PDA

View Full Version : Black Templars and Land Raiders

YorkNecromancer
09-13-2013, 11:31 AM
So BT get Land Raider Crusaders as a troop transport. The current meta is for str 7 to plink tanks to death, but that just doesn't work on AV14.

So: will we see an increase of BT assault armies, using their mobile bunkers to make an absolute mockery of the current state of the meta? Something like a squad of seven disposable Neophytes, seven Initiates with chainswords, and a Sword Brother to lay the smack down? Four of those would be quite the solid Troop choice...

ElectricPaladin
09-13-2013, 11:35 AM
So BT get Land Raider Crusaders as a troop transport. The current meta is for str 7 to plink tanks to death, but that just doesn't work on AV14.

So: will we see an increase of BT assault armies, using their mobile bunkers to make an absolute mockery of the current state of the meta? Something like a squad of seven disposable Neophytes, seven Initiates with chainswords, and a Sword Brother to lay the smack down? Four of those would be quite the solid Troop choice...

I have found that this works very well with any Space Marine army. Blood Angels can do the same thing, putting assault marines or even tacticals (assault marines work better) in a land raider. With the shift towards Strength 7 shooting, my crudser frequently cruises around the entire game, chewing up whole squads with its incredible dakka, with the squad inside only jumping out when it's a totally unfair fight (in my favor) or there's an objective to grab.

What you've really gotta watch out for is Deep Striking melta. That will still ruin your day, and I've found that it isn't totally gone, at least not in my meta.

Hexx2019
09-13-2013, 12:52 PM
I was thinking of this for my templar successor force... or the possibility of a curb stomp unit in with 10 initates, 5 scouts and an emperors champion... one of the initates being a SB with power fist and and a PW... everyone else with chainsword bolt pistol...I know its expensive and realistically not to tactical but I would love to have that pile out and cause some damage

Katharon
09-14-2013, 05:19 AM
S7 weapons only came into being more widely used because of the introduction of the Hull Point system for vehicles. You no longer had to penetrate a vehicle's armor to actually kill it -- now you can nickle and dime that sh*te all day long to death. This meant that every weapon choice that gave you a S7 weapon (autocannon spam for IG) was now pure gold, especially since they are usually cheaper point-wise and have a higher rate of fire than the weapons with higher armor piercing capabilities. No real surprise when you think about it logically. It makes me laugh at people sometimes to think how with the advent of 6th, so many were somehow surprised by "Oh look, I has S7 weapons too!" and started actually *using* them for once (not just plasma guns btw).

Black Templars have always been able to pull off interesting stunts with the Land Raider Crusaders (LR lists were very popular in 4th and 5th, never losing steam even when BTs got a bit weak in 5th) and they will continue to do that in 6th edition, I have no doubt.

The only problem is that you're going to be sinking a lot of points into your Land Raider Crusaders. To make a really successful list, you'll need at least three and that's 750 points -- half of a usual run-o-the-mill 1,5k army list. Doesn't leave much in the way of variety in your army.

Da Gargoyle
09-15-2013, 01:40 AM
I would not mind taking on that type of army. Although the new codex has cruelly taken my wraithgun fiendishness away from me<(Ithink the codex author saw the 6th Ed rules and said I can't let Eldar have it that easy), I think a couple of units of Fire Dragons could do the trick. And I suppose a decent squad of Banshees could handle the dudes that spring out of the burning hulk that was the raider. I have gotten used to pairing my Eldar units to get more flexibility out of them. The hassle would be that the Banshees would have to have hit the turf the turn before the Fire Dragons shoot the raider, or no assault, Tricky:rolleyes:

DarkLink
09-15-2013, 01:30 PM
So you're going to tailor your list?