deployment includes more Centurion suits than their codex depicts as existing in the entire chapter...unless in this battle they lost a bunch that they haven't replaced.

Psychosplodge
09-19-2013, 01:30 AM
I'd think drop pods would be fleet assets, so would depend on the number per strike cruiser/ battle barge.
iirc I read a battle barge can deploy three companies simultaneously, so even if we assume one company is going by Thunderhawk, that's the ability to launch twenty drop pods at once... and supposing they need refurbishment/maintenance between deployments they probably carry considerably more...

Tynskel
09-19-2013, 06:18 AM
Eh, I noticed that, but it's still called a 'complete chapter'. So it's only kind of correct...and that's the sort of tiny detail that bugs me. :(

Also it's strange that the deployment includes more Centurion suits than their codex depicts as existing in the entire chapter...unless in this battle they lost a bunch that they haven't replaced.

I think that's the point. The size of a chapter, and the assets that a chapter has is always in flux.

Kaptain Badrukk
09-19-2013, 06:33 AM
All I'll say is this, it's big and actually saves you money (thanks Katharon).
GW have released a bundle deal where you save money.
I say again, you save money.
$1393.75 saving is actually pretty good (over 10%).
That doesn't take into account the discount on the Strike Forces either I'm guessing?
I would like to see more of this.
At smaller scales. 1 click bundles providing 10% discounts and BFs etc sticking to their fixed 1-kit-free model would actually offer decent pricing.
You know what just figured for me. In the uK that means a stafer can buy an entire chapter of marines for £3.75K
That ain't bad!

Brakkart
09-20-2013, 10:34 AM
Just noticed that it has been dropped in price from £7065 to £7000. As Tesco would say "Every little helps!" :D

Psychosplodge
09-23-2013, 01:37 AM
Well that's made all the difference to my buying plans.

Mike X
09-24-2013, 11:02 AM
Just noticed that it has been dropped in price from £7065 to £7000. As Tesco would say "Every little helps!" :D

Yup, it also dropped in America to $11,500 (was $11,690). Could be the first time in history that GW has lowered their price on something!

Cap'nSmurfs
09-24-2013, 02:02 PM
It's not anything like the first time.

biffster666
09-24-2013, 06:37 PM
It's not anything like the first time.

^Truth

madlants
09-24-2013, 10:40 PM
What about online bits shops and internet auctioneers? Might they buy one of these and sell the kits or bits individually for a profit? With the current price decrease, savings are nearly $1600. That's nothing to sneeze at.

deinol
09-25-2013, 12:33 AM
What about online bits shops and internet auctioneers? Might they buy one of these and sell the kits or bits individually for a profit? With the current price decrease, savings are nearly $1600. That's nothing to sneeze at.

If you are outlaying that much cash, you could become a retailer and get a much better discount.

kire
09-26-2013, 10:29 PM
Thanks to GW's new policy if you become a retailer you can't sell bits.

Kawauso
09-27-2013, 07:40 AM

Aside from retailers being unable to sell GW parts, when you consider that online retailers are able to offer discounts from 20-30% off MRSP and still make a profit, and that if they bought the one-click chapter they'd have to re-sell it at full price (piecemeal...and in its entirety) to make a profit of a measly $1600...

There's absolutely no way anyone could realistically make money through such an endeavour.