PDA

View Full Version : Orbital Bombardment - did I miss something

L0ngstrom
09-12-2013, 12:39 PM
I've been reading several posts, and reading my iPad version of the rules, and I'm trying to find out where specifically it says that supports the "The Orbital Bombardment no longer disallows your movement."

I've read the part where it says "counts as firing a ranged weapon with the profile below", and if you see Ordinance Rules, it specifically states that "non-vehicle model carrying an Ordinance weapon cannot fire it in the Shooting phase if he moved in the proceeding Movement phase".

Now, I understand he can still charge the unit he launched the orbital bombardment on (as per the "does not prevent the Chapter Master and his unit from declaring a charge"), but if I moved in the movement phase, does that mean - I can still still launch my orbital bombardment?

IMO, it doesn't appear to be any different than the previous Codex. I'd just like to make sure I didn't miss anything (or if my iPAD version of the rules is showing it differently than the printed book, or some other electronic format).

Thanks - and I look forward to your responses.

Nabterayl
09-12-2013, 12:52 PM
I read that as a no. Now, it's true that in a lore sense, the chapter master is not "carrying" an ordnance weapon. But he still has an ordnance weapon, and I think it's a bit much to ask the rules to differentiate between a weapon that a model has and a weapon that a model is carrying, without the rules explicitly stating the difference. If he were carrying a battle cannon, it would be perfectly clear that he couldn't fire it after moving. I don't think the orbital bombardment is any different. It's an ordnance weapon that the chapter master has, so it can't be fired after he moves any more than any other ordnance weapon can.

DarkLink
09-12-2013, 01:10 PM
Unless he's relentless. Bike masters with the shield eternal are awesome.

Power Klawz
09-12-2013, 01:55 PM
Terminator armor and that super special artificer armor that makes you relentless also let you casually stroll along while directing an orbital bombardment. So yeah, quite a few ways to move and shoot ordnance with a Space Marine chapter master.

Houghten
09-12-2013, 02:19 PM
Fifth edition stated that you must remain stationary to drop the Orbital Bombardment, and the FAQ clarified that even Relentless models had to do so - there was no "as if they had remained stationary," you had to actually remain stationary.

This restriction has been lifted and now it's just regular ol' Ordnance, meaning that while a bog-standard Chapter Master in power armour can't bombard while walking, he's about the only one who can't.

kire
09-12-2013, 08:05 PM
Another oddity of it being a weapon and/or special rule is weather salamanders can master craft it. I'm inclined to say no but I'm sure someone will think yes

Katharon
09-12-2013, 11:47 PM
It's a special rule, not a weapon, and a Chapter Master can initiate an Orbital Bombardment at any time during a friendly shoot phase (and do other things as well).

MajorWesJanson
09-13-2013, 02:22 AM
Another oddity of it being a weapon and/or special rule is weather salamanders can master craft it. I'm inclined to say no but I'm sure someone will think yes

It's a shooting attack, but not a weapon, so no. Salamanders can't master-craft the shooting from a psychic power either. You can master-craft melta bombs and grenades though.